Nitrite Spike After Large Water Change- It's Spiked Again

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I just tested the nitrites and it's blue, it's not light enough to be 0 it's not got any hints of purple to be 0.25 so I am just going to do a tiny 10% change or something to get it proper blue or should I leave it?

Bikerfish- I don't know what that is but I bought tetra safe start but I really don't think these kinds of products work. They are so expensive just a money making gimmick I think. Tetra safe start says it removes excess nitrite but obviously it doesn't. I think just water changes and perseverance is the key. I have water lettuce which a member on my journal said it's good for nitrites but I don't know what's going on I just hope it's over soon.

That's good news. Keep making small changes, as you are, until it reads a definite zero. Hopefully you'll be finished by tomorrow.

That's good news. Keep making small changes, as you are, until it reads a definite zero. Hopefully you'll be finished by tomorrow.

Thanks yes it's very good news! I only did a small water change this morning (1 bucket out) and it is a definite 0 now. I shall test it again tomorrow morning.
My snails arrived today, thay are so tiny 5 long pointed shells and 5 bright pink! They are burrowing in that sand like there's no tomorrow so i'm hoping the sand wont go black again. I syphon in circles making sure it's moved aswell.

This morning it was....0 :hyper:
I hope this is it now-i've not touched anything, i've not over fed, i've not moved anything about and i've not added anything apart from my snails.

I hope this is it now-i've not touched anything, i've not over fed, i've not moved anything about and i've not added anything apart from my snails.

Yaaaaay! :good:

However, you need to move your ornaments, wood and rocks around occasionally ( if possible) to stop any nasty build-up of sulphur compounds under them.

Now just wait for the snail explosion! :lol:

Yaaaaay! :good:

However, you need to move your ornaments, wood and rocks around occasionally ( if possible) to stop any nasty build-up of sulphur compounds under them.

Now just wait for the snail explosion! :lol:

The snails I got online are so tiny then there's the big one. Isn't it true that you only get over run if you over feed?

Yes that's exactly what I thought!

:lol:

Right so I tested the water this morning again-it's at 0 :D not dark blue, no hint of purple-proper turquoise blue :D
I'm so relieved. I will test it every day but go back to just doing a water change on a sunday if everything is ok.

Hi ny82 glad all. Ok. I just found out the i been doing my test worng alls ok with my water I am right plonker lol and thanks to evey one that helped me . Once again. I am a right plonker

well done, now you can just enjoy your fish.

Yes finally! Oh it was so worth it though.

Hi ny82 glad all. Ok. I just found out the i been doing my test worng alls ok with my water I am right plonker lol and thanks to evey one that helped me . Once again. I am a right plonker

Oh no, what happened? It's ok, everyone has bloopers-I couldn't get the nitrates to work - at all. Everytime I did the test it was 0. No matter how much I banged and shook the bottles still 0 then one day I did it and it suddenly went orange!
Weirdo things lol. Good that your waters fine though.

gald alls ok and the same here :good: hard work all that water changeing lol :hyper:
It certainly is but I have toned arms now with carrying heavy buckets back and forth! It has it's advantages for both us and fish! Who needs a workout lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back