New plants to lower toxins

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hello. The vast majority of public water is fine for the vast majority of fish you'll get from the local fish store. So, there's no need to put anything into the tank water other than the standard treatment to remove the chemicals the public water people put into the tap water to make it safe to drink. Unless you're an experienced chemist, it's best not to get creative and try to change the chemistry of your tap water. Water keepers don't mess with chemicals. Just take a bit more time with the fish acclimation process. I don't think an hour spent to get our fish used to their new home is too much. Keep things simple and you'll be successful.

10 Tank (Now 11)

Hello. The vast majority of public water is fine for the vast majority of fish you'll get from the local fish store. So, there's no need to put anything into the tank water other than the standard treatment to remove the chemicals the public water people put into the tap water to make it safe to drink. Unless you're an experienced chemist, it's best not to get creative and try to change the chemistry of your tap water. Water keepers don't mess with chemicals. Just take a bit more time with the fish acclimation process. I don't think an hour spent to get our fish used to their new home is too much. Keep things simple and you'll be successful.

10 Tank (Now 11)
The OP is using well water, not public water. Well water can be too hard for fish; thus the need to know the numbers.

I've been looking for some limestone. Was told it will help.

Primary issues have not yet been addressed in this thread,and members are giving some advice that could be well off the mark.

The first thing you/we must know is the parameters of the source (tap) water you have. These are GH,KH (Alkalinity) and pH. These three are connected, and depending upon what they are, it may or may not be advisable or safe to start fiddling with limestone or whatever. We must know the source water parameters.

Second, what fish are you keeping or want to keep? African rift lake cichlids were noted in post #9. These fish are hard water species, they must have a GH, KH and pH that provides moderately hard or harder water. You may already have such water, but without the parameters none of us knows. Nor can we seriously provide beneficial advice.

The OP is using well water, not public water. Well water can be too hard for fish; thus the need to know the numbers.
Hello. Never used it myself. But, well water, as long as it's thoroughly tested for contaminants should be fine. Just treat it as you would tap water. Pick up a good Ph tester like the one from Extenuating Threads. Test the Ph about every month. Well water already has the good mineral content, so you should be good to go.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello. Never used it myself. But, well water, as long as it's thoroughly tested for contaminants should be fine. Just treat it as you would tap water. Pick up a good Ph tester like the one from Extenuating Threads. Test the Ph about every month. Well water already has the good mineral content, so you should be good to go.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
I don't completely understand why, but well water is often extremely hard, much harder than any tap water would be.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back