NEW TO THE HOBBY STOCKING ADVICE

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Irishlad123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everybody. Im new to the hobby really i only have had one tropical fish tank before and did not relise you need to pay attention to your water quality and all fish have different needs so this time i want to do this properly.

I have bout a 200 litre tank and i want to make it a planted community tank.

I really like corydoras as ive bred them in the other tank in the past so i definetly want some in this. I like the look of angel fish, german blue rams and apistos but really i only have knowlege of keeping corys and livebeaers I would like activety in all sections of the tank as its in my sitting room and many will be looking at it.

Im still only cycling my tank but I want to plan before hand. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Ohh sorry thought i put it in i have a ph of 7.2 i havent tested my kh in a while but i think it was 5 or 6 dont remember fully. My tank is 31 inches long 21.5 high and 18 onches wide. I have a fine gravel substrate and a aqua one aquas 1050 gilter on it with a air pump

That's quite a good size so you have several options. But back to the water parameters, what is the GH (general hardness)? This is the most important parameter. The pH will tend to follow suite, and the KH will have some buffering capability at 5 or 6 dKH (assuming it is degrees, not ppm).

A couple comments on the fish mentioned in post #1, leaving aside the GH for the moment. Cories are fine, but you really need a smooth sand as the substrate. Blue (common) rams need warmer water, minimum being 80|F, so this will rule out many other tropical species, including the cories. The Bolivian Ram would suit things better. Angelfish need more space for a group--this is a shoaling species and requires at least five except for a bonded pair, but spawning angelfish create other issues.

Is this stupid but is their anyway of putting pea puffers in with angelfish or just in a community

I dont know my gh my test kit only does ph and i tested my kh and gh over a year ago so cant remember but ill get the water tested maybe this weekend if not next.

Is this stupid but is their anyway of putting pea puffers in with angelfish or just in a community

No on both, without question. Puffers would nip the fins of angelfish (and most other species). Puffers are for species-only tanks.

I dont know my gh my test kit only does ph and i tested my kh and gh over a year ago so cant remember but ill get the water tested maybe this weekend if not next.

You might be able to ascertain the GH from the online site of your municipal water authority. GH is not going to change much in an aquarium, unless it is being specifically targeted (another story), so knowing the GH of the tap water will suffice. Saves buying another test you may never use again.

Can you put apistos and gbr together or is it only one or the another

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back