New Tank Build?

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

get whichever Corydoras you like. They are all kept the same, it's just a personal preference as to which one you want to keep.
Ok, sounds good. I just don't want anything that gets too big and I like the looks of the Sturbai and Juliis. I also want something that is resilient as I am a beginner. I tried to pick all hearty species to help if I make any unfortunate mistakes(I'm going to try my best to be careful though).

So, here is the revised roster...

Do you still think the Bristlenose is needed/a good idea?

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220721-120036_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220721-120036_Chrome.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 22
  • SmartSelect_20220721-120242_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220721-120242_Chrome.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 26
A bristlenose catfish is fine with them, if you don't want one don't get one but they do help remove algae from plants and glass. Shrimp can also pick up algae and uneaten food. And if you want a different type of algae eating catfish, there are Peckoltias that look similar to the bristlenose but have different colours and markings.

Ok, sounds good. I just don't want anything that gets too big and I like the looks of the Sturbai and Juliis. I also want something that is resilient as I am a beginner. I tried to pick all hearty species to help if I make any unfortunate mistakes(I'm going to try my best to be careful though).
Really good advice in here from Colin but have to admit I've not heard the advice about the fertiliser before? I use the Tropica all in one without phospate and nitrate and not had issue over the last 2 years, I do 50% every 5-10 days (meant to be weekly but life gets in the way a day or so sometimes).

Just wanted to flag on your comments here, the fish you have listed are common but not necessarily hardier than other species and if you keep them well (which with the forums help you will :) ) they will be with you for a few years. So just make sure you are making the choices because you want them and not because you feel like you should. I'm not saying dive straight into something like Discus or Tropheus which can be hard to keep but don't feel limited because this is your first tank.

Wills

A bristlenose catfish is fine with them, if you don't want one don't get one but they do help remove algae from plants and glass. Shrimp can also pick up algae and uneaten food. And if you want a different type of algae eating catfish, there are Peckoltias that look similar to the bristlenose but have different colours and markings.
Ok, thanks for the info and suggestions👍.

Really good advice in here from Colin but have to admit I've not heard the advice about the fertiliser before? I use the Tropica all in one without phospate and nitrate and not had issue over the last 2 years, I do 50% every 5-10 days (meant to be weekly but life gets in the way a day or so sometimes).

Just wanted to flag on your comments here, the fish you have listed are common but not necessarily hardier than other species and if you keep them well (which with the forums help you will :) ) they will be with you for a few years. So just make sure you are making the choices because you want them and not because you feel like you should. I'm not saying dive straight into something like Discus or Tropheus which can be hard to keep but don't feel limited because this is your first tank.

Wills
Hi Wills, nice to meet you and thanks for the reply👍.

Good to know. What size tank?

Roger. Luckily I really like these picks anyway. I started by selecting a bunch of fish I liked the look of and it just so happens that most of them are in the easy to care for/resilient category as well as compatible tank mates.

Thanks again.

Hi Wills, nice to meet you and thanks for the reply👍.

Good to know. What size tank?

Roger. Luckily I really like these picks anyway. I started by selecting a bunch of fish I liked the look of and it just so happens that most of them are in the easy to care for/resilient category as well as compatible tank mates.

Thanks again.
Thats good :) I just know in the past I've kept fish because I thought that was the right level for me but once you've worked out the nitrogen cycle, proper maintenance and understand water hardness most fish are as 'easy' as any.

I have a 100 litre and a 30 litre set up at the moment :)

Wills

Thats good :) I just know in the past I've kept fish because I thought that was the right level for me but once you've worked out the nitrogen cycle, proper maintenance and understand water hardness most fish are as 'easy' as any.

I have a 100 litre and a 30 litre set up at the moment :)

Wills
Yeah, I got lucky really for the most part with my picks lol. I totally understand as I've done the same in the past with other hobbies. I was a little overwhelmed at first with fish keeping(I was kind of thrown into it as I volunteered to rescue a Betta from a relative with worsening medical issues and became a fish keeper literally later that day with no time to prepare) but, I am starting to see exactly what you are saying. It can be quite the rabbit hole of a hobby but, at the same time a lot of it is just understanding water chemistry and keeping up with routine maintenance. I have a pretty good handle on keeping this unplanted Betta tank now and Chester is doing great(I mistakenly built the setup on day 1 forcing a fish in cycle😔) and am really enjoying the hobby. I look forward to getting a more advanced setup to care for...

