New Skimmer Problem...

cant you send it back and say it was like that?

I'm usually up for pushing boundaries, but it's a bit unfair really. If I did it in the first 7 working days so I could do it via DSR I might have considered it, but now I've glued it... they most likely wouldn't accept it, even if I still suggested it was already broken and tried to fix it. I've had it for over a month now as I bought it whilst I was waiting for the tank and getting other parts in).

cant you send it back and say it was like that?

I'm usually up for pushing boundaries, but it's a bit unfair really. If I did it in the first 7 working days so I could do it via DSR I might have considered it, but now I've glued it... they most likely wouldn't accept it, even if I still suggested it was already broken and tried to fix it. I've had it for over a month now as I bought it whilst I was waiting for the tank and getting other parts in).

fair enough, prob a step too far

Okay - the other day I finally got some aquatic silicone.

I put some on the cracked area, and rubbed it in with my finger, wiped off the excess, then repeat. Once set for a day, I cut as much off on the surface as I can leaving a thin film of silicone.

Just because of that silicone, the cup doesn't sit on properly. So I took as much off as I could hoping that what was left was inside the cracks.

Still doesn't sit on fully as cannot remove the silicone entirely, though - when testing it I find that the cracks in my initial repair aren't leaking, it's just the water seeping in between the connecting parts. :/

So I give up, it's better than it was it seems - but I will just have to live with water sitting on the skimmer body, at least my skimmer is in the sump.

Got the skimmer installed, checked the pump, etc working... plumbed it all in which is awkward as the space is really limited and I have my pump at the back of the sump (if the skimmer was at the back it would make it awkward later to get the cup off and the sockets behind).

Turned it on - pump didn't start. Grrrr.

Pulled it all out, pump worked. Put pump back into position, checked it: working. Put on first pipe, checked it: working. Put on elbow into skimmer, checked it: working. Put skimmer output and airline on the pump, checked it: Stopped working.

Repeat this pattern a few more times (sometimes I would stop working sooner).

So, I got the pump out and stripped it down to find that the impeller was compromised by something. Something white and rock hard (looks like plastic itself) was on one of the impeller pieces and the mesh is messed up and completely spaced on one side.

For now, I removed the white thing crud, tried to tidy up the mesh and it seems to be working now - but I am not sure if I should trust this in it's current state?

Currently running now, with the collar on, and the flow tap fully closed, it's already pulling out dirty stuff, can't tell how "non wet" it is yet as I accidentally flooded the cup.

(Silencer is still being noisy too!)

%$&$(%£%£$$££!!! :< :< :< :< :< :<

Decided to empty the skimmer cup so I could get a better picture of how thick the output is.

Plonked empty cup on skimmer

Turned on

Ruddy pump isn't starting up again! (But it's drawing power according to a power meter).

I really really don't feel like sorting it again tonight (for it to possibly go wrong), neither do I like the idea of having water sitting in the skimmer body stagnant.

:/

Impeller mesh is jamming the motor.

Only managed to try calling the retailer a few times today and the phone was engaged, neither do they have email contact.

Emailed AquaMedic UK to get their take on it.

I could just buy a new Impeller kit, ~£22 - although I don't see why I should foot this cost :/

In a bit I'm going to remove the skimmer from the sump so the water inside can continue to circulate the system.

AM sent me a new impeller the other day, only just installed it today.

It's loud :( no idea why, but it's much louder than it was before. Pump isn't contacting glass, cable isn't causing it either, the rubber bushings are all in place (and the correct order), and there isn't any air trapped inside (obviously, where there is supposed to be air, that is okay). Pump is sitting on it's rubber feet, although it is being held up slightly by "hanging" off the skimmer (and no, that isn't making vibrations). :p

My first impeller didn't even make this sound when it was working normally.

Any ideas/suggestions? I don't mean along the lines of putting foam under etc, as I feel this might have a problem, actually I will email AM now.

This is how my "old" one ended up (old on right, new on left)

AM asked me to return the part and they will replace it (again).

As it's "working" (just very loud) I want to keep it running so asked for an advanced replacement, which they agreed to and then told me it will be a few weeks until they had more in.

Lucky I asked really :/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back