New Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
When you take your water to pets at home what they are testing is.. tap water.. so its obviously going to be safe for fish.

chances are if you put a few fish in.. they MAY die unless you do water changes every day.

that would increase more chance of dying..if you do water change everyday, thats more chlorines and other chemicals keep going in to the tank and depends on what filters you have and since the tank isnt even estalibshed that well..you might just end up with falling in love with water conditioner..dont do water change everyday until your tank is estalished for a while..and do not need to do water change everyday..even if you do decide to do so, only do like 25% or a bit less...

.and we all know how frustrating it could get as a beginner...and the less time you put your hand in the tank the less fishes will be stressed..

i highly recommand you my method next time..try it..hassle free..

:no:

you use tap safe to remove chlorine... the new water does nothing but keep the poisonous AMMONIA levels down.

just saying.

http://tinypic.com/r/2wqbqqp/7[/img]
bacteria dies after a few hours... wouldn't last in a bottle on a shop shelf for 2 weeks...

But borrowing some sponge from a cycled tank will speed it up.

it has been working great for me... and i did a 100% water change due to moving my tank to living room from another room..and it turned out great..i always make sure to buy the most recent arrrival product from my local store..like i'd only go on their shipping coming in day..which will ensure what im getting is fresh..

http://tinypic.com/r/2wqbqqp/7[/img]
bacteria dies after a few hours... wouldn't last in a bottle on a shop shelf for 2 weeks...

But borrowing some sponge from a cycled tank will speed it up.

it has been working great for me... and i did a 100% water change due to moving my tank to living room from another room..and it turned out great..i always make sure to buy the most recent arrrival product from my local store..like i'd only go on their shipping coming in day..which will ensure what im getting is fresh..

....the bacteria living in your filter would of done the work there...

... am I being trolled

well here is what i always do for my 100 gallon and 75 gallon tank set up

1. live bacteria bottle. i put it in the tank after filling up the tank with water from sink about 40%,

2. I then put the heater on, and decorations and what not,

3. fill the rest water up to my desired water level, connect the filter.

4. let it run for about 30 minutes, and wait till the temperature is right and water is clear

5. put fishes in

never had any problem of what so ever by doing this way for past 10 years.. just saying..

...how has your heater not exploded on you if your turning it on whiles its not fully submerged..

but if it works for you... great..

i made sure the heater was fully submerged way below water level :no:

under water submerging heaters? doesnt most people use it? :no:

never heard of heater exploding...not sure in uk, but here in usa, and especially i don buy cheap products for my fishes..and of course i'd submerge it fully , under water level...before plugging in..;;

Hi there; welcome to the forum.

You really need to either;

do a fishless cycle; there are articles on how to do that in the begginer's resource centre; the link is in my sig

or get some mature media that will already have the bacteria growing onit; some shops wil give you a bit, or you can get some from a friend's tank, if you know anyone who has a tank already set up.

We never recommend fish-in cycles, it's a lot of hard work; daily water changes are needed; sometimes more than one, depending on the fish and there is always the risk of killing the fish or causing them permanent damage from elevated levels of toxins.

It can take a long time, but as a new fishkeeper it gives you time to learn about the nitrogen cycle, testing and good water changing practices which will all be invaluable to you in the future and you don't have to worry about hurting any fish. Remember that once you've done one fishless cycle, all your future tanks can be cloned from that one, cycled filter, so it's well worth the time.

HI There, i'm new here too.. not new to keeping fish, But new to doing it all properly, well by that i mean getting into it more and trying to do everything the right way... the worse part about having a tank is having to wait to get your fish... I'm in Suffolk too and my local fish suppliers (Kesgrave Fisheries ) that are Family run, gave me some of their filter material to give my tank a bit of a kick start...Good luck in your New Hobie Joe.

Leese

Hi Leese
I'm up here in Lowestoft, got a choice of places here to go for fish just need to pick the one thats always gonna be good for me and the fish.

OMG.... What the heck....i am very new to fishkeeping..but i know this wouldnt work :blink:
the OP needs to pop over to the beginners section to read up on fishLESS cycles :good:

Well day 2 and followed all instructions from the pet store where I got the tank from, after placing 3 live tropical plants into the water the tank now looks liks this.??
all cloudy, called store and they said it should clear up in a day or 2? if not they have a short term remedy of something to place into the water

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Welcome to the forum! :good: Sorry to say it , but don't believe everything they tell you at the pet shop. Their job is to make money even if it is at your expence.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back