New Tank Oranda fantail + white clouds?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

They are Neon tubes
Thats interesting the tubes are not seen so much now because LEDs are more energy efficient. T5 bulbs are good to grow a lot of plants but could cause algae if you dont have enough plants. It might be good to add some fast growing plants like Limnophilla Sessiflora.

Wills

Thats interesting the tubes are not seen so much now because LEDs are more energy efficient. T5 bulbs are good to grow a lot of plants but could cause algae if you dont have enough plants. It might be good to add some fast growing plants like Limnophilla Sessiflora.

Wills
Insted of the Limnophilla I have the Egeria Densa that Is fast growing and Is really good.

Under the lid my tank mounts the neon light system and I don't want to buy those led bars which then force me to keep the lid open :(

those neon I placed 6500-6800k 24w they told me are the best for growing plants

Last edited:
2 T5 neon 6500k 24w, Tomorrow they will be on for about 5 hours and 30 min

T5 is a significantly more intense light than T8 which is the standard fluorescent these days. T5 was a boon to marine aquarists because it took fewer tubes to obtain the bright light that corals require. So in my opinion, you have bright light.

Anubias is a slow growing plant, and that means it requires less light intensity along with less nutrients in the water. Floating plants are good to help here, and may be all you need.

Intensity and duration are not interchangeable, by which I mean that if the light is too intense, or the opposite, adjusting the length the light is one will not usually resolve issues. But with floating plants, and reduced light period (5-6 hours) things may be fine.

As usual Byron has explained things better than I ever can :)

You have really good lights so just need to be careful that they dont cause algae - you need to balance bright lights with nutrition and in this case a plant volume to prevent algae growth.

Wills

T5 is a significantly more intense light than T8 which is the standard fluorescent these days. T5 was a boon to marine aquarists because it took fewer tubes to obtain the bright light that corals require. So in my opinion, you have bright light.

Anubias is a slow growing plant, and that means it requires less light intensity along with less nutrients in the water. Floating plants are good to help here, and may be all you need.

Intensity and duration are not interchangeable, by which I mean that if the light is too intense, or the opposite, adjusting the length the light is one will not usually resolve issues. But with floating plants, and reduced light period (5-6 hours) things may be fine.
Thanks what kind of float plants should I buy with 2 Ryukins ?

Thanks what kind of float plants should I buy with 2 Ryukins ?
How have they been with your plants so far? Frogbit is pretty bomb proof, you could also look at duckweed, goldfish do eat it but it grows so fast it could stand a chance :)

Wills

Yes, the being eaten aspect would suggest tougher plants like Frogbit, or Water Lettuce.

How have they been with your plants so far? Frogbit is pretty bomb proof, you could also look at duckweed, goldfish do eat it but it grows so fast it could stand a chance :)

Wills
Not much because in the small tank I used to have a small anubias but was infested by Black algee and I trow It away, I Will try with duckweed and use my small tank to cultivate them so if they eat It all I Will still have some back-up

Not much because in the small tank I used to have a small anubias but was infested by Black algee and I trow It away, I Will try with duckweed and use my small tank to cultivate them so if they eat It all I Will still have some back-up
That sounds great :D When do the fish move in? Make sure you share some pics with us :)

That sounds great :D When do the fish move in? Make sure you share some pics with us :)
the tank has been maturing for 10 days, I put in the bacterias to speed up the process, I will wait another 10 days and then I will do a water test :)

Yes, the being eaten aspect would suggest tougher plants like Frogbit, or Water Lettuce.
Another question :) as a filter I have the fluval 200 external with 3 internal baskets plus biological sponges:
starting from the bottom I put:

1st basket ( botton ) were water enters first i placed White wool biological sponge
2nd basket: biological filter porous white cylinders
3rd basket (Top) I wanted to put Purelava Askoll but the shopkeeper not having the product suggested me (coal with volcanic zeolite)

now I read around that zeolite it is bad for your tank and should be used in rare cases.... but it is already 11 days that I start the maturation of the tank... is the case to remove the bag or do I leave everything unchanged? Thank you

Last edited:
Zeolite removes ammonia and starves the bacteria so the colonies don't grow. The zeolite must be replaced before it gets full or it will stop removing ammonia and with not enough bacteria, the level will shoot up. This means replacing zeolite regularly, for ever. It is much cheaper to let bacteria grow and do the job instead.

Have you been adding ammonia to the tank to feed the bacteria to make sure there enough? If you haven't you need to do this - and remove the zeolite first or it will just remove any ammonia you add.

Zeolite removes ammonia and starves the bacteria so the colonies don't grow. The zeolite must be replaced before it gets full or it will stop removing ammonia and with not enough bacteria, the level will shoot up. This means replacing zeolite regularly, for ever. It is much cheaper to let bacteria grow and do the job instead.

Have you been adding ammonia to the tank to feed the bacteria to make sure there enough? If you haven't you need to do this - and remove the zeolite first or it will just remove any ammonia you add.
Hi Essjay
I just added the bio bact for 7 days, this one:

So I need to remove the Zeolite? what I can do for the moment add more wool in place ?

Another question :) as a filter I have the fluval 200 external with 3 internal baskets plus biological sponges:
starting from the bottom I put:

1st basket ( botton ) were water enters first i placed White wool biological sponge
2nd basket: biological filter porous white cylinders
3rd basket (Top) I wanted to put Purelava Askoll but the shopkeeper not having the product suggested me (coal with volcanic zeolite)

now I read around that zeolite it is bad for your tank and should be used in rare cases.... but it is already 11 days that I start the maturation of the tank... is the case to remove the bag or do I leave everything unchanged? Thank you

The order of the media is reversed. The first media that water being pumped into the filter should pass through is the largest, usually ceramic disks, "Nuts" as in nuts and bolts, or whatever. This is just to trap larger bits so they don't clog the fine mesh media. The second media can be biological. The third/final media is the sponge/wool that traps very fine particulate matter.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back