New to Guppies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

swamped31

Reaction score
We are new to guppies--actually any fish. :) We are having a rough start and hoping to get some questions answered.

Hello and welcome :)
Can you give us some details about the problems?
You can also get information on cycling here:

If you can give us as much information as possible, as well as the details about the problem:
size of tank, volume and dimensions
levels of ammonia and nitrite in the tank water
how long the tank has been set up
decor - do you have any live plants
water change regime - how much and how often
do you have hard water or soft water (your water provider's website may have this info, we need a number rather than words)

Answers to these questions will help us to help you.

I have guppies. If you do things right u will soon have tons of them. Things u need...

1. A water pump, and heat source. Water pump should have a filter with it.
2. Water of course but make sure before fish are put in the water is at the right temperature my tank is set to 75 degrees F
3. You should buy stick on temperature gauge so u can see what your temp is
4. You should have some place for fish to hide such as plants u can buy them at fish store.
5. U need a base so maybe some small rocks for bottom

Upkeep

Change 60 percent of the water once every 4 or 5 days when changing water have it about same temp and add it slowly to your tank.

Note : It's a good idea to have an extra tank for any sick fish and transfer of water. In my opinion can never have too many fish tanks.

still having problems
Let's look at PH levels
Anything else I may have missed
Note: the good thing about guppies is they have lots of babies and despite me scaring you with everything u should do they are super easy to care for. Once you ha a your tank conditioned you should have no problems with upkeeping and possible being overwhelmed with how many you got. Hope I was able to help.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my running tank

Attachments

• 15806747879705846294741140418719.jpg
    15806747879705846294741140418719.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 91
Hello and welcome, I have a 30 gallon guppy/shrimp tank like @Freshwater Sucker Fish said they have lots of babies :fish:I started with 8 adults a few months ago and now have at least 40+ fry of several different broods swimming in my tank. It looks like they just had some more:oh: Still waiting to see any baby shrimp:rolleyes:

Last edited:
On the off chance that you can give us however much data as could reasonably be expected, just as the insights regarding the issue:

size of tank, volume and measurements

levels of smelling salts and nitrite in the tank water

to what extent the tank has been set up

stylistic theme - do you have any live plants

water change system - how much and how frequently

do you have hard water or delicate water (your water supplier's site may have this data, we need a number instead of words)

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back