New to aquarium keeping, looking for advice

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Good to know, Will trade mine out hopefully in a few days

I never planned to overstock was just curious.

so what if I don't put plants or decor in it just gravel and the filter lights, all the essential stuff?
Actually, for a 'Hospital' tank, a bunch of plants are good, 'cos they give security.
That said, ambient light should be enough.
A simple airpump-driven sponge filter should suffice, with an airstone, plus an adjustable heater.

Actually, for a 'Hospital' tank, a bunch of plants are good, 'cos they give security.
That said, ambient light should be enough.
A simple airpump-driven sponge filter should suffice, with an airstone, plus an adjustable heater.
so the 3 gal tank came with:
LED Light w/ Lid
Hang on back filter (A tiny little puny one) - Clogs very very very easily
then ofc the tank itself now I might get another one because this is a circular tank and it's kinda weird to see in

What it didn't come with was:
Adjustable Heater
Airpump
Airstone

now I had an extra heater from my big tank kit (Kinda just used the tank as of now because the aqueon quietflow 20 filter like the impeller won't stop clogging... like every week) and the original heater was nonadjustable (100W) and it heated to 77-78*F
as for the airpump I had an airpump from when I again started my tank I bought one with an airstone then I got a little house decor with a built in like wheel that runs off of air, etc my pump I had wasn't powerful enough for it so I bought a bigger one and it works great so to sub the missing heater and airpump I used what I had

I plan on getting an adjustable heater for the QT tank, but to sub for the missing airstone I didn't have I cut some very very small holes into some aquarium air tubing and made a small bubble wall out of it and it works great! I still have to get gravel & maybe a small decor since it's a very small tank

and I might just get a sponge filter because well it's $2 on amazon 🤣

so the 3 gal tank came with:
LED Light w/ Lid
Hang on back filter (A tiny little puny one) - Clogs very very very easily
then ofc the tank itself now I might get another one because this is a circular tank and it's kinda weird to see in

What it didn't come with was:
Adjustable Heater
Airpump
Airstone

now I had an extra heater from my big tank kit (Kinda just used the tank as of now because the aqueon quietflow 20 filter like the impeller won't stop clogging... like every week) and the original heater was nonadjustable (100W) and it heated to 77-78*F
as for the airpump I had an airpump from when I again started my tank I bought one with an airstone then I got a little house decor with a built in like wheel that runs off of air, etc my pump I had wasn't powerful enough for it so I bought a bigger one and it works great so to sub the missing heater and airpump I used what I had

I plan on getting an adjustable heater for the QT tank, but to sub for the missing airstone I didn't have I cut some very very small holes into some aquarium air tubing and made a small bubble wall out of it and it works great! I still have to get gravel & maybe a small decor since it's a very small tank

and I might just get a sponge filter because well it's $2 on amazon 🤣
Lose the 'decor'...it takes up valuable swimming space.
The bubble curtain was a good call.
A cheap sponge filter is good for a hospital tank. If you end up treating something really nasty, swapping the filter sponge afterwards is no great hardship...and they take up very little space and don't make an uncomfortable current.

A cheap sponge filter is good for a hospital tank. If you end up treating something really nasty, swapping the filter sponge afterwards is no great hardship...and they take up very little space and don't make an uncomfortable current.
Well, I guess I'll go ahead and order the sponge filter I guess the sooner it gets here the faster I can get the tank cycled with a sponge filter? IDK how that works lol

it's only $2 what's it going to hurt LOL

Alright, I just ordered the Sponge filter :D it'll be here sept 5th now sponge filters just need an air pump right? no need for an extra plug?

I think you can get rechargable battery pumps these days, and people with fish rooms might use a single massive air pump for all tanks , but otherwise the pump needs to be plugged in

Just as i was thinking my common pleco didn't like the wafers i went to look at my tank one more time before going to bed and noticed him
Gnawing down on the wafer!!!

WELCOME to the fishkeeping hobby! :hi:
I created a collection of articles that you may find very useful: Newer Hobbyist's Primer. And following this, you might take the deep dive into Filtration and Water Quality.
will do

The $2 is pretty small but it's rated for 10 gallons

pic is below
PXL_20210903_203347052.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back