Newbie looking for canister filter recommendations

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hazyvonne

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to this hobby. I have a 55g, planted tank (see picture) that's about 4 months old. When I first got started all the info out there was rather overwhelming so I decided to go with a HOB filter to make things easy. I currently have a Penn Plax Cascade 300 running. As far as I can tell, it does what it's supposed to do, my water is clear and my parameters are fine. But while the filter was whisper quiet in the beginning it has increased in noise level ever since. Also, the flow is not quite what it used to be - I have to turn it up all the way to get the same flow I used to get on half that. I am now taking this thing apart and cleaning it every few days which seems to quiet it for a little while before it gets worse again. To be honest, I'm tired of it. I have attached a pre-filter sponge because I thought that might help, but it did not. So I was thinking about getting a new filter - but if I'm gonna get a new filter I thought I might as well upgrade to a canister filter.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good canister filter? Something quiet? Also, do I need a spray bar? Is a UV filter necessary?

Thank you!

Oh, in case that's important: Currently, I have 6 Celestial Pearl Danios and about 10 fry in there, along with 6 assassin snails and lord knows how many bladder snails who hitchhiked their way into the tank. In my quarantine tank, I have 6 Red Neon Rainbowfish, 6 Spotted Blue Eye Rainbowfish, 4 clown killifish, 3 amano shrimp and 3 blue dream shrimp - they'll join the CPDs in the main tank in a few weeks. So basically I'm planning on having a big nano fish tank :)

Attachments

• fulltank.jpeg
    fulltank.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 59
An ultraviolet (UV) steriliser is not necessary and unless you get a big UV filter, it won't make any difference to things in the water. Don't waste your money on a UV unit.

-----------------
Which part of your filter is noisy?

Most HOB filters make noise from the lid or a loose impellor/ impellor shaft. They also make noise from the water splashing back into the tank.

If you increase the water level in the aquarium, there will be less noise from water splashing back into the tank. A coverglass can also help reduce noise.

A loose fitting lid can have a small weight put on it to help stop it vibrating and making noise.

This is a great little filter that won't break the bank. Easy maintenance and parts and media are easily available.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NDYVXOC/?tag=ff0d01-20
I've had several models of filters similar to that one and they all create crazy noise and break easily from cheap, bad quality components or something

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good canister filter? Something quiet? Also, do I need a spray bar? Is a UV filter necessary?
If you can't fix your current filter and want to try a canister, I would try a fluval 307 or 407 (I use those and they are as quiet and reliable as you can get in my opinion)
A spray bar can help with more customized or evenly distributed flow in a tank, and if you go with a fluval canister, if you need one, I recommend a Flow Tamer spray bar that you can buy from amazon (I admit it is on the expensive side, but you can build your own spray bar for about half the price if you have the tools)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If your filter is clean and the impeller is in good condition, my experience has been that rattling and/or varying impeller speed is indeed a precursor to motor failure. In addition to what Colin said, and you may have already checked this, it's worth inspecting the impeller for any irregularities - if the plastic and/or magnet is has any pitting, chips, warped plastic, or other damage, your noise and flow might be fixed by just replacing the one part.

If you can't fix your current filter and want to try a canister, I would try a fluval 307 or 407 (I use those and they are as quiet and reliable as you can get in my opinion)
I have never had those bigger ones but have been very happy with the 200 series. I found it's easy to get replacement parts for those as well.

I have attached a pre-filter sponge because I thought that might help, but it did not.
If you're talking about a sponge that goes over the intake tube, those can slow flow a lot compared to letting debris build up inside. Intake pre-filters can concentrate the debris in a smaller area, ultimately restricting flow more than when the same gunk is spread over a larger filter pad.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back