New Ideas

Bigd5482

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
147
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Ok so I took the advice of the people who helped me with a thread I posted last week. I found a new home for the german blue rams I had and the other 2 black neons. Buddy of my dads took them as he had a tank set up for them he's been fish keeping for at least 20 years so I know they'll have a good home. Tehlove he also yelled at me for keeping the rams in the tank why'll doing a fishin cycle. So now what is in the tank and for those who didn't see my post last week its a 29 gal tank and have been doing a cycle for about 3 and a half weeks. Currently in the tank :

4 tiger barbs
2 female guppies
3 male guppies

Current water stats (can post whole cycle log if anyone wanted to know it) are :

Ammonia : 0 this is daily now as the cycle has moved into the Nitrites going up
Nitrite : 1.0 or lower (normally lower due to me doing water changes)
Nitrate : 10
PH : 7.4

I'm currently doing water changes as needed to keep nitrites down. These numbers were just pulled from the tank and yes I did a 50% wc before posting this I know the nitrites were quite high. Now for what I would like to add to the tank after cycle is complete and obviously not all at once.

3 honey gouramis (1 male and 2 female)
male and female German blue ram (I really liked these and was sorry for needing to give them to a new home but I know it was for their own good)
Bristlenose Catfish

Now with that being said not sure if I could add more fish to set up or not. Now the issue with the barbs so far they have not been nipping at any of the guppies or the tetras or rams when I had them. For the most part they stay together. Now if this changed I already have my LFS who will take them if my dads friend cannot take them if they get nippy or based on what advice I get from ya'all. I would like to keep the tigers if possible as I do enjoy the barbs but if I can't keep tiger's are cherry's or some other barb a possibility?

Any other ideas or advice on tank for other fish that can be add or if no others can go in the tank or what I plan to add won't work are greaty appreciated.
Oh and also if what I plan to add will work how should I add them and which should go first and what not as to not set the tank into a whirlwind with levels?

Thanks in advance.
 
Well if you really want to keep the barbs perhaps you should up there numbers instead of adding a different fish. Not only will this allow more of the fish you like but aggressive fish kept in groups spread the aggression making them even less likely to fin nip. Also depending on the substance you used on bottom you may want to try some bottom feeders. Loache, corydory and some plecos would make great additions. Just make sure if you do Plecos you choose one that keeps small. BN Plecos are ideal but tend to cost a little extra (14 bucks for me last I checked for one). Cory and Loache need to be kept in 5+. In the 30 I would suggest perhaps 7 Cory or 5 Loache. Just a suggestion. Also to be safe wait 1-2 weeks after your tank is cycled to let it catch up before you add more fish this way there may be less chance of a mini cycle (the longer you wait the better).
 
thoose tiger barbs should never be in with guppies

As they mature you will end up with 4 sharks and 4 billion beaten up guppies.

The guppies will reproduce faster than rabits

The tiger barbs will also turn vewry nasty as they get older

A 29gallon tank makes a lovely Species only tank for tiger barbs on there own!

Up there numbers to 10 you can mix the green albino and normal ones and enjoy them for what they are they will give you spectacular displays during fighting (its normal and fine)

Loose the guppies
 
Going to keep that as an option for a species only tank. That makes sense cause right now they're not bothering any fish but they're still young also so. Still right now though I'm thinking I'm leaning more towards giving up the barbs so I can add the other fish in. So at this point going to go for the 2 german blues which are awesome fish and my orginal stock minus the barbs. Is that orginal that I posted suitable? That being the 2 GBR, 3 honeys and the BN cat. I'm not sure but with those and the guppies is there room for anything else that can go with them?

Oh and for the guppies my dads buddy is a big guppy lover and breeds them and actually has deals set up with LFS that take them so if I keep them I have a place to send the little guys once they're big enough. I'd also like to add in like 5 cherry shrimp but would any of the fish eat them that I plan to add to the tank?
 
Tiger barbs would kill any young and may kill or injur fully grown adults I wouldn't take the risk
 
yep not going to going to have the LFS take em. Would the rest of my setup work then if the barbs were given to a new home? Also if I added in what I mentioned could I get away with maybe 5 cherry barbs or 5 of some sort of tetra?

Also another idea I had if possible what if instead of the 2 GBR I had a breeding pair of Kribs?
 
If you removed the barbs and guppies I dont see why it wouldent work. The guppies will breed like rabbits though so if you keep them the other fish will eat the fry as well the shrimp you would like. And yes cherry shrimp should work. Just be patient and once the cycle is done WAIT, do not add right away, plan your moved and dont be in a rush.

Also if your topic is within the first 10 then there is no need to bump
 

Most reactions

Back
Top