What's new

Norman’s Lampeye - Male or Female?

Ccp009

Reaction score
Hi,
Is anyone any good at sexing Lampeyes? Can’t work out if the one in the pictures is a male or female? (It’s the same one in all the pics just diff angles)

Attachments

Back in the fold

Fish Herder
Reaction score
They can be difficult to tell apart. I'm no expert on Lampeye's but I wanted to chime in and say that you are lucky. You don't find those all the time. Nice fish.

ElissaBee

Reaction score
Are yours fully grown? I have 4 of them in my tank (one of them jumped out :(). When I first got them a month or so ago I think they were not fully mature but now I can tell my 3 males easily from the one female by the anal fin. The anal fin on the males is much sharper and has more a "swoosh" shape while the female's is more rounded. Also the males have a yellowish hue.

OP
C

Ccp009

Reaction score
Are yours fully grown? I have 4 of them in my tank (one of them jumped out :(). When I first got them a month or so ago I think they were not fully mature but now I can tell my 3 males easily from the one female by the anal fin. The anal fin on the males is much sharper and has more a "swoosh" shape while the female's is more rounded. Also the males have a yellowish hue.
Yes it’s mature. So is mine male or female then in your opinion?