New Skimmer Problem...

drsquirrel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I posted this as part of my journal, but want to go over it separate (and hopefully get some input).

Recently, I accidentally sat on top of my skimmer, a new and dry turboflotor blue 3000. The collection cup was on top and the extention collar in place, and it snapped a bit of the part that connects the two together on the collection cut itself.

Here...

Since the extention collar is only if your foam is too high, I am trying to run this without the collar first... so I've super glued the bits back into place, everything fits perfectly.

I then installed the skimmer in the sump.

Instructions says it can take a few hours for the bubbles/foam to produce properly (yes I have my air line on) but no more than 24 hours. 24 hours later the bubbles are still not high enough so I close off the control and I can make them rise above the top but they're way too small and just fills up with water.

Currently though even with the control now fully open (water level lowest) the collection cup ends up filling with water after a few minutes after starting..

The water level at first was a bit high in the sump, but I have now drained it to it's proper level (the lowest in that chamber due to the baffle).

Secondly, I am getting some water on the top of the skimmer (below the cup)... my repair is flawless so I don't know why water is getting here, i'd assume it shouldn't because this skimmer can run hung on the back and having water here wouldn't be good!

The water isn't overflowing over the top as it was appearing there before the cup started to fill, and the overflow of the cup goes back down the way it came in.

And yes... I do have the air intake on the pump installed :p

Suggestions/ideas?

I have no control on the air intake (it doesn't come with one, neither do the instructions mention one).

All I have is the air pipe with silencer.

If I cover it, the densitiy of bubbles leaving the pump drops, and the "foam" level drops too at first, then water flows into the cup.

You could do with an adjustable airline valve on the airline so you can adjust the amount of air going in.

Some skimmers can take quite awhile to bed in. Mine sometimes need to be adjusted as well as the foam level either drops or it over flows.

I have a few valves, so I will stick one on and have a play... though if too much water is going in, how will less air help? I assume there isn't too much water flow as it's the pump that came with the unit (2500).

Instructions says no more than 24 hours, although it's been going for 48 now. I stop it every so often to empty the cup, not that it overflows, but just to see what it's doing.

So ignoring instructions, about how long is too long? Considering this is running durning my initial cycle, I didn't intend to run it, although I don't want to wait until it's complete to find the skimmer isn't working, hence why running it now, to test it.

Is this the one?

http://www.aqua-medic.de/en/service/pdfs/Turboflotor%20Blue%203000%20_410.05_%20neu.pdf

Have you adjusted the flow tap?

Seffie x

Yes and yes.

By saying "control now fully open" I meant what you are refering to, the "flow regulator" #5 as per exploded diagram (and instructions).

:)

The air silencer at first was quiet, but now it whistles a bit, which might indicate too much air, I will try a valve to cut it off and leave it a while, my manual attempts didn't do much on their own so didn't go down that line further.

I'm going to raise the pump up a bit, it isn't that deep really but depth will affect air pressure of course, just don't want to cut the pipe to find it's something else and now I need/want a longer pipe.

The neck is either on, or off.

The neck (I called it collar above) at first stopped the water flooding initially but no foam, though it just flooded the cup again after a while anyway.

As Ben said try moving the skimmer body up in the water to reduce the water level in it. I have to do this with my skimmer (it sits on an upside down tuppaware container that has holes drilled in it to stop air building up in it).

Also if you are going through the initial cycle on your tank it could be there isnt enough in the tank to actually skim anything yet.

Also if you are going through the initial cycle on your tank it could be there isnt enough in the tank to actually skim anything yet.

Aye sorry, that's why I mentioned it (a bit late though) because I thought it might partially be this.

I'm going to leave it off (it generally best right?) for now, though going to empty it so water doesn't sit inside stagnant.

Any idea on the water on the top? Possible water leak because of the break? It does the same with the collar/neck which would have a better chance at sealing (I will test it manually when I get a chance).

Pulled out a very slight amount of darker stuff, still basically water, but at least the foam isn't piling over, would take about half a day to fill with water, although this is a bit annoying as I don't want to pour this slightly dirty water back into the sump neither do I keep wanting to empty the thing, so going to take the skimmer out so I don't have to circulate the water.

Still getting loads of water on the top of the skimmer body below the neck, must be a leak in the crack :(

That would be about right on a new tank and also whilst the skimmer is bedding in :good: it will get dryer

Could you silicone the crack?

Seffie x

Pssst, while nobody is listening, I dropped my brand new deltec mce 600 on the floor before it even reached my tank, I had to do a super glue job on it as well :blush:

I'm going to force silicone into it and then skim it off flush with a knife, anything protruding from the surface would stop the edge sitting on the skimmer body.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back