new plants what are they?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

StrontiumDog

Fish Addict
Reaction score
ok so I got my new tank by getting my partner involved worked a treat............................. then came the plants, oh that looks nice,ooh i like that one. :rolleyes:

My reply to her was i dont think they are true aquatic plants. :crazy:

so please help me out again (omg theres no begging smilies)

Attachments

• DSC00894.JPG
    DSC00894.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 56
I'm not gonna be much help either but I also have the second one in my tank and unless you have good lighting it wont grow and will soon be fish food.

I'm not sure what the first plant is, but I think it's semi-aquatic from what I remember (not 100% sure though)

i've never seen the first one before.. but i'm pretty sure the second one is only semi-aquatic... for terrariums and such. I saw some at my lfs, but i went home and read that they are semi aquatic... they might live for a while.. but they've been slowly dissenegrating in my lfs's tanks.
I read somewhere that if the plant can stand up out of water its not truly aquatic, so you might want to test your plants with that.

The first is the true aquatic African fern Bolbitis heudelotii. You should attach the rhizome to a stone or wood, it should not be buried or it will rot. In nature, it grows in high energy environments, in soft acidic water. It is not an easy plant to grow in other conditions, although if it does get going, it tend to go well.

The second looks like a Dracenae species, which, as has already been mentioned, is not a true aquatic and rarely survives long completely underwater.

That 2nd plant looks like a houseplant I used to have from the Dracaena family. They are not true aquatics but are sold as such if that's what it is. Lucky Bamboo that you see everywhere with their roots in water are from the same family. It will only last a few months under water.

Thanks all for your replies, I thought the 2nd one was not a true aquatic plant and i was sure the first one was to because the stem is so ridged.

Thanks Lateral i will remove the first plant out of my gravel and attach it to a big pebble. Must admit i like the little fellow, it's different.

I never wanted to hurt my partners fellings so hopefully some good will come of this.

Thanks all :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back