New video on home mega aquarium I posted. 17,000 gallons.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

He's in New York,and that might mean skylights are not worth the bother for what looks like an estate,not just a house. Also,looking close..its not really even a reef tank. Only a few widely spaced Elkhorn type corals and the rest is just rock. Not even sure if those are real corals.
At around the 1:30 mark he shows a Butterfly fish he said he paid $30,000 for and another $25,000. $55,000 for two fish.
Or,he could be going for headlines and for fun to get people to believe all that.
nahhhh fish aint that expensive at least i dont think
that really huge and cool lookin dragon eel was only like 1000 at my lfs
he was so cute but i guess i am happy that he has moved to a hopefully good home

I wonder what the Public Aquariums make of this. I'm quite sure their tanks wouldn't cost that sort of money to run.
They would go broke if they paid that sort of money for fish, food or power. Most public aquariums culture live food and this saves money. Some will use natural seawater if they are close to the coast.

AQUA at Hillaries in Western Australia is right on the coast and just pumps seawater from the ocean into their tanks. They have areas out the back where they culture algae and other marine organisms for food.

They would go broke if they paid that sort of money for fish, food or power. Most public aquariums culture live food and this saves money. Some will use natural seawater if they are close to the coast.

AQUA at Hillaries in Western Australia is right on the coast and just pumps seawater from the ocean into their tanks. They have areas out the back where they culture algae and other marine organisms for food.
I got a chance to take a behind the scenes tour at our closest aquarium... They have semi-large tanks for quarantining and for raising live food. I also got a chance to feed the fish some shrimp but instead of a fish coming out a shark jumped... That made me jump a bit 😂

I see that Andrew Sandler has his own YouTube channel. In today's vid he says he's' fighting an outbreak of Ich. That would scare me to have to treat fish in 17,000 gallons. He says some he might trap and remove while the rest of the aquarium gets some meds.
Also just looking at that vid..they seem like real corals.

How did he get white spot in the tank when he supposedly quarantines all his new fish?

His best bet would be to remove all the fish to smaller tanks for treatment and after a few weeks, put them back in the main tank. Hopefully he doesn't have the super strain that can go dormant when no fish are in the tank.

Otherwise he should heat the tank to 30C but that will kill the corals.

I hope nobody's upset at my video posting. I just got this in and it fits this topic and I know you've seen me write that "Anything over 125 gallons should be acrylic".
"The problems with big aquariums"..

The original posted vid? We were all guessing at costs. Andrew the owner comes out at tells all. $10,000 month in electric bill, $10,000 a month in food...another 10 grand or more to pay for a staff and millions to build the aquarium.

If I could afford this, I'd have one at my place as well. But I would try to look for another way to keep the costs down. But anyhow, my wallet doesn't open up that far...
The aquarium in Dubai is enormously. I could spend the whole day just sitting there and watch it all...

The original posted vid? We were all guessing at costs. Andrew the owner comes out at tells all. $10,000 month in electric bill, $10,000 a month in food...another 10 grand or more to pay for a staff and millions to build the aquarium.

Th

Super cool but how much would it cost to just leave these fish in their own habitat and not pay someone 25k to grab them for you?
I would have more respect if dude bought up all the cramped ass "good luck" arowana stuck in shitty 40 gal tanks...basically he's attempting to recreate the ocean, and that is stupid.

Th

Super cool but how much would it cost to just leave these fish in their own habitat and not pay someone 25k to grab them for you?
I would have more respect if dude bought up all the cramped ass "good luck" arowana stuck in shitty 40 gal tanks...basically he's attempting to recreate the ocean, and that is stupid.
We try to keep this a family friendly forum, so would you be so kind as to replace the foul language with another word or just word your thoughts differently. I'm not trying to "micro-manage" I am just letting you know the situation. Thank you.

Please edit your post to change two of those words or a moderator will change them for you.

From the forum rules
2. We expect members to remain courteous towards others. It’s nice to show respect for others' opinions even if they do not match your own. You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually suggestive, threatening, angry, rude, hostile, mean-spirited, ridiculous, incessant, provoking, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise a violation of any law.

Most reactions

Back