Normal guppy behaviour?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yuhui

Reaction score
Is this normal for guppies?
My guppies keeps swimming very fast

It's called glass surfing and is common when fish are put into a new tank that is really clean. They can see through the glass but can't work out what it is so move over it trying to get past the invisible barrier. They usually stop doing it after a few days or when some algae grows over the glass.

It's called glass surfing and is common when fish are put into a new tank that is really clean. They can see through the glass but can't work out what it is so move over it trying to get past the invisible barrier. They usually stop doing it after a few days or when some algae grows over the glass.
I actually would like say my hypothesis on this subject. The term in which we call "glass surfing" isn't them exploring their barriers in my honest opinion. After a week and a half I saw one, and only one of my gudgeons doing this very thing. She is also the alpha in the tank... For the first few days I assumed this was her just exploring her boundaries but I kept watching her... Then I realized something... As she does this, she is flaring her fins out as if to prove her dominance... The glass on the sides is not see through. It is a mirror reflection on the inside but completely see through on the other side. I also noticed that it was only the two sides she would go after and not the front or back. So I believe that the fish thinks there is another fish of equal dominance trying to prove itself.

I actually would like say my hypothesis on this subject. The term in which we call "glass surfing" isn't them exploring their barriers in my honest opinion. After a week and a half I saw one, and only one of my gudgeons doing this very thing. She is also the alpha in the tank... For the first few days I assumed this was her just exploring her boundaries but I kept watching her... Then I realized something... As she does this, she is flaring her fins out as if to prove her dominance... The glass on the sides is not see through. It is a mirror reflection on the inside but completely see through on the other side. I also noticed that it was only the two sides she would go after and not the front or back. So I believe that the fish thinks there is another fish of equal dominance trying to prove itself.
That could be the case, but I remember that like a few days ago my guppies didn’t do the “glass surfing” thing but I did do a water change and notice they start doing that after.

also why big schools of fish sometimes like to go to the glass
more fish more happy
That could be the case, but I remember that like a few days ago my guppies didn’t do the “glass surfing” thing but I did do a water change and notice they start doing that after.
did you condition the water with the water change?
can you test your water before and after the water change to see if any fluctuations happened?

also why big schools of fish sometimes like to go to the glass
more fish more happy

did you condition the water with the water change?
can you test your water before and after the water change to see if any fluctuations happened?
Yeah I condition the water. I never thought to test it before but is always after.

If a fish is flaring at itself while moving over the glass, that is the fish trying to intimidate its reflection. However, in the case of the guppies moving over the glass rapidly, that is not intimidation or display, it is trying to work out what glass is.

No worries for this behavior. Quite normal.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back