New Tank Oranda fantail + white clouds?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

An Oranda looks like this (not my pic)

View attachment 159312

So they have the brain looking bump on the head called a Wen. This is a red cap but you can get fully red ones and fully black ones etc. Similar looking are Ranchus and Lionheads.

With yours I think they are Ryukins because of the high backs and you have a red and a calico. A Fantail is a type in its own right but they have a flat back but otherwise the same flowing fins and body shape.

And great now I want a fancy goldfish haha

Wills
Ok so 2 Ryukin ^^ good to know they were given to me by my colleague that he didnt want to take care of them anymore so I decided to give a shot and try this experience with my son.

Everyone to their own but I think they look absolutely crazy ugly. All they need is a lip job and boobs and get a part in a scifi movie.

Hi Lynnzer, they are pretty, but checking around I found out this:
" Due to the Odessa Barb being a fin nipper pairing them with fish who are slow-moving or have long-flowing fins is not ideal. "

Plus they eat 3 times a day, I cant risk to give my reds too much food and them too less food and run all the time a food competition between them :0..

Plus for what i read they are extremly sensibile on water changes: While this fish is hardy and can survive in a variety of water conditions once these conditions are set they should not be changed as the Odessa Barb is extremely sensitive to frequent change.

dunno... I think they dont fit well with my reds :(

Fin nipping is a possibility with most barbs. Studies have shown that such behaviours can be eliminated with a sufficiently sized group of the barb species. With Pethia padamya (the "Odessa" Barb) this means a group of 10-12, and if selected I would suggest 12-15. Have some floating plants (goldfish may snack on these, but sturdier plants like Water Lettuce might manage). The temperature can be temperate, basically room temperature, which for most of us would never get below a suitable range for these fish.

I don't know where the suggestion that this fish (the barb) is susceptible to water changes. WC's are intended to maintain stable parameters and conditions. I also question the three times a day feeding. No fish we keep (except fry) need food that often. One feeding a day is plenty. I have always kept one and usually two "fast" days and the fish were fine.

Fin nipping is a possibility with most barbs. Studies have shown that such behaviours can be eliminated with a sufficiently sized group of the barb species. With Pethia padamya (the "Odessa" Barb) this means a group of 10-12, and if selected I would suggest 12-15. Have some floating plants (goldfish may snack on these, but sturdier plants like Water Lettuce might manage). The temperature can be temperate, basically room temperature, which for most of us would never get below a suitable range for these fish.

I don't know where the suggestion that this fish (the barb) is susceptible to water changes. WC's are intended to maintain stable parameters and conditions. I also question the three times a day feeding. No fish we keep (except fry) need food that often. One feeding a day is plenty. I have always kept one and usually two "fast" days and the fish were fine.
Here

quote: "Goldfish also produce lots of waste that could potentially be hazardous to the Odessa Barb."

quote: "Due to the active nature of the Odessa Barb, they can work up quite the appetite. These fish should be fed two to three times a day."

also dont think I have the space for 10-12 :rolleyes: because they grow 4 inches

Last edited:
I had Odessas but to be honest I was like a kid finding a new candy shop when I got them. The tank was way too small and already had a good but too large collection of other fish right down to Neons. I also had a couple of pearl gouramis. The Odessas only really interacted with themselves. I had 6 of them. I never fed them more than a couple of times a day and mostly just once a day. At that time I didn't buy frozen bloodworm of things so it was always flake food.
They did pretty well but I eventually swapped them for smaller fish. They are the most gorgeous of fish with prominent scales and bright colouration.
Room temperature should be fine in Italy unless you live in the Alps.
Watch:

I had Odessas but to be honest I was like a kid finding a new candy shop when I got them. The tank was way too small and already had a good but too large collection of other fish right down to Neons. I also had a couple of pearl gouramis. The Odessas only really interacted with themselves. I had 6 of them. I never fed them more than a couple of times a day and mostly just once a day. At that time I didn't buy frozen bloodworm of things so it was always flake food.
They did pretty well but I eventually swapped them for smaller fish. They are the most gorgeous of fish with prominent scales and bright colouration.
Room temperature should be fine in Italy unless you live in the Alps.
Watch:
Yes they look cool but I'm really scare that they will bully my reds, if so I will fry them on a pan lol.. so I dont want to risk it... 11-12 + my reds dont know if they fit inside my tank in the long time...

