Man loves his 17,000 gallon home marine aquarium.

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Don't know if those are real corals or not. You can look at his older vids and see the mega system or filtration at work. Your guess as good as mine as to cost. The backup electrical system is a very good idea. He's not losing all that to a winter storm.

I think I remember articles in PFK magazine several years apart. The first is a guy who made a reeftank in his basement about that size. The next is a story of closing it down due to the massive water, energy and marine salt bills. The story then went on to describe him starting up the tank again for coldwater natives complete with tips for doing stuff like that on a budget.

Even if you are comfortable..these kind of setups can eat you alive. I've run across a couple of sad stories about mega home reefs that the owner's had to give up on. One,was something crashed his system on a few thousand gallon reef..and he was the leader of an upscale reef club,and he said he just stopped the hobby. He wasn't going to spend five years or more again finding the variety of corals.
Another was a contractor who had a 20' long reef tank with the usual 6' tall protein skimmer,mega lights,chillers,heaters, pumps near to the horsepower range..and the electric bill he said just wasn't worth considering how slow his corals grew. I get that. You imagine them almost filling the tank if you give them time..and instead they are pretty much the same size a year later. So a 20' tank is a real drain on the bank account. He did keep the tank and put in a few Albino Gars. Only,they are so large it looks too crowded and cramped for them imo.

Last edited:
Can't view the video, so I don't know if they are fake or not.

Even if you are comfortable..these kind of setups can eat you alive.
You would have to have $100k in the bank, just to setup the initial tank and fish, let alone if that's real coral.

I know a ton of threads on a dif forum that have 50k tanks.
Good for them, pity we don't all have that sort of money. Most of us have just had to be content with our 250-liter tanks. Personally, I would want to employ someone to look after my tanks if I could afford a system that big.

Where do you put it and how do you look after it? 1k gallon just wouldn't fit into your normal house.
It would put in my living room. :p

Would take a lot of work to care for and would be super expensive to set up, not gonna lie.

This is definitely a dream tank hard to describe.... But ill try my best....

So you know the archway hallway type things... I'd need a big house but id have a semi-long archway aquarium with HUGE schools of rainbows and a few of those large monster plecos (like the blue eyed one thats black... Sorry I forgot the name lol) and maybe a few other super large schools of different fish... (I would LOVE to have one or two of those freshwater stingrays)

Please notice: I did not do research on most all of these fish as this is just a dream tank I'm imagining and I didnt take compatiblity into account... I was just dreaming...

Where do you put it and how do you look after it? 1k gallon just wouldn't fit into your normal house.
Its only 148”x48”x32”. I could easily take out my fireplace and put it in the living room. There is a person that is in the process of building his whole house around a 25,000 gallon concrete Shark tank. There used to be a guy back around 7 or 8 years ago who built his whole house on top of a 50,000 gallon tank as the basement. Also, I have a sliding glass door that opens 6 feet. The tank would in fact fit in, but most tanks are built on sight,

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back