Man loves his 17,000 gallon home marine aquarium.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
One thing about mega tank that keeps me thinking is..the mega power bill. I was looking- again- at the Staten Island 20,000 gallon reef..and there had to be dozens of lights over it all with heavy duty cords running to outlets everywhere. The pump was like 5 hp and more here and there to make a real flow. All that runs 24/7. The lights had to be 500 watts each..they were not the 175 watt halide I was using over my 50 gallon soft coral tank. My best set up by far....long ago.

You don’t need to. They set up a filter that will filter water enough to go without Wc. It’s just like a pond.
I need that filter... Lol... They prolly dont make em that small though

I need that filter... Lol... They prolly dont make em that small though
It is a circulating filter. It’s got to be the size of a room. Companies will make these, but mostly they are DIY. The owner probably needs some Lava Rock or natural filter ant in the tank itself as well. My guess is that they built a giant filter room in the basement, and pipes and conveyors carry the water to different filterants, and shoot it back up into the tank.

Oh,they change water. One vid of a mega tank showed the filter room stacked head high with bags of salt. He changes 1,000 gallons a month for that particular tank. 'German Reef Tanks' on youtube tends to stick with high end setups in homes that look like the MOMA of any big city.

One more thought that isnt cost. Its just that I dont think some who go all out realize how much energy it takes to reproduce a coral reef in basically a hot tub sized aquarium. It taught me how much the sun must be beaming down. I really wish I could remember the number but I did read once that a square meter of coral reef at the equator was getting some mega watts of energy to light and move water also I think they said. That number was far far more than my 175 watt Halide.

Don't know if those are real corals or not. You can look at his older vids and see the mega system or filtration at work. Your guess as good as mine as to cost. The backup electrical system is a very good idea. He's not losing all that to a winter storm.
Isn’t it overstocked?

No,the fish do seem in scale with that huge aquarium. Especially if its just fake corals.
I saw a post today on youtube of an aquarist who had power go out in winter in Germany. He lost half his corals in a 300-500 hundred gallon top of the line set up from the lack of power 6 hours one day then,8 hours the next. He said the back up generator was out of gas and he was not at home those two days.
Reef tanks are like BMW's...you can put a ton of money into them and then have disaster around the corner.

Good for them, pity we don't all have that sort of money. Most of us have just had to be content with our 250-liter tanks. Personally, I would want to employ someone to look after my tanks if I could afford a system that big.
Well if others are doing the work where is the fun of it hehehehheeh .

The guy should show how he does the maintenance

Its only 148”x48”x32”. I could easily take out my fireplace and put it in the living room. There is a person that is in the process of building his whole house around a 25,000 gallon concrete Shark tank. There used to be a guy back around 7 or 8 years ago who built his whole house on top of a 50,000 gallon tank as the basement. Also, I have a sliding glass door that opens 6 feet. The tank would in fact fit in, but most tanks are built on sight,
A shark tank ... ?? I would love a shark underneath my floor .... a glass floor where you can see the shark swimming around ,,

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back