New Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I made the mistake of doing a in fish cycle. It is defiantly more work. Daily water changes and testing the levels. Hold out as long as you can on getting the fish they will be happier. I wish you the best of luck.
good.gif

Hi and thx, have 5 Golden Barb's in tank now since Monday, they look to have settled in :) Ph went up a bit but was told that was to be expected so am checking it daily for a few days.

Now , instead of a fishless cycle, you are doing a fish in cycle. :sad: I can't stress this enough, research fish in cycles asap!! You will need a liquid test kit. Test for ammonia and nitrite. don't worry about pH too much at this point. If at any time the ammonia or nitrite go above 0.25, do a partial water change of atleast 50%. 80 - 90% would be better.

A nitrite reading of 10 is NOT ok. Levels this high will cause damage to your fish. What is the ammonia at?

As I said before, don't believe everything they tell you at the pet store.

Seriously dude, listen to the pro's. They know what they're talking about. Always double-check what the pet store tell you. This way you take your time and in the long run you'll make fewer mistakes. Oh and :hi:

hiya m8,

your ammonia is too high. if you are setting up another tank at any point PLEASE complete a fish-less cycle and listen to the advice given on here. although it involves a bit of a wait before you can add fish (which is a pain, we all want them straight away!) don't believe what you are told at the lfs. they are there to sell fish and bottled bacteria (which is about as much use as a chocolate teapot!) and are interested only in making a sale. you were advised of the best way forward by the people on this forum. i am sorry that you did not follow this advice and now have ammonia problems. however, we won't hold it against you!!! we need to deal with the problems you have now, namely your water parameters.

do a huge water change to start with. leave just enough water for the fish to swim upright. remember to de-chlorinate and temperature match the fresh water before you add it to your tank. continue to carry out large water changes (50% minimum) until your ammonia levels drop to 0. you really need to get your own test kit. i would recommend a liquid kit such as API Master or Nutrafin Mini Master. Don't bother buying strips...they're rubbish and unreliable IMO. you can get a kit off ebay for about £17. they do last a long time and are essential in keeping an eye on your water quality.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.

L :good:

Ps - can i just back rickzayne up here. everything he said was completely correct in my opinion and he seemed to be getting it in the neck!!

communitytank75 - if this method works for you, nice 1. however, i personally think you have just been lucky so far not to have lost a hell of a lot of fish!! we spend much of our time on here promoting the 'proper procedure' of the fishless cycle and as your method is, in my opinion, more than a little precarious, it may be best if you could point people towards the fish-less cycling thread as another option. no offense. :)

I'm sorry if it seems like we are all harping on you. Some of us have been doing this for a very long time( I've had tanks for 42 years). I don't claim to be an expert, but I choose to be here and help people with their problems, if I can. We are not like the lfs. We gain nothing by giving you advice, except the satisfaction of seeing our hobby grow. You are very welcome here. We will help you all we can. But in order to help, we need you to start listening to us. Some people are very lucky and can do everything wrong and come out with great results, but that's just luck and luck eventually runs out. Once again, we have NOTHING to gain, just the happiness and health of YOUR fish.

please be patient and follow the advice of this forum, they seriously know what they are talking about, ive been keeping fish for over 10 years and i would do what they have suggested because ive done it differently in the past and paid for my mistakes, it takes time but the result is fantastic, good things take time you cant rush perfection, and that what you should aim for. di

+1 colleen. well said. we only want to help you and share our experience...seriously!! i would always look here for any advice and follow the information given to me by these people. no one will purposely give you bad advice...we have nothing to gain by doing that and we are all here because we WANT to be. I have kept fish for over 8 years now and many people on here (like colleen) have been part of the hobby for much longer. I am sure everyone would agree there is always room to learn something new. we will not have a go at you for doing something wrong but you must be open to constructive advice...we all are!! i am sure you will be fine. if you need any help or advice, just post your query and we'll all do our best to help.

L :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back