I live in Tuscany near the leaning tower of Pisa so in winter I reach 3-4.C outside and 18C inside my house

Here

quote: "Goldfish also produce lots of waste that could potentially be hazardous to the Odessa Barb."

quote: "Due to the active nature of the Odessa Barb, they can work up quite the appetite. These fish should be fed two to three times a day."

also dont think I have the space for 10-12 :rolleyes: because they grow 4 inches

Yes, goldfish do produce considerable waste, which i one reason they are recommended to not be combined with "tropical" species. This is not only an issue for Odessa Barbs, but any other species.

I still disagree on feeding fish so much, far more than they need. Active, yes, provided they have a good-sized tank with length the important measurement. But they will not be as needful of food as they would in the habitat. They are using less energy in an aquarium. Fish are healthier when they are "hungry" rather than being overfed. But your tank is limoited as you say, so this is not a suitable fish.

I would disagree with some of the "information" on the linked site...a 30g tank is no where near adequate for Odessa Barbs. A standard 4-foot 55g is more realistic, with a group of 12-15 of the Odessa.

Yes, goldfish do produce considerable waste, which i one reason they are recommended to not be combined with "tropical" species. This is not only an issue for Odessa Barbs, but any other species.

I still disagree on feeding fish so much, far more than they need. Active, yes, provided they have a good-sized tank with length the important measurement. But they will not be as needful of food as they would in the habitat. They are using less energy in an aquarium. Fish are healthier when they are "hungry" rather than being overfed. But your tank is limoited as you say, so this is not a suitable fish.

I would disagree with some of the "information" on the linked site...a 30g tank is no where near adequate for Odessa Barbs. A standard 4-foot 55g is more realistic, with a group of 12-15 of the Odessa.
Hi Byron
I also found those the Blue Amur region China

Max Size: 6-8 cm (2.4 – 3.4″)
Best pH: 6.5 – 7.5
Ideal Temps: 59-82.4°F Ideal for breeding (15 -28 °C) Water Hardness: 6-10 °

Quote: "The ideal aquarium setup is at least 30 gallons in size, aquascaped liberally with plants (either real or plastic), rocks with plenty of hiding places, and gravel or sand for a substrate. Taiwanese Bitterling are shoaling fish that enjoy being kept in groups of 6 or more individuals." ( I'm going for 6 )

peacefull fish, is known to tolerate cold temperatures and can be a great fish for controlling pond algae ^^

what you guys think ?

Taiwanese-Bitterling-2_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
There isn't much information on Paracheilognathus himantegus out there, most of what there is comes from retailers rather than 'scientific' sites. For example

There isn't much information on Paracheilognathus himantegus out there, most of what there is comes from retailers rather than 'scientific' sites. For example
Yes not much info..I found other info from a retailer also here

https://www.qualitymarine.com/news/a-schooling-fish-for-the-aquarium-and-pond/

Last edited:
Update on my tank!
I set-up a wood and more plants, I later found out the anubias should not stay on direct light.. I wanted to cover the wood with Anubias, Is It wrong ? Or its fine ? Should I move them from the top ?
IMG-20220514-WA0030.jpg
IMG-20220514-WA0028.jpg
IMG-20220514-WA0029.jpg
IMG-20220514-WA0027.jpg

Looks great :) Your anubias should be fine as long as you dont have really bright lights (by which I mean the high end aquascaping lights). If it does become an issue though you could always get some floating plants which would help.

Wills

Sembra fantastico :) Le tue anubias dovrebbero andare bene fintanto che non hai luci davvero luminose (con il che intendo le luci di aquascaping di fascia alta). Se diventa un problema, potresti sempre ottenere delle piante galleggianti che aiuterebbero.

testamenti
2 T5 neon 6500k 24w, Tomorrow they will be on for about 5 hours and 30 min

2 T5 neon 6500k 24w, Tomorrow they will be on for about 5 hours and 30 min
Are they tubes or LEDs? They are good but dont think too high to cause an issue.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Back