Nitrate Spike !

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chris348

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Took readings this evening, and even though we have been having problems with the PH levels - always 7.2 now 8.0 borderline 8.2 :rolleyes:

The nitrate has spiked to 80 !!! without warning. Have checked the tank to see if anyting is missing, what with the recent mantis shrimp episode. We are missing a royal gramma, or Torres as we called him. Cant find him anywhere and would hate to think it is Torres causing the spike.

We have been having problems with feeding the clowns, anything apart from live brineshrimp. No matter what we do with frozen foods, they just dont want to eat !!!!

Last resort is to remove the rocks but this would surely disturb the crabs and cleaning crew, along with the Blue Jawed Gobys, who are happily digging into the sand substrate.

Advice guys please /????

I am going to carry out a huge water change in the morning, but without disturbing all the LR and possibly harming the residents, what other options do i have ??

Please help

TBH, 80ppm nitrate really isn't that big a deal for the fish. Snails and corals, yes, fish no. You likely have a combination of 3 problems. Dead fish; mantis shrimp usually bury food in the sand bed which can decay and make nitrates; and finally, excess feeding an immature tank is a recepie for nitrate problems.

Solution, BIG waterchanges. At least 50%, and lean towards even higher than that. Even if the rock/corals/fish are out of water for a few seconds, its ok. Just make sure the makeup water has an identical salinity and temperature to the old nitrate-ridden water.

One double check though... What's your input water source? RO? Have you tested it's TDS? And have you tested your pre-mixed saltwater for nitrates? Every now and again a salt sample slips through quality control with high nitrates in the salt...

Thanks Ski,

Did a thorough check of the tank and found the royal gramma dead ! Had to remove him but caused major disturbance of the rocks and water condition though. At least there is only fish in the tank and not coral. Going to do a major 50% plus water change this afternoon and will check the LFS RO water levels. You mentioned TDS? The test kit i am using basically covers the usual 4, PH, Amonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Obviously I check the salinity and this is if my eyes dont decieve me slightly high :angry: now measures 128 ? Got some more plain RO water, so if the levels are the same after the water change i shall top off with that. PH levels are coming back, tested last night and now sitting pretty at 8.2, so that is 7.8 to 8.2 in over 2 days, nice and slow.

To kick things off a bit further, my largest cleaner shrimp was found dead at the bottom of the tank this morning !!!

Still struggling with getting the Clowns to feed with frozen shrimp, be it garlic laced or not. The 2 Blue Cheek Gobys are happy as Larry and eat when they want. Now going to reduce the food drastically until i can find some live brineshrimp, although my LFS does not have any in stock.

Shall keep you posted on the outcome.

Sure the shrimp wasn't just a molt? If it was the actual shrimp, they really don't do well with high nitrates, so I wouldn't be surprised :(

TDS = total dissolved solids. They are powered devices that you just stick in the water source and it gives you a reading. Technically they're just a calibrated resistivity meter. Really cheap and a great thing to have to make sure your RO water really is pure.

This is just soooo complicated ;)

I dont suppose there are some sticky's on the subject ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back