New To The Hobby And Have Some Questions.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ciddire

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Greetings all!

I have no prior fish experience and was assured by the fish expert everything would be okay...however I decided to look on the internet (and stumbled on this forum) I think I might have made a horrible mistake. I wish I would of been informed about the much safer fishless cycle at the store!

3 days ago I went to my local PetCo and purchased the following items: 

1 x 29 Gallon Glass Fishtank
1 x 29 in 'Deluxe' hood
1 x stand
1 x Marineland Penguin 200b
1 x heater rated for up to 40 gallons 
1 x API Quickstart
1 x API Tap Water Conditioner
1 x Dwarf Gourami
1 x Pearl Gourami
1 x Red Gourami 
1 x Sword Plant
3 x various decor

The PetCo person assured me that the fish would be okay as long as I purchased the Quickstart and monitored the water.

I set up the tank, got the water to temperature and added the fish per the advice of the associate.

I later ran to a 24/hr department store because I realized (after reading this forum) that there's a number of things I'm still missing and purchased the following items:

1 x bubble stone
1 x quiet air pump rated for up to 40 Gallon
1 x Water testing kit (strips)
1 x Ammonia testing kit

I have been testing the water every 12 hrs and everything has been in the good or ideal range according to the test bottles.

However, yesterday the water started to get slightly clouded. I went up to PetCo with my pictures and water sample and was told this was normal for the start of the cycle. I would like your guys opinions and advice on making sure this process is as smooth and safe on the fish as possible. 

This morning I did a 25% water replacement adding the proper amounts of water treatment products (according to the packages) and made sure to get the temperature as close as possible to the water's temp. 

I took a reading a few minutes ago and it shows the following: 

PH: 7.2
Alkalinity: 40-80 (hard to tell, looks closer to 40)
Chlorine: 0
Hardness: 75-150 (closer to the 75, hard to tell)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0

How do I tell what my proper Alk & hardness levels should be for these fish?
Should I begin feeding them?
As per the guide on the forum a 10-15% water change is recommended daily until the cycle starts, does this advice still apply to my case?

The fish seem like their doing okay, 2 of them constantly hide when they see people (I have a little cave thingy that they seem to love) and one of them LOVES people, he will follow me around the room and will even swim up to my fingers when I'm cleaning the tank. My senior Doberman dog is obsessed with watching the fishtank and it seems the social fish loves to follow him too.

I really adore my new fish friends I want to do everything in my power to help them through this ordeal. 

I personally feel horrible after reading about the fish /fishless cycle. I'm super worried that I might harm my fishies but I'm more worried that they may not survive the journey back to the PetCo.(Or even if I should bring them back?)

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Shawn 

fishies.jpg

The next time you take a visit to PetCo please don't listen to what they say, you really have to do your own research before committing to this hobby. Their interest is to sell you fish and products like QuickStart which magically cycles your tank.  Unless you want to return those fish, you're going to have to go daily water changes in order to keep the ammonia levels at bay. It will take a lot longer for you to cycle as well.

You don't really need a bubble stone, so long as your filter is agitating the surface enough.

Your fish probably aren't feeling very comfortable because of the lack of hiding places, try and get a large plant like an amazon sword which is easy to grow and good for fish to hide in, or alternatively get a large piece of bogwood or make a rock formation with some sort of cave.

Is that red plant live? It looks like it. I assume you're low tech so red plants are a no-no. Here are a few to think about, which are easy to grow 

Java Fern, Anubias, Crypts, Amazon Sword, hygrophilia poylsperma/difformis, ambulia/cabomba, vals 

I would also suggest you get a liquid test kit instead of the strips. The strips aren't accurate at all. Also, I would get Seachem Prime water conditioner instead of the API if you continue with the fish-in cycle. It detoxifies ammonia, so if you add 1 drop per gallon per day and 2 drops per gallon with each water change, it will keep the ammonia levels from harming your fish. It's much, much safer for them that way.

Hi I was in exactly the same position as you , believed what I was told and all would be ok . Well unfortunately it wasn't all ok and as you did I found this wonderful helpful site. Listen to what you are advised and I am now 5 months down the line but still asking questions when I need to . Good luck with everything and keep the water changes going it really is best for the poor little fish :) 
Angie 

welcomeani.gif
to TFF! Hope you enjoy it here.

I'd really recommend returning them to the store and doing a fish-less cycle which I'm sure you've read about HERE
As above I'd get a liquid test kit as they're more accurate than the strips. If you do return them to the store you'll also want to pick up some ammonia which you can find at Ace Hardware.

I'm glad you found this forum and that you want to keep your fish safe! :)

508 said:
The next time you take a visit to PetCo please don't listen to what they say, you really have to do your own research before committing to this hobby. Their interest is to sell you fish and products like QuickStart which magically cycles your tank.  Unless you want to return those fish, you're going to have to go daily water changes in order to keep the ammonia levels at bay. It will take a lot longer for you to cycle as well.

You don't really need a bubble stone, so long as your filter is agitating the surface enough.

Your fish probably aren't feeling very comfortable because of the lack of hiding places, try and get a large plant like an amazon sword which is easy to grow and good for fish to hide in, or alternatively get a large piece of bogwood or make a rock formation with some sort of cave.

Is that red plant live? It looks like it. I assume you're low tech so red plants are a no-no. Here are a few to think about, which are easy to grow 

Java Fern, Anubias, Crypts, Amazon Sword, hygrophilia poylsperma/difformis, ambulia/cabomba, vals
As per your advice I purchased some of the above plants from an online fish vendor.

eduller said:
I would also suggest you get a liquid test kit instead of the strips. The strips aren't accurate at all. Also, I would get Seachem Prime water conditioner instead of the API if you continue with the fish-in cycle. It detoxifies ammonia, so if you add 1 drop per gallon per day and 2 drops per gallon with each water change, it will keep the ammonia levels from harming your fish. It's much, much safer for them that way.

