What's new

No berried RCS

seangee

Reaction score
Haven't seen any with berries for around a month. Plenty of mature females (and males). The tank is not over-run. Mine always used to go into hiding the last few days before dropping their shrimplets but wandered around openly until then. There are plenty of hiding places and I haven't done a full search, but I also haven't seen any new shrimplets for a while.

Tested water before tonight's water change and no surprises. dGH:6, dKH:3, pH: 6.8, ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate <5 ppm, temp 25. Other inhabitants are CPD, MTS and a single nerite. Added some otos this week. The only thing that has changed is that through winter I have been adding heated water so the temp is constant. In summer and autumn the temp dropped a couple of degrees at water change.

Is this part of a normal cycle or should I investigate further?

Retired Viking

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have about a dozen ghost shrimp and several large females with no young yet for 2 months. I guess their not in the mood.:(

Colin_T

Reaction score
Shrimp have breeding cycles and breed prolifically for several months during spring and early summer, then they stop. Try changing the temperature for a few months.
Make sure there's plenty of food for them.

OP
seangee

seangee

Reaction score
Thanks @Colin_T
That's all I needed to know. As you say they are prolific so if they want a break over winter that's fine by me