New To Malawi - My Setup And Stock

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

manxjason

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys, first post here

I'm new to cichlids but not fishkeeping. My previous 230ltr sprung a leak last Friday, the day after I managed to sell my previous stock. My setup will be as follows:

Filtration: Eheim pro3 2073 w/spraybar (mature – will mini-cycle to 5ppm with ammonia) & Juwel Bioflow 1000.

Heating: Fluval digital 300w and Juwel 300w

Lighting: 4x54w – Day and Nature / LED Moonlight system

Testing: API Freshwater master test kit / API GH & KH test kit

Water conditioners: Usual de-chlorinator / Epsom Salts / Bicarbonate Soda (both from Boots)

Substrate: Natural Pea Gravel / Crushed coral sand (filter)
Rock: Manx stone (big slate) & Limestone

Just need some help with stocking really. Would like to go for Mbuna.

Here's a video on youtube I seen - could I do something similar to this, with a few less fish though, but no idea on numbers.

20 Demasoni
6 Red Top Galilea
6 Cyn. White Top Hara
5 Red Zebra
6 Yellow Labs
2 Met. Zebra OB
1 Mel. Johannii
5 Hajomylandi
7 Petricola

Obtained this stocking list from this youtube video - tank looks brilliant.

thank

So your tank is 230L? Or have you bought a new setup? What are the dimensions of the tank?

Sorry there, typo! It's a 450litre - 5ft - 1194 foot print.

Thanks

No worries, got yourself a nice size tank. You could go with all the species mentioned above if you really wanted to but its quite a mix/match of fish. Id recommend choosing 3 to 5 species either from the above list or other species you like the look off and have larger numbers of each species. I think it Looks much more natural and the fish will thrive/prefer it that way. There is other options to you can also go with multiple pairs of each species as this spreads the aggression between the males and its less likely for the females to get harassed on a regular basis. Quite a few people ( not meaning you mate, just explaining) just chuck any species of fish together and think its that easy to keep a Malawi tank but if you choose wisely with your stock, tank, decor/ scape and have quality water conditions you will have a much happier setup that looks natural, is healthy which in turn makes the fish act as natural and as healthy as possible :)

No worries, got yourself a nice size tank. You could go with all the species mentioned above if you really wanted to but its quite a mix/match of fish. Id recommend choosing 3 to 5 species either from the above list or other species you like the look off and have larger numbers of each species. I think it Looks much more natural and the fish will thrive/prefer it that way. There is other options to you can also go with multiple pairs of each species as this spreads the aggression between the males and its less likely for the females to get harassed on a regular basis. Quite a few people ( not meaning you mate, just explaining) just chuck any species of fish together and think its that easy to keep a Malawi tank but if you choose wisely with your stock, tank, decor/ scape and have quality water conditions you will have a much happier setup that looks natural, is healthy which in turn makes the fish act as natural and as healthy as possible :)

Thanks very much, how does this sound?

Demasoni 12
Labs 2m/6f
Red zebras 2m/6f
Hong kimpumi and/ Or cynotilapia afra yellow
2 bristle or rubber nose - 1m1f

Cheers

The Pseudotropheus Demasoni id leave out for now as they can be a total nightmare and wouldn't recommend them for someone starting out with malawi's, They usually do best in a species only tank but even then they can still go on a killing spree and cause mayhem( Doesn't mean this is always going to happen) Each fish is individual and some people are lucky enough to keep a group of dems together with other fish and have a lot of success in doing so. Pseudotropheus Saulosi males looks a little similar to dems, they are relatively peaceful compared to the dems to, so these could be an option if your wanting the dark blue and black colouration. Pseudotropheus minutus also have similar colouration and these are really nice fish. The Red zebra's and labidochromis caeruleus could have a chance of hybridizing with one another but if your not wanting to keep fry then they will be fine. The lab hongi's and afra's will be fine to, both very nice species.

With your tank size you could have 1 to 2 larger groups of a certain species (say 12+) Then the other species id either go for a pair or 3+pairs. That way your not going to have the problem of having 1 dominant male and 1 sub dom male that's going to get stick from the alpha male constantly. Also spreading the aggression between the males and females :good:

Thanks for all the info there. The Pseudotropheus Demasoni I kind of had my heart set on. The thing I liked about them was the constant colour across males and females. Do Pseudotropheus minutus have same/similar colour across males and females?

The yellow labs and red zebras I like, but I think for display I'd rather keep the numbers down to 6 each. This will punch orange and yellow into the tank, without overdoing it and distracting from the other fish.

The tank will have a very dark blue background, almost black in fact.

I do really like Alfra's and Hongi's though, these will definitely have to go on the list :)

The guy at the pet shop is emailing me today to find out what I'd like him to order (or if he's able to order the type I like).

