Nightmare

minxfishy

Fish Maniac
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
8,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Went for a quick walk lunchtime with my little one, came home, went for a quick wee and thought what the hell is that noise??? It was 30 gallons of water emptying out of my tank over the worktop in the kitchen and flooding the kitchen floor :crazy: :(

Without thinking, grabbed the washing up bowl, rinsed it and jugged about 8 litres of water out of the tank, which was basically all that was left, it was coming out soooo fast. Netted the fish as quickly as possible, chucked some ornaments in, rescued my filters and dumped them in the bowl too.

The took an hour to mop up with towels and stuff all the water. Panic is an understatement, this was the first ever major tank leak Ive had and I never realised water could drain out of a tank that quickly. The seal had gone from around the bottom of this second hand tank I got last weekend (tank pic in sig!) No more second hand tanks for me.

Rushed to pets at home for a cheap clearseal, none the right size, raced to the next nearest town and found one, rushed home breaking all the speed limits, re-filled, fish back in, filters back on - poor fish looked extremely stressed, but Im hoping they get over their ordeal.

Glad it didnt happen overnight or 5 minutes earlier than it did, or the fish would never have made it, not a drop of water was left even in the gravel.
 
God Dam!

Hope Fish Are Ok !

And also hope there's no damage done in your kitchen ...I had a burst pipe in my ceiling ..so know exactly hwo you feel (well minus the stress of the fish ! )

Hope all goes ok !
 
Oh my god! Thank goodness you thought so quickly and clearly, I think I'd have paniced and freaked out somewhat lol!

Hope they all pull through and the kitchen is ok!
 
Well done minxy. Hope all your fish are okay if that was me i'd be running round in circles their for ten minutes (while fish are dying) thinking what shall i do! Hehe well i guess your a better thinker than me. Hope all your fish are okay.
 
Glad everything's OK...Leaks worry me, especially when I'm away!
 
Well fish seem ok, if somewhat spooked, Tex refused to come out of the coconut in the bowl, so just lifted coconut and him together :lol:

Dont know why it happened, did a water change this morning, must have caused some stress when I moved it slightly half full, dunno, these things happen, just glad I was here when it did, or fish would never have made it :(
 
bloody hell Minx.sorry to hear that.. why is it anything that can go wrong will go wrong while we`re having a wee.... we wait hours and hours and just at that moment :lol:

you sound like you have it all under control tho..geewiz, i would be having a stroke about now :lol:
 
It was just what I needed to happen this week as well Shelagh, as you know, its been a 'if I can happen, it will bloody happen' week. I think I need a holiday :lol:
 
A ticket to hawaii??? :lol: Im fine, actually this gave me a kick up the backside, remembered why I was keeping fish in the first place, fate maybe :)
 
rushed home breaking all the speed limits

I'll pretend I didnt hear that bit ;) lol

That is proberly any fishkeepers worst nightmare, I feel for you. Lucky you was in to save the fish though, could of been even worse! Hope the water havent done too much damage!Ive had a flooded bathroom from a burst pipe and that was nowhere near 30G and caused real flooring problems!
 
Wow, that's scary, 30 gallons...My first secondhand was a ten gallon I got for a 1.50 (US mind you!) with fake plants, a filter and spare parts, a heater and a crack. Don't be afraid of secondhand, 6 of my seven aquaria (not all set up, not yet anyway...) are secondhand!
 
your lucky it was only 30 gallons! I hope the fish recover, sounds like you did a good job to sort it out
 

Most reactions

Back
Top