New Job At Petsmart - Want Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mwood2

Fish Addict
Reaction score
well it seems I netted a job at Petsmart. I had the interview on Friday and since then have had a drug test and they contacted my current job to ask a question so its seems its pretty much mine. So as such I wanted to get some opinions. I want to know what most people want to hear, facts I should give out, etc.

I also plan to make myself a little handbook of the species kept there and include info for each fish since the cards with info they include isn't usually correct.

Sooo what would you like to hear from a pet store?

I'd like to hear that a fish tank needs to be cycled before adding fish (unless doing a fish in cycle) ... but then also what fish should be used for that

Never clean the filter sponges under tap water ... only old tank water

Those are just a couple of things I think are important that I was never told years ago when I used to keep fish :(

EDIT: Congratulations if you do in fact have the job :good:

the actual size of fish and not that a goldfish can live in a bowl

agreed on both of those, I planned to do that from the start. I have been explained fishless cycling many times to people. I also plan to use the 20 gallon for first goldfish and 10 gallons for every extra, Although first goldfish needs 30 usually. I know alot of the basics and plan to sell MANY test kits.

i did mywork experience in a fish shop. people tend to just want advice and then fish. as long as you have good fish knowledge things should be fine. it'll be great for costomers and they'll keep coming back if customer service is good.

All the advice so far is good.

Make sure people know the correct tank size for a betta - one gallon is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM. Two or three gallons is a comfortable size, and there is no reason whatsoever why a betta should not have a five gallon palace. You should make sure people who buy bettas to put in those tiny cups understand that it's cruel and they are reducing the lifespan and quality of life of their fish. You should also make sure people who buy bettas for communities know they cannot be kept with fin nippers (tetras or barbs), long flowing fins (guppies), or fast, dashing fish (danios). Or that you cannot keep male and female bettas in the same tank. EVER.

Tell them the correct level to stock their tank to, and explain to them that other pet stores will probably tell them they can put more fish in. Tell them that while it is possible to maintain an overstocked tank it takes more work (A LOT of work) and is not a good idea for a beginner to attempt.

Don't try to fix problems with broad spectrum medications. Broad spectrum = 'tip this in your tank when you don't know what's wrong to kill all the fish quick so you can start again'. They do have their uses but they are best used as alternative treatments for known conditions. Dispensing them whenever the 'fish are sick' doesn't work. Insist on clear descriptions, water samples and preferably photos.

The final thing and I would think the most important is educating the people you work with. Don't be pushy - just start conversations about this so that people who frequent your shop get consistent good advice.

I used to work at Petsmart until I found out that they wanted me to sell fish to people who have really small tanks. I was told by management that 3 oscars would live fine in a 55 gallon tank, and that I had to sell. I quit on the spot.

Congrats on the new job, Im sure you will do well. Just a quick questions, why did you have to have a drugs test? Is that normal in Canada?

I think as droobyb mentioned, it may be more a mater f what they will let you tell people. You would think they would want to give proper advice to people so as to get repeat business but....they are also in the business to make money. They don't make money off selling fish. Some maybe but that certainly isn't their big income producer. They make their money off equipment. So if they sell you a fish that's too large and you later learn that, they can now sell you a bigger tank.

In any case, I hope it works out. There was a Petsmart near where I used to work that had several very knowledgeable employees in the fish section. At least 2 had their own tanks and I did hear them give out good advice to people. It really depends on the store and the manager and what they will let you say and do.

Congratulations on the job and big respects for your attitude as to the advice you want to dish out.

A humble word of warning the correct advise i.e what's commonly taught on this forum will not be the most conducive with the advise of a large retailer that is interested in profit, profit and nothing but profit, so be careful around the other staff especially the management !