I ordered the Seachem Prime & liquid test kits per your advice

Ninjouzata said:
:hi: to TFF! Hope you enjoy it here.

I'd really recommend returning them to the store and doing a fish-less cycle which I'm sure you've read about HERE
As above I'd get a liquid test kit as they're more accurate than the strips. If you do return them to the store you'll also want to pick up some ammonia which you can find at Ace Hardware.

I'm glad you found this forum and that you want to keep your fish safe! :)
I returned the fish per you advice. I purchased 'pure' ammonia from my local supermarket making sure it had no additives. Ace hardware didn't stock ammonia. I've started the process listed in your link.

That you all for your advice. I'm very please to be apart of your community and am looking forward to contributing when I am able to :)

Thank you all again,

Shawn

That is great to hear! While your cycling the tank you can think of what to stock in it, people around here would be more than happy to help. :)

It appears I am undergoing a bacterial bloom. The water has taken on a cloudy appearance.

I've been dosing as per the fishless cycle instructions. I assume this is to be expected?

The plants that were recommended to me by 508 should be arriving by Tuesday. Is there a guide on what I should do before inserting them to my tank? Or should I just go ahead and add them?

It depends, what plants did you get?

508 said:

I bought a bundle of plants from a well reviewed ebay seller. I likely won't use all of these but I now have the following:

Anubias lanceolata
Anubias nana "Gold"
Anubias nana "Wrinkle Leaf"
Anubias nana "Round Leaf"
Amazon Swords Echinodorus bleheri
Amazon Swords Echinodorus "Rose"
Amazon Swords Echinodorus americanus
Amazon Swords Echinodorus peruensis
Bolbitis "Baby Leaf"
Duckweed 
Hygrophila difformis, Water Wisteria
Microsorium pteropus
Hygrophila rosanervis
Hygrophila salicifolia
Mayaca fluviatilis
Cabomba aquatica

What I don't use I will be giving to a friend

* Also, will be taking a flamethrower to the duckweed :p

welcomeani.gif
to TFF, Shawn!
Well done for following the advice you've been given so far. There's a wealth of experience on here and people are only too willing to share.
Stick with the fishless cycle - it will take a few weeks but your future fish will thank you for it in the long run and their health and longevity will be much improved as a result as long as you buy appropriate fish for your tank size and appropriate tank mates.
This is just the start of hopefully a very enjoyable hobby - so ENJOY!

Ciddire said:

I bought a bundle of plants from a well reviewed ebay seller. I likely won't use all of these but I now have the following:

Anubias lanceolata
Anubias nana "Gold"
Bolbitis "Baby Leaf"
Duckweed 
Microsorium pteropus
Hygrophila rosanervis
Hygrophila salicifolia
Mayaca fluviatilis
Cabomba aquatica

* Also, will be taking a flamethrower to the duckweed
tongue2.gif

Oh wow, that is a lot of amazon swords lol

You may only have space for one, as the one in my 200L has grown to the height of the tank and is in general just a huge plant. The Anubias, Microsorium Pteropus and Bolbitis will need to be tied into an ornament, piece of wood or a rock. If planted under gravel or sand the rhizome will rot and the plant will die. As for the rest, plant wherever you like. But like I said, that's a lot of plants so you may very well have to give some to your friend
tongue2.gif

here's a pic of my sword in the 55g

IMG_20140507_2240201_zps136682dc.jpg

Mamashack said:
welcomeani.gif
to TFF, Shawn!
Well done for following the advice you've been given so far. There's a wealth of experience on here and people are only too willing to share.
Stick with the fishless cycle - it will take a few weeks but your future fish will thank you for it in the long run and their health and longevity will be much improved as a result as long as you buy appropriate fish for your tank size and appropriate tank mates.

Thank you so much for your kind greeting Mamashack! I look forward to many long years with my fishies :)

508 said:

Anubias lanceolata
Anubias nana "Gold"
Bolbitis "Baby Leaf"
Duckweed 
Microsorium pteropus
Hygrophila rosanervis
Hygrophila salicifolia
Mayaca fluviatilis
Cabomba aquatica

tongue2.gif

You may only have space for one, as the one in my 200L has grown to the height of the tank and is in general just a huge plant. The Anubias, Microsorium Pteropus and Bolbitis will need to be tied into an ornament, piece of wood or a rock. If planted under gravel or sand the rhizome will rot and the plant will die. As for the rest, plant wherever you like. But like I said, that's a lot of plants so you may very well have to give some to your friend
tongue2.gif

What a great looking plant. Everything looks green and your fish seem super happy!  Thanks for sharing your photo! :)

Ciddire said:

welcomeani.gif
to TFF, Shawn!

Thank you so much for your kind greeting Mamashack! I look forward to many long years with my fishies
smile.png

508 said:

Anubias lanceolata
Anubias nana "Gold"
Bolbitis "Baby Leaf"
Duckweed 
Microsorium pteropus
Hygrophila rosanervis
Hygrophila salicifolia
Mayaca fluviatilis
Cabomba aquatica

tongue2.gif

tongue2.gif

What a great looking plant. Everything looks green and your fish seem super happy!  Thanks for sharing your photo!
smile.png

Thats a superb sword!!! No Algae, no melting....you're a pro!!! 
smile.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back