Bubble eye guppies

emeraldking15 66

Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Joined
Sep 13, 2016
Messages
6,975
Reaction score
10,857
Points
113
Location
NL
It's awful but sadly in Asia they've created bubble eye guppies. They come in different colors and patterns nowadays. It's the dark side of the guppy hobby if you'd ask me.
Screenshot 2026-08-18 224421.webp
 
A female friend of mine who comes from Thailand happened to ask me if I knew where she could get some of those bubble eye guppies. While I didn't now anyone in my circle who could help her out, I told her if someone of her own family may get some for her. But these bubble eye guppies are prohibited in our country. I told her that I think that such guppies were freaks. But she just loved them. Something that is very typical for a lot of Asians. I'm mixed Asian but I truly dislike them.
She works at an lfs herself. But her employer only buys from Dutch wholesalers. And there's no Dutch wholesaler who's got them because of the strict regulations on such fish.
 
I really hope they don't catch on at all. I can understand that many people do not like 'morphs' or whatever it is you call fish that have been 'tweaked' for colours, patterns etc., but at least the animal / fish / reptile is more or less the same as it was created. There were obviously issues with a few snake morphs as time went on, so the particular morphs, insofar as I am aware, was not continued if it proved harmful in itself. I really do think as human animals, we do take things too far sometimes. 😟

And this is coming from someone who had a natural 'bobtail' boxer dog. 🤣 😜 (Corgi cross Boxer)
 
A female friend of mine who comes from Thailand happened to ask me if I knew where she could get some of those bubble eye guppies. While I didn't now anyone in my circle who could help her out, I told her if someone of her own family may get some for her. But these bubble eye guppies are prohibited in our country. I told her that I think that such guppies were freaks. But she just loved them. Something that is very typical for a lot of Asians. I'm mixed Asian but I truly dislike them.
She works at an lfs herself. But her employer only buys from Dutch wholesalers. And there's no Dutch wholesaler who's got them because of the strict regulations on such fish.
These should be banned in all countries. Hopefully, this would stop this kind of breeding. Although to some it would just make them more collectable. It's shocking to see strains like these being bred, none of which is for the welfare of the fish. :mad:
 
This is cruelty breeding. And no doubt, it'll be very popular.

In a perfect world, "innovations" like this would lead straight to bankruptcy, but we sure do like oversized fins, scoliosis backs making 'cute ' balloons, deformed mouths like blood parrots, swollen heads and harmless but GMOed colours... This is just part of a tradition within fishkeeping that's partly fuelled by sales all around the world.
 
These should be banned in all countries. Hopefully, this would stop this kind of breeding. Although to some it would just make them more collectable. It's shocking to see strains like these being bred, none of which is for the welfare of the fish. :mad:
I would definitely agree...
This is cruelty breeding. And no doubt, it'll be very popular.

In a perfect world, "innovations" like this would lead straight to bankruptcy, but we sure do like oversized fins, scoliosis backs making 'cute ' balloons, deformed mouths like blood parrots, swollen heads and harmless but GMOed colours... This is just part of a tradition within fishkeeping that's partly fuelled by sales all around the world.
Asia loves deformed fish as being exclusive fish. And as long as there's a demand on such fish, they'll keep on producing such horrible creatures. It's got also nothing to do with the wellbeing of these fish. It's the market that counts! Sell whatever possible seems to be key...!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top