The only way that you can wholly win that battle is over a period of time your good advise gets a large number of repeat customers that your manager can accredit to you and your sage advise and at that time I hope you get the fruits of your labour good luck with it all :good:

Goldfish - their actual sizes ( 10-14 inches, sometimes more ) actual lifespans when not kept by idiots or small children ( 30 years at least ) and filtration requirements ( External is really needed to be honest ) One of my LFS' now has a large sign on the goldfish tanks stating that they should not be kept in less than 80 litres ( still nowhere near enough but far better than a bowl or 10 gal and is a very good start nonetheless ) I saw the guy also advising a couple not to have a goldfish , which is what they came in for, and instead showed them the small tropicals which were more suitable for their small tank. I was really quite impressed.

Bettas - If they can't be bothered to make space for a 5 gallon on a desk, sideboard or small table, then quite frankly, don't buy fish. There is also NO excuse for not having a filter. Absolutely none whatsoever. If anyone mentions current and how bettas don't like it, SPONGE FIILTERS do not create a current just a few bubbles. Therefore, there is still no excuse not to have one. Same with a heater. A warm sitting room will not always give a stable temperature, a heater will.

Plecs - They are rubbish at "cleaning" algae off the glass. And if the tank has very little algae then they don't need a plec, they need a razorblade or an algae scraper. A fair few of the commonly available bog standard plecs also get huge. The amount of times I've seen people keeping plecs to "clean the glass" when there isn't anything to clean let alone eat, is just saddening.

All of the above will obviously need to be said with less blunt force and more tact . There's a reason I've never gone for a job selling fish myself, and blunt to the point info delivery is why.

Perhaps suggest to management about creating a leaflet or caresheet detailing how to cycle a tank. Offer to write these up yourself if nessecary. Perhaps also some caresheets for the most commonly bought species.

Info on stocking levels, and which fish are likely to be agressive if kept incorrectly ( like barbs being kept in ones and twos when they need six or more ) or eat others when grown ( like angels eating neons for example )

Plecs - They are rubbish at "cleaning" algae off the glass. And if the tank has very little algae then they don't need a plec, they need a razorblade or an algae scraper. A fair few of the commonly available bog standard plecs also get huge. The amount of times I've seen people keeping plecs to "clean the glass" when there isn't anything to clean let alone eat, is just saddening.

that isnt true bn plecos do an amazing job at cleaning algae of the glass.

As hinted at by previous poster, there are two types of fish keeping, hobby and retail.

As a retailer YOU will sometimes have to put your job over what your heart wants to say. That's not saying that you are doing a bad thing or telling lies it's just having to 'bite your tongue' sometimes.

For example, when someone asks "what do I have to do before adding fish to my shiny new tank"
You will really want to say "Pop down the hardware store and get a bottle of ammonia and do a fishless cycle"
Not good for your store. You will need to get some sales going so, a test kit (quite rightly) will be offered followed by a large bottle of 'Cycle' (which we all know is pointless) and a good selection of gordy colored gravel and decorations as that probably is all that you stock (even though you know that once they become 'old hands' they will want to swap all that for more natural stuff which means more sales)

My advice would be to ONLY offer advice that keeps livestock safe and happy and be very careful from quoting too much from what you read on these forums and NEVER admit to the boss that you even come here (just for the sake of your job:lol: We know what's right and how to cut corners but our livelihood is not on the line.

Hey, and btw (from someone currently unemployed) bloody well done! :hooray:

that isnt true bn plecos do an amazing job at cleaning algae of the glass.

I can honestly say I've never noticed an improvement in my grandfathers tanks.

If algae is a real problem and a fish is wanted instead of manual removal, then Otos are better for the job when the tank is mature enough. It's not worth adding to the bioload when there's a relatively small amount that can be removed by hand.

as soon as im 16 this year im aplying for a summer job in a fish shop i will not give out bad advise

im not sure ther people in the fishstores are that clever but im sure you will do fine
tbh i would give advise as you wish
if the store wants you two mislead people into keeping fish in cruel conditions, quit

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back