Newbie question - can I purchase aquarium plants and store them?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

laurosaur

Reaction score
As the title says - can I purchase aquarium plants and store them in a container of water for a couple of weeks before planting?

Iā€™m currently in the middle of a DSM so Iā€™m not ready to plant epiphytes yet, but a supplier Iā€™ve been watching has just restocked some plants I want and Iā€™m afraid they might sell out.

The plants I was planning on purchasing are bucephalandra, anubias, and ludwigias.

Thanks. :)

As long as the containers are clean (meaning scrubbed clean with hot water and not soap or any other chemical) and they are heated, then yes.

They must be heated, or the plants will die because they are tropical plants, and have no heat. A clean 5g bucket with a heater suitable for 5 gallons should do the trick.

happy planting!

I'm not sure if you will need a heater in California but if the water temperature drops below 18C it will need heating.

You could order the plants and pay for them but ask the supplier to hold them for a couple of weeks. Otherwise stick the plants in a bucket of water and give them plenty of light and a bit of aquarium plant fertiliser.

Anubias is not a true aquatic plant and does best growing in a pot on the window sill.

I'm not sure if you will need a heater in California but if the water temperature drops below 18C it will need heating.

You could order the plants and pay for them but ask the supplier to hold them for a couple of weeks. Otherwise stick the plants in a bucket of water and give them plenty of light and a bit of aquarium plant fertiliser.

Anubias is not a true aquatic plant and does best growing in a pot on the window sill.
Thanks for your response! I've emailed them to see if they'd be willing to hold the shipment if I place an order. Fingers crossed.

Since anubias and bucephalandra are grown on decor, you could do that while they are in the bucket if the supplier won't hold them back.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back