Nice. Are you into planted, unplanted, or both?

Thanks again for your help and words of encouragement👍.

Yeah, I got lucky really for the most part with my picks lol. I totally understand as I've done the same in the past with other hobbies. I was a little overwhelmed at first with fish keeping(I was kind of thrown into it as I volunteered to rescue a Betta from a relative with worsening medical issues and became a fish keeper literally later that day with no time to prepare) but, I am starting to see exactly what you are saying. It can be quite the rabbit hole of a hobby but, at the same time a lot of it is just understanding water chemistry and keeping up with routine maintenance. I have a pretty good handle on keeping this unplanted Betta tank now and Chester is doing great(I mistakenly built the setup on day 1 forcing a fish in cycle😔) and am really enjoying the hobby. I look forward to getting a more advanced setup to care for...

Nice. Are you into planted, unplanted, or both?

Thanks again for your help and words of encouragement👍.

Yes very much a rabbit hole lol, I've never had more than one tank before and on my second now, likely to get an other small tank set up in the next few months and hopefully a 400 litre by Christmas :)

Both my tanks now are planted - the links in my signature (on desktop) are the journals for the tanks. The 30 litre is only about a month old I think? The 100 litre is a bit over 2 years now though, it was nicely planted but had an outbreak of Ramshorn Snails and they have eaten all my dwarf sag :(

Wills

Yes very much a rabbit hole lol, I've never had more than one tank before and on my second now, likely to get an other small tank set up in the next few months and hopefully a 400 litre by Christmas :)

Both my tanks now are planted - the links in my signature (on desktop) are the journals for the tanks. The 30 litre is only about a month old I think? The 100 litre is a bit over 2 years now though, it was nicely planted but had an outbreak of Ramshorn Snails and they have eaten all my dwarf sag :(

Wills
Sure is, I am planning my second and third tanks right now lol(I already had one of them in storage though from my lizard keeping days). That will be it though as I don't want to care for anymore then that. The third is also mainly going to be for quarantining fish and quarantining and propagating plants. It will likely get built toward next spring though after my community tank is done. Hopefully you post about your builds too as I am interested👍.

Nice! I can't wait to get into planted. Now that I have this unplanted 3 gallon running smoothly I am finding it too east to maintain lol. I want more to take care of😁. This will be my first and only unplanted tank. I will never buy another artificial decoration or plant...

Well, it's decided... I am no longer going with a rimmed tank.

After plenty of research and thought I have decided although they are harder to find and more expensive, I much prefer European aquascape style rimless tanks with glass lily pipes and as little in the tank as possible. So, I am not sure what yet, but I will be going with this style. I'm still going to stay in the 33-50 gallon range and use the parts listed in the OP. Also, nothing but 2 glass lily pipes and maybe an air stone or concealed spounge filter is going in the tank. The canister filter, heater, UV filter, all temperature controllers and timers, and eventually inline CO2 injection, will be installed under the tank in a cabinet. All lines will be glass, acrylic, or clear PVC to keep the setup as clean as possible.

Now, I just need to decide if I want to build myself or go with a premade option like ADA, UNS, Waterbox, etc. I have a limited budget so I will be getting prices from a glass shop and exploring all options. Suggestions are welcome...

Last edited:
Also, I am still going to use an all in one fertilizer to start the tank(likely NilocG) and begin learning but, I will also be buying a full selection of powdered Macro/Micro/Trace elements to start micro managing my nutrients based on plant growth and water chemistry as well as mixing my own fertilizer blend. Thank goodness I researched this as originally I planned to buy Seachem's overpriced and diluted line for 100 times the price...

On a side note, when I got into this hobby I thought Seachem was one of the best but, now I realize that they sell a lot of snake oilish and/or highly diluted liquid products, often with hard to find or non-existent ingredient lists, at inflated prices. Even there Tidal filters(actually made by Sicce) are a flawed design and a poor choice even when compared to the old school and cheaper products. I like Prime and a few of there other products and may continue to use some of them but, I think most people would be served better by other companies in general or just by buying the raw materials themselves and learning to use them. This is just my opinion of course but, it seams Seachem is more about making money off the backs of inexperienced or ignorant aquarists instead of actually caring about the hobby and/or the living things we keep. Its pretty sad really but, common in this hobby unfortunately from what I can deduce so far...

