Nitra Zorb?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DreS

Reaction score
hi peeps, my tap water nitrate level is 80ppm which is a pain in the bum. what are my options to reduce the nitrate in my tank as water changes obviously dont reduce it below 80ppm.

ive heard about nita zorb -( http://www.123aquatics.co.uk/products/aquarium/treatments/water-treatments/api-nitra-zorb-1310.aspx )- would that work? is there anything else i could do?

my tank is a juwel rekord 800 which is 110L.

thanks and let me know if you need any other info.

hi peeps, my tap water nitrate level is 80ppm which is a pain in the bum. what are my options to reduce the nitrate in my tank as water changes obviously dont reduce it below 80ppm.

ive heard about nita zorb -( http://www.123aquatics.co.uk/products/aquarium/treatments/water-treatments/api-nitra-zorb-1310.aspx )- would that work? is there anything else i could do?

my tank is a juwel rekord 800 which is 110L.

thanks and let me know if you need any other info.
The only thing that springs to mind is live plants

Keith.

hi keith, i do have live plants in the tank. think ive got a good 18 or so in there at the moment. albeit 10 of them were only put in on tuesday night. should i start to see a drop in nitrate soon then due to the plants?

hi keith, i do have live plants in the tank. think ive got a good 18 or so in there at the moment. albeit 10 of them were only put in on tuesday night. should i start to see a drop in nitrate soon then due to the plants?
I don't keep live plants in my setups but i do know they will remove nitrate from the tank waters chemistry BUT how many plants you will require to remove a certain ammount i would not even like to guess. I'm sure one of the more experienced members will be along shortly to help.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help, Keith.

I can hardly ever find much nitrogen in this tank. The plants think it is nothing but fertilizer.
XenotaeniaCrop.jpg

My tapwater is 40ppm nitrate. I recently added live plants & honestly can see no difference in nitrate.

The plants look nice though.

I can hardly ever find much nitrogen in this tank. The plants think it is nothing but fertilizer.
XenotaeniaCrop.jpg

That is an awsome planted tank you have there. I wish I could do the same, but unfortunatly I just have the 1 tank so I have to compramise.

I know that 80 ppm seems high, but most fish can tolerate levels higher than that. I believe that waterdrop has more information on this than I do, so hopefully Terry will pop in and enlighten us all.

80 ppm of nitrate is not high for most fish. My sample tank with the NPT planting never sees more than about 10 ppm of nitrates, but that is not because the fish demand that level. Instead it is the result of having plenty of growing plants to absorb all available nitrogen. That tank is running with no artificial fertilizers but with tons of light and natural fertilizer. The lighting in that 40 gallon NPT breeder tank is about 2.5 WPG, not exactly low light in anyone's book. The fertilizer is quite natural, it is whatever I get from the decay of the generous feedings I give the fish in the tank.

Yes, when I first joined the forum I was surprised by the discussions among experienced aquarists here about various types of fish tolerating 400ppm nitrate and even some river catfish handling 1000ppm in some studies. Nitrate tolerance varies pretty dramatically by species from what I can tell although as the other members have said, the vast majority of the popular tropical fish species do ok with fairly high levels like 80 or 100ppm is my understanding (of course we like it when nitrate stays within 15 or 20ppm of our tap water nitrate, but sometimes things are beyond the hobbyists control.)

Word usually gets around about the minority of species that don't tolerate nitrate well. German Blue Rams (GBRs) spring immediately to mind and I'm sure the members can mention others.

WD

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back