I'd prefer not to go for 2 larger groups of 12 in all honesty. The group of 12 was purely for the Demasoni to keep aggression down, as recommended else where.

So hmm stocking list then:

10 seudotropheus minutus
6 yellow labs
6 red zebra
6 hongi
6 alfra
2 bristle or rubbernose plec

Sounding better? That's 5 groups with a nice colouration :)

No worries. No unfortunately not :( the minutus have quite dull females like most mbuna. The Saulosi have nice colouration between the males and females as well as metriaclima msobo magunga, Melanochromis Johanni, Pseudo/Melanochromis Interruptus and there is a few other species too.

Yeah no worries, wasn't insisting that you have 12+ groups just saying the options :) It can look very good and the fish blend really well in the larger groups. The yellow and orange will look good too!. Especially with a nice group of blue.

Yeah that stock list sounds fine to me mate. Have to get some pics up of the tank :good:

Brilliant thanks :) one problem, midland Malawian who im ordering from doesn't have the minutus in stock, and living in the isle of man I'm restricted.

They have a list ere and also tell me there's new fish coming soon, so any suggestions whether on the list or not are welcome.

I have wanted to try Demasoni in all honesty, it's the fish that made me turn to cichlids, so if not them something similar. They'll be the main stock to the tank, so id like great colours on both makes and females.

Thanks for all your help mate, really appreciated :)

Midlands malawis http://www.midlandsmalawis.co.uk/current_stock.php

There is a few species on the list that are great and will work well but its your tank mate so its all up to you. I bet your pretty limited out there then as far as fish go? But its good that midlands post out to you though :) So are you still thinking about having the Demasoni then? or something similar??

No worries, any time mate :good:

There is a few species on the list that are great and will work well but its your tank mate so its all up to you. I bet your pretty limited out there then as far as fish go? But its good that midlands post out to you though :) So are you still thinking about having the Demasoni then? or something similar??

No worries, any time mate :good:

Afraid so mate, it's a nightmare over here selection wise. There's actually no where over here that sells Seachem products - crazy...

Well, thinking about the Demasoni still but not 100% sure on them. Then again though, there's lots of nice and more peaceful species which have the same kind of striping etc.

I spoke to Tony at Tony's Africans, well, he actually called me back and talked for over 20mins about selection and water params etc. He advises to spend the little extra cash (not with him, but else where - so not for profit) on the Seachel Malawi buffer and cichlid salts. Jeez, that stuff is £10 a kg in the US - Over £30 in the UK!

Went with a 600g and 700g of the salts and buffer anyway - he says the colours are generally much richer. The way I look at it, since the leaking tank I've already spent over £1k on this project and due to the fact of only being able to order fish online, decided to go all out and get the salts.

also bough prime (usually use King British) and another external filter 2000lph, for added filtration. So thats the 2 externals and an internal now. I'm going to take the internal media out and pack it into the other 2 evenly (minus the carbon), and then fill the internal filter with B&Q 10mm Limestone to have a constant 'over-time' release in terms of buffering the KH. Sounds like a good idea?

Cheers again ;)

Its a good thing you can get all these products online hey. Ive noticed seachem products aren't as common as most products but i think online is the best place and usually the cheapest.

There is a lot more species as you say but I know what you mean about Demasoni they are great fish and very striking fish too. I mean it can be an hit or miss situation, you may well be lucky enough to get a group that are perfectly fine with the other fish in your tank and just show the usual 'aggressive' nature. What's your plans for the scape of your tank??

It is quite pricey but it will last you a long time as you only have to add what you take out, it is great stuff and always keeps everything stable and my water in top condition. Id recommend getting Seachem Purigen for your filter's too, this is amazing stuff and lasts roughly 3 to 6 months (I think don't quote me on that) It can be recharged to with a mild bleach up to 8times but usually i recharge it twice then buy a new bag. Yeah I know what you mean mate, it can seem a little pricey at the beginning/first setting up (as you know) but once you get all the main products and every things running its certainly cheaper in the long run.

All sounds good mate but, in all Honesty i don't think you will have enough limestone in the internal for a tank of your size. You could use that idea and maybe add some in the externals to. Still not sure if you will have enough limestone or you could buffer the water with bicarbonate of soda then add the lake salts to stabilise and keep the hardness and PH stable.

Ah cool. Yeah I may give them a try yet - will have a think about it.

Well in the new filter I ordered, I could probably free up 2 or 3 of the trays. I thought I'd go or the smaller lime pebbles for a larger surface area?

The tank will mini cycle once i dose to 5ppm ammonia anyway, so this gives me time to see how effective the limestone is in terms of buffering the water?

An sorry, it's using LOTs of Manx Rock (slate), big pieces to small. Will be creating as much hiding places etc as possible

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back