New here and wondering what brand tank to buy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MammaBearinTN

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm so happy to be here, as I been thinking of getting back into tropical fish after several years without.

Mainly, I'm concerned about buying a tank that won't leak, so I'm looking for the tank with the reputation for the best structural integrity. My entire house has wood floors, so I have no option there and that makes me a bit nervous.

I'm thinking of starting with something small like 29 or 30 gallons, although I may go larger.

Thanks for any help!

I have honestly never given any consideration to what brand my tank is! So, I don't have any great advice. I don't think it really matters, honestly. The only tanks I've ever had leak were very old, second-hand tanks that had obviously been mistreated. They are all built about the same.

If it's a worry, go with some of the big names (fluval, marineland, penn plax, even tetra, which produces a lot of junk but their tanks have a good rep). Big name or not, definitely fill it in a safe place (garage floor is a good bet--just make sure it's absolutely level) and let it sit for a couple days to make sure it's seaworthy. Then you can empty it and place it on that nice, wood floor with confidence.

Thanks for the advice. Before we moved here, I had tile in my family room where I did my fishkeeping, so I never really worried about this. As we're heading into retirement, I can't afford to change the floors if I have a terrible leak or tank crash! :(

Previous response was a very good one. Any tank you buy can leak. Fill it up and let it sit for a few days to test for leaks before you start adding substrate, plants, and putting it in its permanent spot. If you really want peace of mind you can buy an aquarium silicone and go over the seams. Also be sure you have an aquarium mat under the glass to account for any unevenness that could make a stress point somewhere in the tank.

I can't advice on brands because I only do small tanks and prefer rimless.

As @WhistlingBadger pointed out, make sure the tank you end up choosing is on a stable surface, no shaking, and it is leveled. Put a foam mat underneath to help.

One more thought... I'm looking into my next tank which will be a 20 gallon and I want to go rimless. The LFS guy told me that this (rimless) is fine for smaller tanks but as you go larger it's 'safer' to have a rim from a structural stability standpoint. Just thought I'd mention that since leaks are a particular concern.

One more thought... I'm looking into my next tank which will be a 20 gallon and I want to go rimless. The LFS guy told me that this (rimless) is fine for smaller tanks but as you go larger it's 'safer' to have a rim from a structural stability standpoint. Just thought I'd mention that since leaks are a particular concern.
Thanks! My last tank (several years ago) was 55 gallons, but I want to go smaller. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have enough room for the fish I want. :(

I'd like to try three german blue rams (1m, 2f) and three pearl gouramis (1m, 2f). I've kept these species together in a larger tank along with other fish, but don't know that they would do too well in a 30 gallon. I'd also add some type of bottom feeder and that's it. (I'd love some corydoras, but there's no way I could keep a school of corys as well as the other fish.)
I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks!

I have had lots of.brands. Currently, I have a Tetra 10 gallon, a Marineland 38 gallon bowfront, a Marineland 75 gallon rectangle and an unknown brand 30 gallon breeder tank that I resealed myself to avoid any worries about leaks.

They have all held water very well for years now.

If money is not a major.concern, and.you want a different look, you could always look into an.acrylic tank. They cost more, but are less likely to leak. This is what I am going to look in to when I start a marine tank.

I'd like to try three german blue rams (1m, 2f) and three pearl gouramis (1m, 2f). I've kept these species together in a larger tank along with other fish, but don't know that they would do too well in a 30 gallon. I'd also add some type of bottom feeder and that's it. (I'd love some corydoras, but there's no way I could keep a school of corys as well as the other fish.)
I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks!
I've never kept rams and don't know much about their compatibility with others, so I'll defer to someone else on that, but as far as space goes, they'd probably be fine. Three pearls would do OK in a 30g. Just be very alert for male-on-female aggression when breeding. With most it won't be a problem, but once in a while you get a male who's extra frisky, and he can stress out the girls.

For bottom feeders, you could easily do a school of smaller cories (I currently like the look of adolphois). Do your research on temperature preferences, as some cories like cooler temps than rams. Also, get at least five so they have some buddies to hang out with. Or take the road less travelled and go with dwarf chain loaches, one of my very favorite bottom feeders for small tanks. A school of 8 or 10 would have plenty of room in a 30, and give you some really fun group behaviors. (botia-type loaches interact among themselves in some really interesting ways; you can even hear them talking to each other during feeding time) A few zebra loaches would work, too; again, get at least five or six. Both like a good mix of hiding spots (driftwood, rockwork, and/or plants) and open bottom. Round it out with a few panda garra to stick to the sides and perch on the leaves, and you're all set.

I have both acrylic and glass tanks (2 of each). The acrylic tanks are wonderful to be able to clean because they are so lightweight (even their 50 gallon) and the water is very clear. The downside is that they usually have a structural support at the top that can make it difficult to get equipment and decorations down to certain areas. They also scratch easy so you must use special scouring pads to to leave scratches. In the end, I still say the old-fashioned glass models are my favorite, just because they have a completely open top that allows you to place items anywhere you want to - but then again the sheer weight of them makes it impossible for a small person like myself to clean the glass models - can't really set it in the bathtub to clean it like you can the acryilc. So as yu look at different tanks and see a nic acrylic one, make sure you'll be able to live with any structural supports on top of the tank that will interfere with your plans. The lightness and clarity of an acrylic tank is certaintlu worth something.

I think if leaks re your main concern, getting a seamless (molded from one piece) acrylic tank will be your best bet against leaks. As has been mentioned, they're much more prone to scratching, but as you already have experience keeping fish I think you know what algae removal entails and will hopefully be able to adjust your routines to baby the acrylic surface. At 30g, the acrylic should not be egregiously expensive.

I have honestly never given any consideration to what brand my tank is! So, I don't have any great advice. I don't think it really matters, honestly. The only tanks I've ever had leak were very old, second-hand tanks that had obviously been mistreated. They are all built about the same.

If it's a worry, go with some of the big names (fluval, marineland, penn plax, even tetra, which produces a lot of junk but their tanks have a good rep). Big name or not, definitely fill it in a safe place (garage floor is a good bet--just make sure it's absolutely level) and let it sit for a couple days to make sure it's seaworthy. Then you can empty it and place it on that nice, wood floor with confidence.
Thanks so much for the reply. I've been doing a lot of reading here. It's a great site.

I think if leaks re your main concern, getting a seamless (molded from one piece) acrylic tank will be your best bet against leaks. As has been mentioned, they're much more prone to scratching, but as you already have experience keeping fish I think you know what algae removal entails and will hopefully be able to adjust your routines to baby the acrylic surface. At 30g, the acrylic should not be egregiously expensive.
Well, I definitely have more time to baby the tank than when I was raising children. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back