The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

TERRYM

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm new to the hobby of keeping tropical fish and would appreciate any advice out there.
I have 2 Gourami's, one is a blood dwarf gourami , the other is a dwarf gourami with blue vertical stripes down it's body. The b.d.gourami is the sole survivor of a Aquarium 'accident' (flatmate turned up the thermostat) , and the blue striped one was introduced with the second batch of fish.
Initially the b.d.gourami fish bullied the striped fish, so he use to sit in a dark corner under the filter. In the last week or so the striped fish has reversed the bullying role , though to a lesser degree than when he was bullied.
The thing that is worrying me is that just over a week ago I noticed the Striped fish has developed a darkish blue colouring on its head and some of it's body . It's almost like deep bruising.
Has anyone ever come across this before, or does anyone know what might be causing this and how to treat his?

Many Thanks

Terry

Hi TERRYM and welcome to the forum. :hi:

Isn't it amazing that your gourami survived? They are wonderful fish. I suspect that his ability to breathe the air is what saved his life.

I have never heard of a fish being bruised as you describe. Does he appear to be well in other ways? Or does he seem injured? :unsure:

Perhaps this is part of his natural coloring that is developing. That seems strange, though. I have baby gouramies that seemed to have all their colors at a very tiny size.

How big is your tank? Does he have a way of escaping the other fish, if necessary, perhaps by hiding behind plants, etc.?

:lol:

Hi TERRYM,

I am new to this forum also and I find your story really bizarre, as I was in the same situation not so long ago. I have to warn you straight away, as in my case the things turned very ugly.

The developing sign you are talking about got bigger and bigger and I was told that this is a sign of a increasing aggressiveness. At the time I didnā€™t take any notice and didnā€™t think this is serious until the gourami with the developing sign ATE the other gourami almost in front of my eyes and I couldnā€™t do anything about it!!!! It was devastating!!! I donā€™t know what to suggest to you in this case. Good luck!

BillyBlowFish

:-(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back