Nitrite Spike After Large Water Change- It's Spiked Again

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I hope so. It's been a nightmare. A full week and a day later and it's finally settling down.

Hi sorry I was away yesterday and came back today. The nitrites were sitting at 0.25 so I did a 50% water change and it's down to 0 again. I hope it's on the decline now.

Today it is 0 :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: Thank god because I don't think my back can take any more lol. I will test the water again tonight. I have a snail in the tank I got him from dobbies, he is red/brown striped shell and just disappears but I see him at night. It said on the tank "tiger snail" but I think it's wrongly named.
I ordered some more last night - it was a mixed batch of 5 malaysian trumpet snails and 5 red ramshorn snails which my friend is going to take for his tank but I like the red/pink colour so might keep one. I got them for £1.50 online-bargain since dobbies sells each MTS and zebra snail for £4.99 each :blink:
They will be here tomorrow so hopefully no more spikes.

Tested it this morning and it's upto 0.25. Not too drastic I think it's definitely coming down now. I don't know what's causing it but i'm away to do a 50% change. Hopefully it stays stable today.
My fish are troopers lol swimming about and active even though the waters been like this for almost 2 weeks. Poor things.

good thing is that it's going down. You probably have a nice big colony of bacteria now.

Hi Ny82 I've been stalking this thread in the background and just wanted to say I'm rooting for you. I'd say well done too at this point but I don't want to jinx it!

Just read through the whole thread and wanted to say good luck I'm sure its pretty much sorted :good:

Thankyou everyone. Your support has kept me going-and stopped me from throwing everything out the window :rolleyes:
Robert good luck to you too!
I think it's just my cycle doing it's thing. I am hoping it now doesn't go above 0.25. It's taken long enough to get down to that so I am staying optimistic.
On a plus note-my plants are still green :p

I really feel for you at the mo as going through same thing as bought a bigger tank, but old filter to tall to fit so had to go new, all went tits up after all was fine buy adding few fish but as soon as put rest in :shout: trying new product out at mo called alpha but does not seem to be helping much

You know, I had bought that new filter and everything went smoothly I don't know why it suddenly just spiked. My stats were spot on but I saw one of the fish flashing and I changed the water. Note to self-if the waters fine-leave it!!! lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back