Alright, back to positive. Man, there are a lot of plant species and limited availability in my area, this research is going to take a while lol...

Edot: I was a little harsh and decide to make the post a touch more positive😁.

Last edited:
Full support for a rimless tank from me, only caveat is to try and get a lid. Either a glass or acrylic one or look at the D&D jump guard. Some people just drop the water level a bit but its too risky IMO. A big lush covering of floating plants could also be an option but not totally reliable as you could get problems with them failing or if you need to remove some.

Bit of a better safe than sorry thing but it does effect the rimless look of the tank. One tank I saw the other day I was impressed by was the Fluval Shaker range, the braces and cover glass is right at the surface of the tank, where as some other makes are lower down so its really ugly and a bit too visible.

If you want to keep everything in the cabinet rather than in the tank, make sure you check out the oase biomaster thermo filters - great bit of kit and keeps things together with the integrated heater. You can put an inline UV steriliser on the inlet pipe and if you do Co2 do an inline diffuser on the outlet that way everything is in the filter.

I can't comment on your ferts plan as I keep it simple with the Tropica all in one, been a good option for me and just keeps it easy for me.

In terms of which brand to go for ADA far and away is the most expensive, a true luxury product but unjustifiable for me. UNS is probably the cheapest - but still very good. Waterboxes are great but a bit more than UNS, an other brand to check out is WIO, they are not the cheapest but very good! I love the Wio stands too, really simple and utilitarian but still stylish. DIY rimless tanks would take a good bit of bravery lol as it is a bit of an art, I don't have the skills to make any kind of aquarium but if you do I'd make something braced to start with and remember rimless tanks need thicker glass.

Wills

Full support for a rimless tank from me, only caveat is to try and get a lid. Either a glass or acrylic one or look at the D&D jump guard. Some people just drop the water level a bit but its too risky IMO. A big lush covering of floating plants could also be an option but not totally reliable as you could get problems with them failing or if you need to remove some.

Bit of a better safe than sorry thing but it does effect the rimless look of the tank. One tank I saw the other day I was impressed by was the Fluval Shaker range, the braces and cover glass is right at the surface of the tank, where as some other makes are lower down so its really ugly and a bit too visible.

If you want to keep everything in the cabinet rather than in the tank, make sure you check out the oase biomaster thermo filters - great bit of kit and keeps things together with the integrated heater. You can put an inline UV steriliser on the inlet pipe and if you do Co2 do an inline diffuser on the outlet that way everything is in the filter.

I can't comment on your ferts plan as I keep it simple with the Tropica all in one, been a good option for me and just keeps it easy for me.

In terms of which brand to go for ADA far and away is the most expensive, a true luxury product but unjustifiable for me. UNS is probably the cheapest - but still very good. Waterboxes are great but a bit more than UNS, an other brand to check out is WIO, they are not the cheapest but very good! I love the Wio stands too, really simple and utilitarian but still stylish. DIY rimless tanks would take a good bit of bravery lol as it is a bit of an art, I don't have the skills to make any kind of aquarium but if you do I'd make something braced to start with and remember rimless tanks need thicker glass.

Wills
Yes, I have been considering a lid to at least put on when I am not in the room. I can probably have the local glass shop cut me one or just get the D&D like you suggested. How much risk of a jump out do you think there is with the species I have chosen? Could I replace anything with another species to lower the risk? I will be doing floating plants but, only planned to cover maybe 1/3rd of the surface due to the centerpiece fish I chose being a labarynth fish(Honey Gourami).

Yes, it definitely affects the look of the tank as you can no longer see down into it(one of the biggest advantages) and it also can hurt the lights efficiency. The upsides are plentiful too however(fish jump prevention, dust, lint and pet hair guard, much less evaporation, etc.) so I am really going to have to think about this. I will look into that Fluval, thanks👍.

Yes, the Biomaster Thermal 250 and 350 are already on my short list. I am in Canada though so Fluval is definitely the better option for price, availability, and any warranty issues. That said, I still may cave and get an Oase. I love the built in heater but, there are several inline heaters available on the market and it is pretty easy to build a DIY one for test tube style like the Eheims. Still weighing the pros and cons of each path... Time will tell...

