FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tris

Reaction score
I currently have

8 Blue Neon Tetra's
3 Blue Platies
1 Black Neon Tetra

There was 3 Black neon tetra's this afternoon but on looking inside tonight to my horror 2 of them had just 1 eye! Is this an injury from the other fish in the tank? Is it more likely to be the other Black neon's or the Platies? I havent seen any hostile activity in the tank.

After their injury's I isolated them in a smaller tank and they lost their colour very quickly and started to swim on one side. :(

Are these species ok to mix I was under the impression its ok to mix them as they are all very peaceful. Any advice welcome.

Cheers guys

Is eating each others eyes a normal injury in tropical tanks?

My guess would be the platies have done it...i had a few problems when i used to keep them...i very much doubt that neons would do that to each other. My suggestion would be ditch the platies for something else thst wont attack the peaceful neons.

IME platys are peacefull fish they dont even touch the baby shrimp in my tank
are you sure its not an infection that the black neons have

when did you introduce them to the tank and did you quarentine them before hand

what are your water stats for ammonia etc and what size is the tank?

Platys can be very nippy...my guess would be the platys, as well...

IME platys are peacefull fish they dont even touch the baby shrimp in my tank
are you sure its not an infection that the black neons have

when did you introduce them to the tank and did you quarentine them before hand

what are your water stats for ammonia etc and what size is the tank?

Dont think it was an infection as I only bought them yesterday morning, then several hrs later noticed that 2 of them had 1 eye :( I didnt think it would be the other Neons. I left the remaining Black neon overnight alone in the tank with the others & he is fine this morning. :unsure:

As they are schooling fish dont really want to keep him alone, is it possible he attacked the other 2 black neons?

Tank size is 2ftx1ftx1ft

Will post water stats later today

Just tested the water I have a Tetratest 5:1 kit

No3: 0
No2: 0
GH 0
KH 0
PH 6.8

Also bit of a murder mystery going on.. 1 of the Tetra's are MIA!!

Found out who was to blame. Sat watching the fish for some time today and it was the remaining Black Neon Tetra, He was quite aggressive to the others so I have seperated him from the rest now. Otherwise all quiet now : )

Welcome to the forum Tris.
You will want to get a liquid type test kit. I understand you have found the problem this time, but the test strips are not very reliable.
If the tank has just been set up, you will be going through a fish in cycle and will need to be able to get daily reliable test results on ammonia and nitrites to keep the tank's water parameters under control. There is a link in my signature area that will let you understand better what you are up against with a fish-in cycle.

Good read, cheers for the info. Will look at getting a API Fresh Water Master Test Kit asap and continue checking levels

My palty is in with 3 black neons and 3 wcmms and its the most peacful tank i have ever had

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back