New Videos Of My Hybrids (Working Version)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VaegaVic

Fish Addict
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNqWLe1d0jU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci_OpW5Cvc8

Both of those are taken in HD so be sure to crank it up.

They are Guppy/Endler Hybrids, they seem to be so far, double the size of Endlers with the colours mixed from both. They have the fantails of guppies but actually have the muscle strength to hold them up rather than the useless versions you'll see in the shops.
Interestingly, different generations seem to differ, almost in taking turns in, resembling different parents, occasionally they will be Endler shaped, and the next generation will be guppy shaped, all from the same pairing.

Anyway, what do we think?

Wow, that is HD.

Now that you mention the tail position I can only think about the ones I see in LFS that swim almost at a 45 degree angle with their tail sagging down.

Wow, that is HD.

Now that you mention the tail position I can only think about the ones I see in LFS that swim almost at a 45 degree angle with their tail sagging down.

Yea exactly, it's a problem I find with most fantail fancy guppies. So badly inbred to get the colours that in later life they just can't support their own weight.
I bred these hybrids to get around that, and my word have they.

Nice video and the fish look good too.

Endlers you see in shops are already guppy crosses, never seen true endlers in any shop.
So what you doing is just out crossing, this would also give you both long finned gene's amnd the normal short finned gene.
As natural guppies are also short finned fish and it took over 60 years of breeding to develop the long fined fish we see today.

Also with good selective breeing and rearing guppies at slightly lower temps say around 70f you will get much stronger fish, the reason many are so weak is not in breeding but the rate their grown at and their also highly stressed when shipped around the world.

Thank you.

Endlers you see in shops are already guppy crosses, never seen true endlers in any shop.
So what you doing is just out crossing, this would also give you both long finned gene's amnd the normal short finned gene.
As natural guppies are also short finned fish and it took over 60 years of breeding to develop the long fined fish we see today.

The endlers I have are true(ish) endlers, the breeder I obtained them from has had generations of endlers going back 10 years at least, apparently they were one of the first stock into the UK. I don't entirely believe her, but from what I can see, they are pretty pure. Although I am aware that majority of Endlers these days are already hybrids. Even Professor John A. Endler agrees. However, either way, mine are prettier at least.

Also with good selective breeing and rearing guppies at slightly lower temps say around 70f you will get much stronger fish, the reason many are so weak is not in breeding but the rate their grown at and their also highly stressed when shipped around the world.

I'm assuming, slower rate of growth = better fish, and one would achieve this at lower temperatures?

Thank you.

The endlers I have are true(ish) endlers, the breeder I obtained them from has had generations of endlers going back 10 years at least, apparently they were one of the first stock into the UK. I don't entirely believe her, but from what I can see, they are pretty pure. Although I am aware that majority of Endlers these days are already hybrids. Even Professor John A. Endler agrees. However, either way, mine are prettier at least.

I'm assuming, slower rate of growth = better fish, and one would achieve this at lower temperatures?

I first had endlers in 1994 but sadily they were not as hardy as the guppy cross and lost them after 18 months or so.

Thats correct, the muscle grow much slower, thus giving stronger body to support a large tailed fish. This is very common tactic when breeding show fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back