The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

meghroll

Reaction score
Hey guys, 
So I started a new tank over a week ago now, and I couldn't contain my excitement. I received a 44 gallon tank (bare) as a christmas gift. I bought a filter, heater, rocks (substrate) and starter kit for my new tank and started cycling it. The next day, I added 3 harlequin rasboras. They were still alive the next day, so I put in my betta that I owned previously. They were all doing swimmingly (pun lol). I gave them a two days, then added 3 more rasboras and 3 cories. They were all fine. I was checking my ph and ammonia levels 1 to 2 times a day, and they were fine. About 3 days later I added 6 most rasboras and 2 days after that another 3 cories. I have added plants and wood as well over that time.
So no my conflict.
I know it's best to cycle your tank without fish, but I was so excited that I has a lapse of judgement and put fish in. They all did fine until after a week, my betta had eaten one of the rasboras tails. That rasbora died later on that day. Then I did a partial water change that day, as it had been a week and everyone says weekly water changes. After an hour from the water change, my betta died. The next day, 2 of my rasboras died.
If my ph and ammonia levels are fine, what could be the problem? 
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
They were all doing so good, until my betta ate that rasbora and the water change...
I hoping for suggestions or comments on what everyone thinks happened, as well as things I can do to improve the future for the tank.
Also, I hope to add more fish in a week or two, depending on what happens in the next few days. Any suggestions of hardy fish that I could include in my set up already? (10 rasboras, 6 cories)

Sidenote. I did condition the new water for the partial change. I added prime and Clarity. My tap water is really cloudy. I'm thinking monthly water changes, as my tap water is probably worst than what is in the tank.

Thanks for the help!
Photo 1.jpg

First off, :hi: to the forum.

Second, DO NOT ADD ANY MORE FISH. Unless you added mature media from your betta tank, your tank does not have a good colony of bacteria that will turn ammonia into nitrite, and nitrite into nitrate. You need to wait until your tank is mature until you add anymore fish.

What test kit are you using? Liquid or strips? What is the nitrite reading? What is the exact pH and ammonia readings?
What temperature is your tank at? What is the readings of your tap water - ammonia, pH, nitrite and nitrate? 

How do you perform your water changes? Explain to me exactly.

Answering these questions will help us determine what is wrong.

Liquid tests.
They don't show nitrite, though on the box it says 'AMMONIA nh3 nh4' so i was under the impression that it would show all 3, not just ammonia.
The HP is around a 6.8 or 7
The temp is 79
I haven't checked my tap water reading. 

I guess I went into this pretty ignorantly. I had no clue how harmful it could be to start early. I kind of feel terrible.

As for water changes, I only did one. I took out about 15-20% of the water, and put new water in. I conditioned the water as I was filling it.

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, that means they don't show all of them :/ There are two types of ammonia, ammonia (NH3) and ammonium (NH4), the ammonia test kit measures both.
What is the exact ammonia reading?

If possible, try to get the nitrite and nitrate API (The brand you're using now?) liquid test kits, once you have them, post the exact results on here.

Its okay, don't feel bad, you're not the first to make this mistake and you certainly won't be the last. The most important thing is to not add anymore fish until this problem gets sorted.

Until you can get the nitrite and nitrate tests, do daily water changes of at least 50%, making sure to add dechlorinator and use warm water (as close to 79 as possible).

Do you think it would be possible for you to return your fish back to your LFS? If you could, that would be a big help. Once returned, you could cycle your tank (following the guide in my signature) and then pick the fish back up, after the tank is fully cycled. 

The ammonia level is zero, or so the test says.
Everything was fine until I did the water change. I really don't want to try again. My mom told me that when I was a baby, her and her bf had 5 tanks ( 120g, 25g, 5g, a saltwater tank, and 50g), and she told me that they did a 50% water change once a year.
I feel like whatever bacteria needs to be built up in there, wont be able to build up if i keep changing the water.

I'm not sure if I can return the fish.

I have a rasbora casualty everyday now since my water change. The cories are going strong. There weird thing about the rasboras is that I keep finding them stuck to the filter.

Hello and 
welcomeani.gif

You sure have dove straight into the depend here.

As BLF has already mentioned, you're not the first and certainly won't be the last to make mistakes like this.
Please do not add any more fish into your tank.

I'd actually recommend, if you can, r-home or take these fish back to your local fish store where you bought them from. And start afresh with a Fishless Cycle, believe me, much, much easier and less stress and less had work.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

If you can't or won't re-home these fish then follow the fish in cycle link BLF has given, be warned though, it s a long hard slog and hopefully ALL you fish will make it, unlikely though but possible.

Whichever method you choose, fishless or fish in cycle you will need a test kit if you have not already got one, I know you have Ammonia and ammonium test but i'd urge you to get ph and nitrite.
Cheaper if you get an API Master Test Kit online being cheaper than in store generally.
These test kit will have ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all as liquid test kit, a bit more accurate and decent value of money for beginners.

Carry on doing large water changes, not forgetting to add dechlorinater into bucket of fresh water before adding to tank, will help a bit also if you can roughly match the water temp before adding to tank.

BTW you mum's BF who says water change of 50% once a year is not right, do not follow that particular piece of advice please, fish keeping has changed an awful lot over the years since you were small.

Please do continue to post your progress on this thread, we'll be happy to help you with any questions or whenever you get stuck or need advice.
You'll do just fine.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back