New Nerite Snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JemZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just picked up some nerite snails from Petco and have got them in a plastic bowl/container. I have them in the water they came in, spring water, and some tank water as well. Would it be okay to put them in after an hour or so? The containers aren't really suitable for keeping them in overnight. Also, any tips for picking them up without hurting them?

Last edited:
When I got my nerites, I just picked them up with my fingers...

they’re pretty hardy, and big enough to do so.

sounds like to have done enough to acclimate them.

be aware, they poop like crazy and if you have a female they will lay eggs all over the tank, might not happen at first, but they will eventually drop them everywhere

Would it be okay to put them in after an hour or so? The containers aren't really suitable for keeping them in overnight. Also, any tips for picking them up without hurting them?
Yes, assuming they are properly acclimated. Gently pick them up. Don’t try to yank them out. Small wiggles will suffice.

If it is a plastic cup, I usually just sink the cup and the snails leave it within about 30 minutes.

Yep, but I would suggest emptying the water from the source tank, don’t want to invite any nasties into the aquarium from another water source
Lol, yeah. I tend to have that as a given, but forget that not everyone knows not to put store water in your tanks.

I missed your guys posts but got them in last night. I did wiggle them until they let go, the smaller one was way easier than the larger one which took about 7 minutes to let go. All good right?

Well, they are both MIA this morning and I have no clue where they are. I checked the lid of one of the tanks and it's not there and the other one is an open-top tank. I checked around the tanks and it doesn't look like they escaped sp I can only assume they are hiding in the decor

If you have HOB's, check inside those, too....I had a nerite that INSISTED on living inside an HOB, rather than in my tank...lost a few that way too, they get stuck and can't get out to eat...also, make sure they are always upright on the substrate, they can't right themselves, like other snails

Didn't find either in their respective filter, but I did move a piece of decor in the small and found the smaller one in there.

I didn't know that about the nerites! I tried to pour out the water from the fish store into the container last night and as I did the big one fell into the container and landed on his shell. It made a loud noise and I was worried I damaged his shell but he was moving fine so I think he's ok.

If you have HOB's, check inside those, too....I had a nerite that INSISTED on living inside an HOB, rather than in my tank...lost a few that way too, they get stuck and can't get out to eat..

Didn't find either in their respective filter, but I did move a piece of decor in the small and found the smaller one in there.

I didn't know that about the nerites! I tried to pour out the water from the fish store into the container last night and as I did the big one fell into the container and landed on his shell. It made a loud noise and I was worried I damaged his shell but he was moving fine so I think he's ok.
He'll be fine, I've had them fall from the tank all the way to the floor...just glad I heard it when it happened, or would have never known

Nerites will get themselves into the tiniest spaces. I once needed to treat for whitespot (before I found out about the heat method) and just about all whitespot treatments kill snails. I found all but one nerite and I even took every piece of decor out of the tank and examined it. It had to take its chance with the medication. A couple of days later I found it crawling up the tank wall.

I have a long, thin wire stick which I use to flip nerites back the right way up. Sometimes I just can't flip them over so I push them against the tank wall or some decor then they have something to get hold of.

Found him (or her)!

IMG_20210220_112846505.jpg

Here's one of my goofballs, on the underside of the lid (lid is open)...I forget they do this, and sometimes when I open the lid, they fall back into the tank, but land upside down...I just use a bent wire coat-hanger to right them

Attachments

• Nerite.jpg
    Nerite.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 42

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back