New Tank Options

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

argoma

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So i went to the pet store today and i saw a tank there, now i'm thinking of wich would be better for my bettas.

Option one:

DIY 8,5 Gallon cubic shape tank.
Acrylic tank that i would make myself with the help of my dad. I wouldn't have a proper lid, just a piece of acrylic over the tank.
The money i would have to invest would be in all the tank things to put in it and in the silicon to glue the acrylic. Since i already have the acrylic,
Price of the tank: 5€ (for the silicon)

I would have to buy:

Heater
Filter
Light
Substrat
Live Plants
Drift wood or caves
Divider

Total price: around 150€

Option two:

13 Gallon long tank. (the woman from the shop said it was 50L, i dont think it holds that much tho)
Glass tank that i would have to buy in the pet store. Includes a lid with light and a heater.
Price: 116€

I would have to buy:

Filter
Substrat
Live Plants
Drift wood or caves
Divider

Total price: over 150€ and under 200€

Option three:

10,5 Gallon tall tank.
Glass tank that i would buy also at the pet store. Includes a lid, a filter, gravel, plastic plants and rocks.
Price: 60€

I would have to buy:

Heater
Light
Substrat
Live Plants
Drift wood or caves
Divider

Total price: a little over 150€

If i get the 13 gallon, i would ask my parents for it as christmas present and all the other things i would buy myself with the money family gives in christmas.
If i make the 8,5 gallon, it wouldnt have a proper lid because they dont make lids by measure where i live.
If i ask for the 10,5 gallon, i would ask my parents for everything as christmas present.
Which would be best for two male bettas?

The costs seem rather steep for tanks of those size. Are you looking to buy any of the equipment second hand and plants from hobbyists? Play sand for stubstrate?

The (pretty obvious to me) answer is the 13 gallon as IME, Bettas should have at least 30*30*30 cm per fish and ideally more. The tall tank would be unsuitable because it is tall.

KittyKat said:
The costs seem rather steep for tanks of those size. Are you looking to buy any of the equipment second hand and plants from hobbyists? Play sand for stubstrate?

The (pretty obvious to me) answer is the 13 gallon as IME, Bettas should have at least 30*30*30 cm per fish and ideally more. The tall tank would be unsuitable because it is tall.

Tanks are extremely expensive here.. a 5 gallon costs about 50€.
I'm buying everything new and plants from the petstore. Yes, dark sand as substrate.

The tall tank is about 40cm tall, just not very wide.

I would make sure the divider is a solid color as we had a betta that would fight himself in the mirror a lot and ended up dying very soon afterwards. We now make sure that they don't get the option.
JavaJinx

If you don't mind me asking, why are you going for everything new if it's that expensive? And plants too? Why not make the tank yourself out of glass?

try doing a DIY tank. There are lots of ways to make a tank cheaper than that in your LFS. All you need is 6 or so glass panels and silicon. There are many videos on youtube on how to do it

KittyKat said:
If you don't mind me asking, why are you going for everything new if it's that expensive? And plants too? Why not make the tank yourself out of glass?

DerpPH said:
try doing a DIY tank. There are lots of ways to make a tank cheaper than that in your LFS. All you need is 6 or so glass panels and silicon. There are many videos on youtube on how to do it

I only have acrylic and it wouldnt have a lid

argoma said:

DerpPH said:

I only have acrylic and it wouldnt have a lid

Then buy glass panels. They are quite cheap. So is silicon glue

Can I make a suggestion? If you have a local or online trading post, have a look for secondhand tanks and equipment like heaters. There are always people buying aquarium setups and then deciding it's all too hard and selling top notch gear for a song.

That's how I bought Nigel's 25L tank, it was $50 and came with the heater, accessories, light etc.
I just picked up a 1 metre tank from down the road with light and heater, lids, gravel and so on for $150.

Meeresstille said:

tunagirll said:
Can I make a suggestion? If you have a local or online trading post, have a look for secondhand tanks and equipment like heaters. There are always people buying aquarium setups and then deciding it's all too hard and selling top notch gear for a song.

That's how I bought Nigel's 25L tank, it was $50 and came with the heater, accessories, light etc.
I just picked up a 1 metre tank from down the road with light and heater, lids, gravel and so on for $150.

Well thank you both for the suggestion. I was thinking about that today, buyingth equipment second hand. We dont have stores that sell second hand stuff like aquarium setups here but i can search those websites, which i dont know how you found in Canada but thank you very much, and see if there's a good setup for a much better price. What equipment should i be looking for for a betta tank except fro heaters?

I found this in one of these websites, would it be a good buy?

tunagirll said:
The tank looks a little large for your betta, but check this one out - might be a good buy depending on what the filter and heater are like

http://www.custojusto.pt/Castelo+Branco/Acessorios-animais/Acessorios+para+aquario-10043502.htm?xtcr=18&

I wanted a tank as large as i could afford because then want to get other kind of fish, tank mates if he can handle them and when he passes away, maybe try a sorority or other fish that need to be together in "schools" or wtv you call them.

argoma said:
I found this in one of these websites, would it be a good buy?

If you're planning to divide it, then it's ideal! Even if you're not dividing it and have the space for it, then I'd go for it even if it is a little large for "just a Betta" because as you say, larger tanks give you many more stocking options just because of the footprint of the tank (which is why the "tall" tank option was not suitable).

Most reactions

trending

Back