What's new

New to hobby and forum.

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Katemine

Reaction score
My boyfriend and I are fish enthusiasts who have both previously dabbled in keeping fish, but this is the first time either of is are doing things with research and care. I will probably say we a lot in posts, that is why I mention my boyfriend here.

I've quickly become a fish addict. We have a 40g reef tank not fully cycled and set up yet. A 55 gallon community Cichlid tank, a 10 gallon nursery tank and a 5 gal stud tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20220925_040521348.jpg
    IMG_20220925_040521348.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 46
Welcome, I'm fairly new and have found that this is a great community filled with (I'd like to say) experts in many fields.
Hope you enjoy your stay, and good luck with any future endeavours!!

Welcome to the forum, and back to the hobby! It's awesome that you're both into the hobby! Nice to be able to share the hobby with a partner, rather than having them moaning about how many tanks you have... lol.

Also curious about what you mean when you say a stud tank!

Welcome to our forums.
You should enter your 55 gallon tank in our November TOTM contest which features tanks sized at 31 gallons and larger. The reef tank however is not allowed in TOTM contest to keeps things fair.
Please vote in our POTM poll which is running now. Click on banner toward top of forum to view the poll.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I have to ask, what is a stud tank?
Its what i am naming it... An all male tank for getting females pregnant. Like a stud dog or stud horse. I have stud fish. :)

Instead of leaving male and female both in a main tank and removing the mother into a separate tank to labor her brood in, I am putting the females into a male stud tank to get them pregnant. Once pregnant I am moving the females into a nursery tank. Where I will keep the fry and mothers together.

I hope you only have 1 male in the tank when you add the female. Male livebearers irritate the hell out of females and having 1 female in with a group of males would probably upset her.

Your best bet is to move a male into a tank with a female and let them hang out for a few days before removing the male.

Small-tank-under-development?
I like that guess :) but no. Im calling it a stud tank because it is an all male tank used to impregnate the females. I'm going to try things a little differently than most fish keepers because moving the females into a separate tank in the week of delivery has caused stress and 2 miscarried broods. So i created a stud tank and a nursery tank.

Keep the term in mind because you never know I might be starting a new thing ;)

I like that guess :) but no. Im calling it a stud tank because it is an all male tank used to impregnate the females. I'm going to try things a little differently than most fish keepers because moving the females into a separate tank in the week of delivery has caused stress and 2 miscarried broods. So i created a stud tank and a nursery tank.

Keep the term in mind because you never know I might be starting a new thing ;)
What species of males are you keeping in the stud tank? They stay in there full time? What's the male/female ratio when you add a female?

While it's fun to think you may be starting a whole new way of breeding, spawning tanks aren't a new idea ;)

Welcome to the forum!

My boyfriend and I are fish enthusiasts who have both previously dabbled in keeping fish, but this is the first time either of is are doing things with research and care. I will probably say we a lot in posts, that is why I mention my boyfriend here.

I've quickly become a fish addict. We have a 40g reef tank not fully cycled and set up yet. A 55 gallon community Cichlid tank, a 10 gallon nursery tank and a 5 gal stud tank.
Welcome! Glad to have you here!

What species of males are you keeping in the stud tank? They stay in there full time? What's the male/female ratio when you add a female?

While it's fun to think you may be starting a whole new way of breeding, spawning tanks aren't a new idea ;)
Spawning tank is not a new idea but calling it a stud tank is. Lol. I have 1 male of each species. But there are 3 male platy because they were hard to catch in the store and we finally decided to catch a couple and sort it out later.

Was thinking about this and i wanted to add 2 things. Ratio doesnt really matter when you only need 1 of each to become pregnant.

And i guess i was calling it a stud tank and not a spawning tank is because of the way in which they are having babies. They are having intercourse not laying eggs, and with all land side animals we call it studding.

I guess 3 things...

most breeders have a main tank and they remove the female or trap the babies. The way i am approaching the subject is not a very common way. But it made more sense to me and seems tons easier (in theory that is, as none of the fry have been born yet. I have yet to see how it will work out. But the traditional methods were not my cup of tea.). That way wasnt working for me or the fish.

Just throwing this out there. Female livebearers like swordtails, platies, guppies and mollies can carry sperm packets for 6 months or more and use these to fertilise eggs they are carrying. If you are trying to breed fish for a particular colour or trait, you have to let them use up all the sperm packets and then breed them with the male. It could be a while before the females use up all the sperm packets they currently carry.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back