Newbie!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Skittle

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello one and all!
I've been looking to join a fishie forum for a while now, and you guys seem the friendliest (and most knowledgable) of the bunch!
My name is Emma, I'm 19 and I'm in London.
I've been keeping fish (properly) for just over a year, and have been working in the industry now for around 8months. I have a 120litre planted community tank with a few rams, pearl Gouramis, Copella and other tetras and Ancistrus. I also have a nano tank of around 8litres, which I plan to keep some gobies or shrimp in, but for the moment i'm just admiring the greenery :)
I have a little experience in Marines, as I work with them but still lots more to learn! My real interest is in aquatic plants, and Dwarf cichlids.

Other than that I ride a motorbike, Yamaha FZS for anyone who's interested! :rolleyes:

Looking forward to nattering and learning a lot more!
Nice to meet you all!

Skittles

Welcome!!!

Sounds like you have lovely systems - - WE LOVE PICTURES!!! lol:lol:

Welcome!
We'd all love to see some pics of your tanks, they sound awesome :nod:

Pic are both uploaded, after much fiddling about on paint editing the pixel size!!! Hehe :lol:

Haha thank you! I'm settling in quite nicely, just need a cuppa now!
The fazer is lovely, getting a bit cold now though- need a car!!

Love your picture, do you keep gobies?

Skittles

Haha thank you! I'm settling in quite nicely, just need a cuppa now!
The fazer is lovely, getting a bit cold now though- need a car!!

Love your picture, do you keep gobies?

Skittles

Nah, thermal gloves, and wear a hoodie under your jacket. Worked for me. (except for the major manufacturing fault in my old bike meant it had a breather pipe for the petrol tank... yup. so whenever it rained, or snowed, or got a little bit moist, it wouldn't start).

Yeah i keep "bumblebee goby's".. can't guarantee they are all bumblebee's though, think half of them are golden banded goby's.

But, tomato tomato.. that doesn't really work online does it. ****.

Also what part of London. I used to reside in Wandsworth. (the dodgy end, near the park)

Haha i have heated grips, but i still end up with blue finger tips =) I warm 'em up in the tanks once i get to work!

I get the tomato tomato, thousands wouldn't though! Hehe Do you keep them in brackish water?

I'm from west london, suburby bit- or i like to think so!

Haha i have heated grips, but i still end up with blue finger tips =) I warm 'em up in the tanks once i get to work!

I get the tomato tomato, thousands wouldn't though! Hehe Do you keep them in brackish water?

I'm from west london, suburby bit- or i like to think so!

Yeah they're in a very low salinity water at the moment. And they're being gradually weaned off, basically because, well, i ran out of salt, and apparently they can be weaned off it anyway, so.. Why waste money?

Yeah they're in a very low salinity water at the moment. And they're being gradually weaned off, basically because, well, i ran out of salt, and apparently they can be weaned off it anyway, so.. Why waste money?

Ingenious!

So are you going to keep them in tap water then?

I've got my nano tank filled with RO but i don't know if it'll be too soft for them, or if they might try a suicide mission as it's open top? Hmm....

Ingenious!

I've got my nano tank filled with RO but i don't know if it'll be too soft for them, or if they might try a suicide mission as it's open top? Hmm....

Yeah mine have always been kept in dechlorinated tap water.
I think they may be okay with the RO water, but some research would definately be needed first. And, i've never had a 'bee even swim close to the top of my tank, so i'd be surprised if one tried a suicide mission, could always lower the water a cm or two if they did try.

Extremely hard to get them to start taking frozen foods though. I unfortunately lost one down to what I presumed was starvation, just couldn't get him to eat. Though to be fair he was the "runt of the litter" anyway. Whereas the others will now happily take frozen bloodworm or brine shrimp.

I adore them though, even though they always look grumpy they are terribly cute, especially when they yawn.

Ingenious!

Yeah mine have always been kept in dechlorinated tap water.
I think they may be okay with the RO water, but some research would definately be needed first. And, i've never had a 'bee even swim close to the top of my tank, so i'd be surprised if one tried a suicide mission, could always lower the water a cm or two if they did try.

Extremely hard to get them to start taking frozen foods though. I unfortunately lost one down to what I presumed was starvation, just couldn't get him to eat. Though to be fair he was the "runt of the litter" anyway. Whereas the others will now happily take frozen bloodworm or brine shrimp.

I adore them though, even though they always look grumpy they are terribly cute, especially when they yawn.

They yawn???? :wub: I definately have got to get some!
I might actually just use DC tapwater as you suggested, saves me lugging barrels home!
Luckily i can keep them at work on live foods until they put on some weight and then wean them on to frozens.
They're fairly easy to breed i've heard?

To breed you want a species only tank, as they like to be treated rough for them to induce breeding..

Basically, you need to add a load of cold water straight from the tap, untreated.. As the chlorine and coldness aparrently makes them think it's monsoon season (their usual breeding season)

So I havent risked this in my community tank.. Chlorine may be okay with goby's, but i think my catfish would complain.

To breed you want a species only tank, as they like to be treated rough for them to induce breeding..

Basically, you need to add a load of cold water straight from the tap, untreated.. As the chlorine and coldness aparrently makes them think it's monsoon season (their usual breeding season)

So I havent risked this in my community tank.. Chlorine may be okay with goby's, but i think my catfish would complain.

I think they would definately have something so say about it!
I'm thinking of just keeping either gobies or a few shrimp in the tank so i can pretty much tailor it to either or's needs which shouldn't be too bad. Shrimps are groovy but they're not exactly the most exciting thing in a tank!

Well I don't know how many you could keep in an 8 litre tank, maybe 4 goby's?? But i'm not an expert on stocking levels.

And some shrimp would probably be fine with them.

Right i'll reply in the morning, gonna go get some sleep, night night.

Most reactions

trending

Back