New to aquarium keeping, looking for advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
'Try and nude the decoration'???
uhm I meant nudge...
Doesn't look like he can get stuck. More likely he is hiding. Did you add the new fish directly in with your current ones? Seems like it. You need to quarantine new fish, especially ones that came from shifty systems with possible ich etc.
Yeah, I didn't think about it should I move it over or wait and see what happens? since it has already been in there?

my dad used to have a 60gal tank a few years back and he said he never quarantined his fish and his was fine. though he eventually made his tank saltwater.

Since you already added them, whatever they may have had is already in your system. Quarantining is always a good idea, and you saw disease in the systems so it should have been a no brainer. But no point now. Hopefully you don't get a disease outbreak (again).

Since you already added them, whatever they may have had is already in your system. Quarantining is always a good idea, and you saw disease in the systems so it should have been a no brainer. But no point now. Hopefully you don't get a disease outbreak (again).
should I raise tank temp to help get rid of it IF it is in there? I figured PetSmart's different tanks had different filtration It would've been smart to do if not.

because the fish that I picked out were not in the clown loach tank that showed signs of ich.

I don't tend to quarantine fish. If you are buying them from your LFS and looking at the fish carefully before purchasing there should be no need to quarantine. A lot of people don't have the space or setups to have separate quarantine tanks. The question is how long are you going to quarantine for and what are you expecting to find. The fish in quarantine are usually in a tank that is small and less than ideal and just the stress on the fish being in there is enough to make it sick.

I don't tend to quarantine fish. If you are buying them from your LFS and looking at the fish carefully before purchasing there should be no need to quarantine. A lot of people don't have the space or setups to have separate quarantine tanks. The question is how long are you going to quarantine for and what are you expecting to find. The fish in quarantine are usually in a tank that is small and less than ideal and just the stress on the fish being in there is enough to make it sick.
Disagree with this fully - especially with goldfish... which are my main fish of choice. Many are imported from Asia and there are MANY keepers who put one directly in with their fish and wiped out entire systems. I honestly say quarantining is NOT optional with goldfish. When you pay $100+ for each fish in your system - you don't take risks by just chucking a foreign fish into your system.

30 days is generally long enough for any issues such as ich etc to reveal themselves. But 30 days is bare minimum for me. I often do 60 with goldfish. I have a microscope also which can detect things such as flukes or costia which may not show symptoms until the fish gets stressed or the water gets a certain temp.

Either way - the OP saw ich in the systems he got the fish from. Also, he got them from a well known big box store known for poor fish quality and often having diseases. So adding them directly to the tank here doesn't make much sense to me. But oh well. What's done is done.

Maybe the answer is then if you see Ich in the tanks you don't buy any fish from them. It sounds like you need to change your supplier.

I'd have a QT tank for about 4 days before it became a Betta or shrimp tank

I suppose a bucket with a cycled sponge filter would work in principle

Disagree with this fully - especially with goldfish... which are my main fish of choice. Many are imported from Asia and there are MANY keepers who put one directly in with their fish and wiped out entire systems. I honestly say quarantining is NOT optional with goldfish.

30 days is generally long enough for any issues such as ich etc to reveal themselves. But 30 days is bare minimum for me. I often do 60 with goldfish. I have a microscope also which can detect things such as flukes or costia which may not show symptoms until the fish gets stressed or the water gets a certain temp.

Either way - the OP saw ich in the systems he got the fish from. Also, he got them from a well known big box store known for poor fish quality and often having diseases. So adding them directly to the tank here doesn't make much sense to me. But oh well. What's done is done.
I do somewhat agree with you but seeing as none of the fish had these symptoms or any illnesses leaves me to believe that they were fine? I mean every fish seems to be doing amazingly better! then they were in the fish store, most fish were trying to hide in the fish store but after a day they seem to be just perfect, the only thing I didn't do which is 100% a big no-no is pouring the store water into the tank when adding the fish, each bag was emptied into a bucket and scooped the fish up with a net and put in :)

and I really don't know if it was ich for sure, but they seemed to like it the clown loach was kinda hanging out near the bottom and it had white specs on the tail & fin as far as I can remember.
the other fish that was in that same tank didn't have the white specs.

but what's done is done. If I get it again then I guess never buy from petsmart but there's really no other fish store around me to buy from there's tropical world pets but thats like maybe 40 Minutes away and their fish is expensive AF for a bristlenose pleco (SMALL) it's like $79.99 clown loaches are around $49.99 and everything else there is just around the $20-$100 range

though surprisingly their chemicals aren't expensive 😆 you can get seachem flourish for around $10 at petco/petsmart it's like $17

Maybe the answer is then if you see Ich in the tanks you don't buy any fish from them. It sounds like you need to change your supplier.
That is the first thing that I said actually - however in many cases... such as mine. These big box stores are the only option. There's ONE LFS somewhat near me and it mostly caters to saltwater. So if I want freshwater fish, the big box store is where I have to go usually. And usually there are issues in the systems.

That is the first thing that I said actually - however in many cases... such as mine. These big box stores are the only option. There's ONE LFS somewhat near me and it mostly caters to saltwater. So if I want freshwater fish, the big box store is where I have to go usually. And usually there are issues in the systems.
Never buy fish from a tank that has an issue. Never buy a fish from a tank that has a dead fish in it. Never buy a fish from a tank that has mixed species that are not compatible. Never buy a fish from a tank that has just had new fish added to it.

Never buy fish from a tank that has an issue. Never buy a fish from a tank that has a dead fish in it. Never buy a fish from a tank that has mixed species that are not compatible. Never buy a fish from a tank that has just had new fish added to it.
Problem is you won't always notice an issue.

I think QT is always a good idea - but I do admit I don't do it either for similar reasons .

Just being devil's advocate - it's how I think :p

Lol... and clearly that would mean never buying fish at all for some people.. as I just implied. But okay fair enough.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back