New snail eating new plant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Skyelar Lattimore

Reaction score
i just got a new tank today along with a good mystery snail and a Crypt plant. I just noticed the snail eating my plant. I read that they only eat dying plants so does that mean my plant is already dying? I donā€™t want it to get eaten. I took a video but it wonā€™t let me post it on here. I saw the plant going up and down from where his/her (how do you tell?) mouth is so Iā€™m pretty sure it was being eaten. It didnā€™t appear to have already been detached from the plant beforehand.

I also am unsure how to give it nutrients since I bought regular aquarium gravel. Would any bottle nutrients hurt the fish and frogs Iā€™ll be adding over time?

Attachments

• E67E1898-4B1D-453E-90CB-182152946B8A.jpeg
    E67E1898-4B1D-453E-90CB-182152946B8A.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 165
maybe give the snail some blanched cucumber to munch on...remove uneaten cucumber after several hours

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Snails will eat algae, plant, fish food and dead fish. They eat anything and if the snail is hungry, it will graze on plant leaves.

The plant looks fine. If it has any soft leaves or stems that are losing colour, they are dying and should be carefully picked off the plant. Use a clean sharp pr of scissors for that.

--------------------------
I also am unsure how to give it nutrients since I bought regular aquarium gravel. Would any bottle nutrients hurt the fish and frogs Iā€™ll be adding over time?
What nutrients do you want to add and for what purpose?

--------------------------
Don't keep frogs and fish together. If the fish get sick, the diseases can spread to the frogs. And most fish medications will kill frogs. Frogs will also eat fish, snails, shrimp and anything that moves in the tank.

If you want frogs, get a separate tank for them and keep them separate from fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back