Newbie to fish & forums

That's tough to say... steer clear of "high tech", "high light" and you should be ok. There's lots of articles about 'beginner aquatic plants'... plenty of options.

As far as sellers go... in the US, I can steer you to,some reliable private vendors. In the U.K., I'd say stick with Tropica.
That's an easy name to remember. Your a fountain of knowledge. thanks ever so much. I'm always keen to learn. Better get on and get some sand for my cory's. i'm quite excited about the idea of black sand. That would look awesome.

That is actually very nice looking. My little peppered corys would just pop against that substrate. Is it sad that sand gets me excited? I mean its not even at the park.
Wow. That looks awesome. The black of my tank is black. That's settled. Black sand it is. I didn't even know you get black aquarium sand.

Wow. That looks awesome. The back of my tank is black. That's settled. Black sand it is. I didn't even know you get black aquarium sand.
Me too, going to switch up the substrate in the second tank to ensure my corys have a better habitat.

It's far more popular than it once was... but like I said, I took years to track down an affordable option that would work for cories. I started with play sand... which they love by the way... but wouldn't do that again. It was too light in color and took way too long to rinse... I burned out two filter motors because of it getting sucked up into the filter. (My BN pleco likes to rearrange my sand at night...and kicked up a bunch of it)

My new filter is a canister, and this ceramaquartz never clouds up like the play sand. Small enough and soft enough for the cories, but heavy enough to sink well. And if you don't like 'black' they offer about a dozen other colors, I think.

Me too, going to switch up the substrate in the second tank to ensure my corys have a better habitat.
I think we have both learned quite a bit here tonight. This is what I came here for. People know there stuff here. I learned that my Platy isn't what I thought he was (deflated) :blush:

That's an easy name to remember. Your a fountain of knowledge. thanks ever so much. I'm always keen to learn. Better get on and get some sand for my cory's. i'm quite excited about the idea of black sand. That would look awesome.

Glad to help out. That's what this place is supposed to be all about.

It's far more popular than it once was... but like I said, I took years to track down an affordable option that would work for cories. I started with play sand... which they love by the way... but wouldn't do that again. It was too light in color and took way too long to rinse... I burned out two filter motors because of it getting sucked up into the filter. (My BN pleco likes to rearrange my sand at night...and kicked up a bunch of it)

My new filter is a canister, and this ceramaquartz never clouds up like the play sand. Small enough and soft enough for the cories, but heavy enough to sink well. And if you don't like 'black' they offer about a dozen other colors, I think.
Can I use this substrate with a hang on back filter? I don't have a canister type ????

I think we have both learned quite a bit here tonight. This is what I came here for. People know there stuff here. I learned that my Platy isn't what I thought he was (deflated) :blush:

Most platys are all the same species...just different color morphs which go by all kinds of names. And they will interbreed all the time (and can even interbreed with swordtails).

It's far more popular than it once was... but like I said, I took years to track down an affordable option that would work for cories. I started with play sand... which they love by the way... but wouldn't do that again. It was too light in color and took way to long to rinse... I burned out two filter motors because of it getting sucked up into the filter. (My BN pleco likes to rearrange my sand at night...and kicked up a bunch of it)

I definitely want the black. I have a built in system at the back of my tank. The water has to go through 2 compartments before it reaches the pump. The filter system consists of sponge levels at the bottom, then ceramics and then a activated bag of carbon. That should be fine right?

Can I use this substrate with a hang on back filter? I don't have a canister type ????
Yes, you can. I had my HOB with this sand for two years with no trouble.

I definitely want the black. I have a built in system at the back of my tank. The water has to go through 2 compartments before it reaches the pump. The filter system consists of sponge levels at the bottom, then ceramics and then a activated bag of carbon. That should be fine right?
Yup.

The carbon isn't necessary all the time either, but can be saved to remove things like medicines from the tank after treatment. Carbon also removes tannins from wood... but carbon only lasts for about 3 months or so before it's no longer doing anything. I keep carbon on hand, in case I need it, but never keep it in the filter full time. It's too expensive to replace carbon constantly. And the sponges get only a good squeeze every so often, never to be replaced until it is falling apart.

Most platys are all the same species...just different color morphs which go by all kinds of names. And they will interbreed all the time (and can even interbreed with swordtails).
So is my guy a Platy? I won't feel so deflated if I have half of it right ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back