Not new to aquarium but new to CO2

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JWT

Reaction score
I have recently got it into planted aquariums I bought a CO2 setup and a drop Checker which came in today now it says I mix five drops of the solution with 5ml tank water but I've watched some of the other YouTube videos it says not to mix it like that also it didn't come with any instructions that tells me how long the test should take whether it's minutes or hours or how long that solution last is it just that one measurement throughout the day or just that one time. Please help

in the past people said to mix tank water with the indicator solution. But it has been found that that doesn't always work. The best way to do this is to mix pure water (distilled or RO would work) with sodium bicarbonate so that it has a KH or 4 degrees.Then mix in the indicator solution. The mix then goes in a drop checker The drop checker then is placed in the tank so that the indicator solution and tank water are separated by an air gap. The CO2 then crosses the air gap and changes the PH of the indicator solution. If you have the right level of CO2 the color of the solution to a lime green. If it is blue CO2 level are too low and if the color is yellow CO2 levels are too high. Once setup and in the tank it should be fine for at least a month. periodically you want to change out the solution .Ifyou don't the KH value of the indicator can get contaminated causing it to stop working or to incorrectly read CO2 levels. The video has more information.

You need to check the drop checker periodically (once a day is good) because CO2 flow rate can periodically change, sometimes rapidly. And if CO2levels get too high you fish can suddenly die.

I personally use the inverted bottle method instead. In this methode if something goes wrong your fish won't die. And you don't need to monitor CO2 levels with a drop checker. In fact a drop checker doesn't work with this CO2 methode.

This thread has some more information about CO2 including the methode I use.

I'm using the injection method on my tank - though I dont have any fish yet so have not had issues with overdosing. I think with a two stage regulator and a bubble counter it is very controlable. I usually find my drop checker is reflective of the level 1.5 - 2 hours ago so I do like to keep an eye on it.

For the drop checker which mix are you using? I was told at the weekend that the ADA ones can be mixed with tap water and last for ages where as some other brands are different and do need the distilled water. I use a pre mixed solution to avoid the need for this.

Wills

Okay I have another question can a fish get addicted to CO2 I have one white Molly every morning when I cut the CO2 on gets right over top of the diffuser and stays there and seems to go up the bubbles coming out of it it's there right now I'm looking at it eventually this is going to kill this fish right what am I supposed to do

Attachments

• 16049357967968248495642434006551.jpg
    16049357967968248495642434006551.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 39
As long as your drop checker indicates safe Idoubt it would kill the fish.My guess he just likes the feel of bubbles on his skin. I don't know if addition is possible but other than that I don't know. I have not seen this.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back