amio

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning on setting up an mbuna tank. Read thecichlidaddict's pinned thread already. I'm just gonna ask, what species would be compatible with each other? I'm talking about a 55-gallon tank, planted, with many rocks. I would really prefer to stock it with the smaller cichlids. I don't have any experience whatsoever with cichlids and would be greatful for any help. :D

John

Hi, I'm planning on setting up an mbuna tank. Read thecichlidaddict's pinned thread already. I'm just gonna ask, what species would be compatible with each other? I'm talking about a 55-gallon tank, planted, with many rocks. I would really prefer to stock it with the smaller cichlids. I don't have any experience whatsoever with cichlids and would be greatful for any help. :D

John

I have the same problem as you.... lol :/
Which cichlids go together and that are not to expensive or to rare to find?

That question is a little too open i'm afraid, there are hundreds of different Mbuna species, all with different compatibility issues.

Your best bet is to research some species you like and post your preferences here for some good advice on compatibility etc.

yeah, stick mbuna into google image search and find some you like, then take it from there researching them, get yourself a list of 10-15 or so that you like and post it, then people can help

I hear (or I read, in this case) yellow labs (Labidochromis Caeruleus) are relatively peaceful mbunas. I'm thinking of getting three or four really young ones, around just an inch each. Really, really young and so cute. What would be good tankmates for these guys?

John

as ferris said there are hundreds of types just make sure you stick to mbuna and before you buy a fish make sure you research it. go to http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=2 and have a search on there as you will see the possiblities are endless you need to see what you can get hold of then work out which of them go best with what. One bit of advise is to steer clear of alot of the melanochromis species the majority of them are highly aggressive.

as ferris said there are hundreds of types just make sure you stick to mbuna and before you buy a fish make sure you research it. go to http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=2 and have a search on there as you will see the possiblities are endless you need to see what you can get hold of then work out which of them go best with what. One bit of advise is to steer clear of alot of the melanochromis species the majority of them are highly aggressive.

Tell me about it. My parents came home one day and stuffed three auratus into my tetra community tank. The little bast@rds wiped out one third of the community. Then one of them killed the other two. Heh. Found out a month later what the fish exactly was.

Anyways, one question, what's that albino cichlid on your avatar? I saw one of those earlier and couldn't remember the name. Thanks for the link, by the way.

John

Aha, saw it in your profile. Pseudotropheus Socolofi. Would this fish be a nice tankmate for yellow labs?

Yeah they get on fine with my labs there is also a blue pseudotropheus socolofi aswell as the albino.

Good yellow lab tankmates are:

Pseudotropheus Acei
Iodotropheus Sperengerae
Pseudotropheus Saulosi

Other possibilities with a little more risk involved are:

Cynotilapia Afra
Pseudotropheus Socolofi
Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos

You can also mix Aulonocara with labs and there are many stunning species, well worth checking out. Also commonly referred to as Peacocks.

Good yellow lab tankmates are:

Pseudotropheus Acei
Iodotropheus Sperengerae
Pseudotropheus Saulosi

Other possibilities with a little more risk involved are:

Cynotilapia Afra
Pseudotropheus Socolofi
Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos

You can also mix Aulonocara with labs and there are many stunning species, well worth checking out. Also commonly referred to as Peacocks.

Yep, most of the fish you mentioned are on my list. There are also a lot of peacocks in the lfs, mostly stuartgranti. Right now I'm thinking Labidochromis Caeruleus, Pseudotropheus Socolofi, Saulosi and Iodotropheus Sprengerae. What do you guys think? :hey:

Also see whats available at your local fish stores unless you want to order online.

Yep. Saw some yellow labs, an albino socolofi and several peacocks earlier at the lfs. I never order online. :)

Thanks for the suggestions! :D

John

unless anyone says different i wouldnt mix peacocks with the mbuna you just mentioned also peacocks need to be in a bigger tank than 55g as they can get to 7-9" but i could be wrong.

Nah, I won't be getting peacocks, just Labidochromis Caeruleus, Pseudotropheus Socolofi, Saulosi and Iodotropheus Sprengerae, is that okay? :hey:

Sounds good. I'd reccommend the Albino Socolofi in that mix for a nice colour contrast, just a thought.

Peacocks are fine with labs only in a 55gal but not good with Socolofi and some of the slightly more aggressive species.

Most reactions

Back