Epiplatys togolensis wild caught

GaryE

Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
11,297
Reaction score
20,580
Points
113
Location
Eastern Canada
So there I was, standing on top of a culvert looking down. And there they were - a dozen or so Epiplatys togolensis, hovering in a shallow arm of water. My friend was able to follow where I pointed and get a net under the group, which was the start of their long journey to eastern Canada and onto the forum!

I got 8 - 1 male and 7 females.
togomalemay14c.webp
togofemalemay14a.webp


It's a nice, not spectacular fish with great bug catching skills and a grumpy disposition. They like to hover and wallop any bug foolish enough to light on the water. I have surprisingly tiny fry from their surprisingly tiny eggs, which grow surprisingly quickly. Surprises are good.

Picture one = male. Picture two = females.
 
Splendid ! I like the cut of their jib . A surface feeder with an appetite too , so much the better . How fortunate to have fry since you only have the one male . I love how you started your post ! “ So there I was “ . That really conjures up an image .
 
@Back in the fold - you like your Indian Aplocheilichthys lineatus. Here's a very similar set of African relations.

My friend who actually caught them gave them to me because he was generous, but also because of their size. They are lineatus-like, in time. I like ambush predator, pike types. These ones hunt the surface and probably won't be a problem for small fishes. I expect they'd make short work of Cichlid fry though.

I use window fans all summer, and when they are off, insects can get through their screening. I don't think they'll last long...
 
I’ve heard of that genus but mine are Aplocheilus .
Ambush predators are fun to watch but you have to watch quick . Any insect unlucky enough to fall in has a very short lifespan .
Are you feeding them flies ?
Oops. Thinking lampeyes...

I give them some wingless fruit flies. They also have a great liking for bug bites pellets. They and my Epiplatys huberi are my only surface fish that go for them. Pellets are usually cory food here.

They even eat artemia nauplii, and mosquito larvae don't stand a chance. Even with a screen over the rainwater barrel here, I can feed a lot of fish with our incoming mosquito population. Those things don't take long to take off. I'm feeding hundreds daily to the fish. There are some large ponds within a kilometre, and mosquitoes are a fact of life after dark here.

The lights in the fishroom are on a bit longer than the fans are, and often in the morning, I see a handful of moths, small flies and mosquitoes buzzing around the ceiling. By afternoon, they've all made the mistake of being attracted to water, and the killies are pleased with their visits. It's a natural feeding supplement, and it would keep the fish on their toes, if they had toes.

I live dangerously, and keep these killies in 20 gallon tall tanks, only half to 2/3 full. With overhanging leaves from houseplants and partial covers, jumping's no problem.
 
Oops. Thinking lampeyes...

I give them some wingless fruit flies. They also have a great liking for bug bites pellets. They and my Epiplatys huberi are my only surface fish that go for them. Pellets are usually cory food here.

They even eat artemia nauplii, and mosquito larvae don't stand a chance. Even with a screen over the rainwater barrel here, I can feed a lot of fish with our incoming mosquito population. Those things don't take long to take off. I'm feeding hundreds daily to the fish. There are some large ponds within a kilometre, and mosquitoes are a fact of life after dark here.

The lights in the fishroom are on a bit longer than the fans are, and often in the morning, I see a handful of moths, small flies and mosquitoes buzzing around the ceiling. By afternoon, they've all made the mistake of being attracted to water, and the killies are pleased with their visits. It's a natural feeding supplement, and it would keep the fish on their toes, if they had toes.

I live dangerously, and keep these killies in 20 gallon tall tanks, only half to 2/3 full. With overhanging leaves from houseplants and partial covers, jumping's no problem.
Your fish sure found the right home . They eat like Kings !
I was wondering about the bugs being attracted to water but reading just a bit further I find out what happens . I think you are living dangerously but if it works then that’s all that matters .
I saw a video on YouTube where a guy had Aplocheilus lineatus in an uncovered 55 with only six inches or so of water in it and some of that thin spidery limbed driftwood and some plants in the upper part . He was feeding the fish crickets and some crickets got away into the stuff above . The fish watched those crickets and then jumped up and knocked them off their perches and into the water where they promptly devoured them . I just have to replicate that set up .
 
I have 13 young at about half an inch, and another bunch as small fry. Progress. Only one male makes me nervous too.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top