Yes, I will keep it simple too at first with an all in one. But, I will learn to use individual nutrients too as every tank is different and you can get better results by micromanaging particularily the macros(NPK) to suit your particular tank. An all in one means you get the same macros every dose even if you don't need any Nitrogen for instance. Or, if you have an iron deficiency you have to either overdose the other macros to fix it or buy an iron booster anyway. Powdered raw fertilizer is also way, way cheaper then premade products(even if you go with an aquarium companies pre-packaged option) and you can mix your own all in one blend yourself that perfectly matches your particular tanks requirements. I also like to make things complicated as that is half the fun in complicated hobbies to me lol.

Yes, I would definitely love to own one of Takashi Amanos tanks(the dream tank) but, they are pricey and my budget is limited at present time. But, I'm looking into all options. I will check out WIO too, thanks. As for home built, I have never built a tank but, I am a skilled tradesman(in several fields including cabinet making and working with glass tile) with over 25 years of experience so, I think it would be a piece of cake. That said, it is still risky doing anything the first time and I will likely buy the tank premade at least as the thought of 50 gallons of water in my living room is not very appealing lol. If I do attempt it, roger on the glass thickness(most tanks in this size use 10mm).

Thanks for all of your help Wills👍.

Yes, I have been considering a lid to at least put on when I am not in the room. I can probably have the local glass shop cut me one or just get the D&D like you suggested. How much risk of a jump out do you think there is with the species I have chosen? Could I replace anything with another species to lower the risk? I will be doing floating plants but, only planned to cover maybe 1/3rd of the surface due to the centerpiece fish I chose being a labarynth fish(Honey Gourami).

Yes, it definitely affects the look of the tank as you can no longer see down into it(one of the biggest advantages) and it also can hurt the lights efficiency. The upsides are plentiful too however(fish jump prevention, dust, lint and pet hair guard, much less evaporation, etc.) so I am really going to have to think about this. I will look into that Fluval, thanks👍.

Yes, the Biomaster Thermal 250 and 350 are already on my short list. I am in Canada though so Fluval is definitely the better option for price, availability, and any warranty issues. That said, I still may cave and get an Oase. I love the built in heater but, there are several inline heaters available on the market and it is pretty easy to build a DIY one for test tube style like the Eheims. Still weighing the pros and cons of each path... Time will tell...

Yes, I will keep it simple too at first with an all in one. But, I will learn to use individual nutrients too as every tank is different and you can get better results by micromanaging particularily the macros(NPK) to suit your particular tank. An all in one means you get the same macros every dose even if you don't need any Nitrogen for instance. Or, if you have an iron deficiency you have to either overdose the other macros to fix it or buy an iron booster anyway. Powdered raw fertilizer is also way, way cheaper then premade products(even if you go with an aquarium companies pre-packaged option) and you can mix your own all in one blend yourself that perfectly matches your particular tanks requirements. I also like to make things complicated as that is half the fun in complicated hobbies to me lol.

Yes, I would definitely love to own one of Takashi Amanos tanks(the dream tank) but, they are pricey and my budget is limited at present time. But, I'm looking into all options. I will check out WIO too, thanks. As for home built, I have never built a tank but, I am a skilled tradesman(in several fields including cabinet making and working with glass tile) with over 25 years of experience so, I think it would be a piece of cake. That said, it is still risky doing anything the first time and I will likely buy the tank premade at least as the thought of 50 gallons of water in my living room is not very appealing lol. If I do attempt it, roger on the glass thickness(most tanks in this size use 10mm).

Thanks for all of your help Wills👍.
That all sounds great :) I think all fish are a jump risk, the only fish I lost from jumping was a puffer fish which had little reputation for this. Immediately got the lid after that, I got the jump guard which is great just need to be intelligent on how you build it with space for pipes and a gap for feeding but you can get a feeding portal, which I want to add. I'm going to reshape mine soon as I grow riparian plants and I want to increase this soon so need to trim some width off it.

An other advantage of the mesh lids is you don't loose the PAR from the lights and some of the other negatives you mentioned from a glass or acrylic and you can get different mesh to make it more invisible. I have the standard black mesh now but I might try and change this for a clear one with a really fine thread so it goes a bit more invisible. Then its just the black frame around the edge which is fine really. One thing I am going to do is make a bit of a modification and cut the side lengths in half and secure it with some tape so I have a flap on the lid essentially, that way I can open it without taking the whole thing off.

Wills

Most reactions

Back