Newbie betta questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

You can sometimes use sponge, or even some driftwood or plants, to baffle the output so it isn't blowing across the tank so hard.
Iā€™ve experimented with cutting some washing up sponge and inserting it to the output funnel and it did stop the particles swirling around a little bit.
I will see how the flow is once plants are in.

I've got a 20L/5g open top tank lying around and might have a perfect place for a betta tank but I have a few questions, as I'm new to this species.

Nothing is certain at this point in time, I'm just gauging if it would be suitable.
The betta would be the only fish in the tank if I do go ahead.

Here goes my questions:
1) Is 20L/5g tank too small for single betta? Assuming there is no other fish in the tank
2) What heater to get in a 5G open top tank? My concern is that the water will evaporate. Do I need a cover?
3) What filter to get? I'm thinking of Eheim in-tank filters (something like pickup 45),something with gentle flow
4) Is it ok having silk plants in the tank? Otherwise, what plants are best for bettas?
5) For subtrate I plan to just use gravel. I have some in the garden which I will wash and clean. Is this ok or what would be the ideal substrate?
6) Assuming that I keep on top of water parameters, weekly water changes etc is there anything that I should be aware of concerning having a betta? Are they especially susceptible to anything?
Thay are susceptible to being ADORABLE!

Still lots to do and will take it slowly :)

I know fake background is matter of taste but Iā€™ve got black background in my 38g and thought would try something new. Besides Iā€™ve got this for free lol.

View attachment 117945
pretty sweet tank to get for free!
That glass is thick!
I couldn't tell for sure, but I have used these several times for my betta tanks. If it doesn't fit secure you can tighten with zip ties as long as you tuck the end away so your fish can't hurt himself. Also, obviously you will want to make sure it doesn't baffle TOO much. It should be all the way under the water, as well.
$3 - $4 .
shopping.jpeg

pretty sweet tank to get for free!
That glass is thick!
I couldn't tell for sure, but I have used these several times for my betta tanks. If it doesn't fit secure you can tighten with zip ties as long as you tuck the end away so your fish can't hurt himself. Also, obviously you will want to make sure it doesn't baffle TOO much. It should be all the way under the water, as well.
$3 - $4 .
View attachment 118209
Buying.

The good thing is, if you do decide you want another betta you will have a nice seeded filter cartridge ready to go!

Sorry if Iā€™m being thick, but not too sure about your prefilter recommendation?

Iā€™ve cut some household sponge and stuffed it into the output of current filter. It has like a duckbill flow deflector. This does slow down the flow rate a little.

Iā€™ve seen some sponge filters in Amazon but looks like they need air pump to run them. Wonā€™t the bubbles cause flow too?

Example :https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075BJJXDD/?tag=

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry if Iā€™m being thick, but not too sure about your prefilter recommendation?

Iā€™ve cut some household sponge and stuffed it into the output of current filter. It has like a duckbill flow deflector. This does slow down the flow rate a little.

Iā€™ve seen some sponge filters in Amazon but looks like they need air pump to run them. Wonā€™t the bubbles cause flow too?

Example :https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075BJJXDD/?tag=
Well, I did touch on two topics, first, to get it out of the way, the filter cartridge or media you are using or will be using when you get your betta in this tank will be useful if you decide you want another. Or need another.

Since you will have had a filter running for your first tank it will have become seeded with beneficial bacteria that you can use to set up another tank . Really not related to your question, though.

Now to address your concern...
Specifically...This Fluval product is a pre-filter for one of their models (the Edge). I use it on the out-flow portion of the filter that flows out into the tank . So, this would be the "duck bill" part you are describing .It fits over that part like a sleeve. They are usually a good fit, but I didn't get a clear look at your filter. Can you post a close-up or tell the model?

(And yes, there are sponge filters with airline tube and electric air pump but that's a different thing, and way too bubbly for betta).

I hope this makes sense...
If you are still unclear I will post an image for you tomorrow ā˜†

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, I did touch on two topics, first, to get it out of the way, the filter cartridge or media you are using or will be using when you get your betta in this tank will be useful if you decide you want another. Or need another.

Since you will have had a filter running for your first tank it will have become seeded with beneficial bacteria that you can use to set up another tank . Really not related to your question, though.

Now to address your concern...
Specifically...This Fluval product is a pre-filter for one of their models (the Edge). I use it on the out-flow portion of the filter that flows out into the tank . So, this would be the "duck bill" part you are describing .It fits over that part like a sleeve. They are usually a good fit, but I didn't get a clear look at your filter. Can you post a close-up or tell the model?

(And yes, there are sponge filters with airline tube and electric air pump but that's a different thing, and way too bubbly for betta).

I hope this makes sense...
If you are still unclear I will post an image for you tomorrow ā˜†
[/QUOTE
Yes, itā€™s clearer now :)
Pretty busy with work this week but Iā€™ll post current filter setup when I have a chance.

The filter is tiny (about 6ā€ tall) but flow is quite strong. It has deflector but not doing much. Might see now the tank fares with plant before decide if suitable for betta.

NICREW light is awesome with 24/7 cycle and weather effects. I was under impression itā€™s possible to adjust length of cycle but looks like Iā€™m mistaken. Light stays of 12 midnight till 6. Itā€™s pretty bright though.

Please excuse wires, still work in progress

Pretty happy with the clips Iā€™ve bought though. Quite a lot of overhang on them.Just need the Perspex to arrive to complete the cover.

View attachment 118023View attachment 118030
I looked at the link for your filter, unfortunately the Fluval product won't fit on that one. You may end up having to get a different one...but if you are addicted you will find a use for it! ;)
I guess air-punp driven sponge filter would work, so disregard my other comment about them, because it's easier to deflect bubbles or adjust turbulance on those...

I looked at the link for your filter, unfortunately the Fluval product won't fit on that one. You may end up having to get a different one...but if you are addicted you will find a use for it! ;)
I guess air-punp driven sponge filter would work, so disregard my other comment about them, because it's easier to deflect bubbles or adjust turbulance on those...
Iā€™m in no rush so taking it slowly. I would prefer cartridge type filter as it also contains bio media.
Iā€™ve stuff some sponge on the outlet and it seemed to slow the flow down a little.
I think for tank this size itā€™s hard to find filter with low flow.
Iā€™ve seen those air pump driven sponge filters and they do output lots of bubbles, which I donā€™t think the betta likes.

The only way to really tell how much flow is too much, is to get the betta and see how he reacts. If you notice him struggling to swim, then you have to put something in to stop the flow (like sponge).
You said that you're using just some regular sponge in the filter, right? Maybe you could try getting an aquarium sponge instead. There are different kinds, so you could get a very fine sponge to stop the strong flow in your filter.
(Also, just wanted to let you know that the betta in the picture is called a veiltail :))

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back