Newbie to tank lighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Syphon

Reaction score
Hi guys/gals,

I have recently sorted our tank out from scratch and have put a lot of plants in. I am concerned about the lighting though as some of the plants are doing well and some aren't. The tank has been planted for a month (see pic below)

tank_lg.jpg

The tank details are as follows:

Fluval DUO 800
112 litres 24.5 gallon
Width 80cm
Depth 35 cm
Height 40 cm

It currently has the original lighting (about a year old) (24" tubes)
One Sun-Glo
One Aqua-glo

I know it is now due for replacing, but from reading some threads on here I am concerned that replacing these bulbs with the same model will not be enough.

Forgive my noobness with the different lighting levels and wattage etc. :*)

What would you recommend as the best bulbs for me to get, and do I need to wire additional tubes in?

Any links to UK websites that sell the bulbs you recommend would be much arreciated. :)

I'm also using a Fluval Plant feeding system.

Lighting now from 12 midday to 12 midnight.

Many thanks,

Very nice tank, but if you wanted suggestions, that I will give...

Sun glo has no photosynthetic stimulation (does nothing for plants), aquaglo's temperature is too high and intensity too low (again, not much for plants). The plant you have in the far left corner of the tank will not grow since it's a half aquatic half surface plant, meaning it's roots like to be submerged in water but the leaves dont. Since you have 2 24" bulb inputs that will give you max 1.6 wpg, which means you'll only be able to stick to mainly low light plants, unless you can figure out a way to wire more bulbs. Also, the time at which you turn on your lights will have an effect on plants probably, it's best to turn them on as soon as light, if any, enters the room. Morning-evening would be best. Regarding bulb recommendation, I would say 2 life glos, or life glo and power glo. Or if you have in your area, Coralife trichromatics would be definately the best. HTH!

konrad05 said:
Very nice tank, but if you wanted suggestions, that I will give...

Sun glo has no photosynthetic stimulation (does nothing for plants), aquaglo's temperature is too high and intensity too low (again, not much for plants). The plant you have in the far left corner of the tank will not grow since it's a half aquatic half surface plant, meaning it's roots like to be submerged in water but the leaves dont. Since you have 2 24" bulb inputs that will give you max 1.6 wpg, which means you'll only be able to stick to mainly low light plants, unless you can figure out a way to wire more bulbs. Also, the time at which you turn on your lights will have an effect on plants probably, it's best to turn them on as soon as light, if any, enters the room. Morning-evening would be best. Regarding bulb recommendation, I would say 2 life glos, or life glo and power glo. Or if you have in your area, Coralife trichromatics would be definately the best. HTH!
Thanks. :)

I'm not sure which plants I have got as I got a "lucky dip" from Javaplants in the uk. Should I take the one on the far left out then? The one to its right is similar but has grown quite a lot.

The browny/red ones at the front used to be a lot bushier but over the last few weeks I have found whole stems floating on the surface. :(

RE: I have had a quick search and can't find anywhere that sells Coralife trichromatics in the UK. I'll go for two Life glo's initially. If I can figure out a way to get one or two more bulbs on would you recommend two power glo's then?

I know it might be difficult to tell but from the plants you can make out - are any not going to be happy with only two bulbs?

RE: lighting times - there is no direct sunlight on the tank and it is pretty dark until the lights come on. I'll stick with 12 to 12 and then I have more time in the evening to appreciate them.

Your help is much appreciated. And your tank is awesome btw! :eek:

Cheers

Well, if you can't find trichromatics, I would use at maximum one power glo. The low wavelength penetrates to the bottom of the tank best and is essentially good for "carrying" the light down. Lifeglos is what you're plants will make best use out of :nod: The plants you have should be able to deal with 2 bulbs, only concern would be the grassy bunched plants at the front. Others have pretty big leaves so they "should" be ok with low-medium lighting.

Only downside to lifeglos is the price, but if you want a nicely planted tank, you have to splurge like the rest of us :)

The best way, but least practical is to build a spectroscope, it's what I did, it will show you exactly what frequency of light your bulbs are emitting.

HTH, again.

konrad05 said:
Well, if you can't find trichromatics, I would use at maximum one power glo. The low wavelength penetrates to the bottom of the tank best and is essentially good for "carrying" the light down. Lifeglos is what you're plants will make best use out of :nod: The plants you have should be able to deal with 2 bulbs, only concern would be the grassy bunched plants at the front. Others have pretty big leaves so they "should" be ok with low-medium lighting.

Only downside to lifeglos is the price, but if you want a nicely planted tank, you have to splurge like the rest of us :)

The best way, but least practical is to build a spectroscope, it's what I did, it will show you exactly what frequency of light your bulbs are emitting.

HTH, again.
That's great. Thanks for your help. I will ring my LFS at lunchtime to see if they stock the lifeglos. Once they have been done I will investigate wiring another light in and get a Powerglo. B)

Those front plants seem quite happy at the moment. Probably because the existing Aquaglo is at the front and the sunglo towards the rear.

No worries about price. I just want to keep my pride and joy looking nice and stop that blasted algie coming back.

Thanks again,

Scott

PS> Should I leave that left corner plant in or replace it with something else?

I would replace since it's not going to grow, and it will most likely just collect algae :unsure:

I took mine out, and planted it in my garden outside and it actually grew! Aquatic plant my a**.

konrad05 said:
I would replace since it's not going to grow, and it will most likely just collect algae :unsure:

I took mine out, and planted it in my garden outside and it actually grew! Aquatic plant my a**.
LOL :lol:

Ok thanks - any suggestions what would look nice in the corner?

Cheers,

Scott

It is the plant with the green leaves and light edges we are talking about. It is a Dracæna species. A bog plant. Yes, I would take it out. Eventually it will rot fully submerged.

A well kept ludwigia or hygrophilia would look nice, or maybe another sword? Also, you can give root tabs a try with your present amazon sword, I'm pretty confident it'll spring into growth :)

i have the same hood as u on a duo 800 deep, i have added 2 extra lights for £20 then the price of the tubes on top it was very easy. just used tube clips and screwed them in to the hood. then got two ballasts and fitted the tubes

Cheers guys. :)

I went to the LFS after work today and picked up a couple of life glo bulbs. They have brightened up the tank no end! :)

tank_lg.jpg

Also took out the bog plants and picked up some new ones at the shop as well. Grass types (don't ask me what they are!) :*)

Also took some more piccies of some of my fishies in the process. :)

gourami_lg.jpg

red_tailed_shark_lg.jpg

Mike - I presume all this stuff is available at the LFS? (mine is quite good). Don't suppose you have any pics of the fixings?

Cheers,

Scott

konrad05 said:
-_-

The tank shot is the same as before...
No it's not. ;) I replaced the image on my webspace with the new one. forgot it would change the image in the 1st post - doh!

Attached is the before shot. :)

Cheers,

Scott

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 73

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back