Breeding wild caught cardinal tetras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blackwater guru

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So for a while now I have wanted to set up a breeding tank for my 15 wild caught cardinal tetras that currently live in a 145 liter freshwater aquarium that mimics the freshwater rainforest rivers of south america .

I am looking to grow my skill when it comes to fish keeping so breeding cardinal tetras which are known to be challenging when it comes to breeding should give me a good challenge.

I am also thinking of making a cardinal tetra guide for beginners that I will upload in parts on youtube.

As far as I am concerned there seems to be a lot of things I can do it when it comes to making these fish spawn from what I have read so far.

Feeding them more often with a protein rich diet of things like bloodworms can trigger them to spawn.

Mimicing the rainy season and dry season is another way to trigger spawning and this can be done by letting them starve for a while with a lower water level and then slowly adding more cool water along with a lot of food .

Increasing the temperature can also work out with these fish when it comes to breeding them

Once I have found a male and a female I will have to place them in the breeding tank once I can see that the female is carrying eggs.

As far as I am aware the water should be rich in tannins and acidic with a pH of 6.5 or lower and they should also have a warmer temperature than normal preferably between 29-30 °C .

The eggs also need to be shaded because they will die if exposed to light so having plenty of floating plants and low lighting is a must have to ensure the survival of the eggs.

The biggest hurdle by far though is going to be keeping the tiny fry alive because not only are they hyper sensitive to changes in water parameters they also have special feeding requirements that initially involve feeding them tiny micro organisms barely visible to the human eye because otherwise they starve to death quickly .

It's not exactly uncommon for even experienced fish breeders to lose several fry when raising these babies so death is to be expected even if you do absolutely everything right.

When they are grown up I will probably give them away or sell them to a person looking for cardinal tetras or a local aquarium store that can take good care of them.

I have read a lot on the subject and I would say I am knowledgeable when it comes to knowing how to breed cardinal tetras.

I am looking forward to doing this during the summer this year when I am free from school for a few months.

Sounds interesting. Keep us posted :)

Post # 3 at the following link (which is one of your threads) has info on breeding cardinal tetras.

Post # 66 and 74 at the following link has info on breeding neon and cardinal tetras. They both breed the same way. You need the GH to be 0ppm.

The following link has information about culturing food for baby fish.

Good luck, I am also looking at breeding tetras. I already had red eye tetras breed and produce 14 adult tetras in my community tank. Now I am looking at trying glow light, neon and ember tetras. Had 2 possibly 3 glow light tetra fry show up in my tetra tank but none made it to adulthood :( Going to try again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back