New halfmoom dumbo betas fin problem. Don’t know what it is.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
That isn't crowntail genetics, they are receding rips. Daily waterchanges of 75%, with substrate vacuuming should do the job. If after a week, it has become worse, then report back. I would also recommend that you do not use stress coat as it contains aloe vera which is harmful to the bettas labyrinth organ. You'll see improvement when the gaps between the fins start growing in transparent like what you see in the first picture. This is new fin growth. In the last picture you can see the new growth has receeded. Incase he's nipping (long finned bettas do this usually as their fins are too heavy and they struggle to reach the surface) add broad leafed plants or "betta hammocks" around the tank near the surface so that the fish can have places to rest
As far as the beta hammocks and plants all my plants are real and I have two hammocks at the top of the tank. I have 3 Java ferns and 2 Anubis nana. He loves to lay on them and swim in the plants

More than welcome....are you using a liquid test kit?...if not, you need one, the API Freshwater Master Test Kit

If you are showing any ammonia at all, the bigger the WC, the better
I am using two test strips. The regular one and ammonia ones. The ammonia is always safe on the test strips. You would recommend the master kit instead of strips?

I am using two test strips. The regular one and ammonia ones. The ammonia is always safe on the test strips. You would recommend the master kit instead of strips?
Yes, the strips can be inaccurate and unreliable, get the liquid test kit ASAP

This is why I’ve been struggling to diagnose him. There is no black around his fins to indicate fin rot and i would think if he’s had it for three weeks it would be jagged. However I don’t think doing a few more water changes to keep things clean would hurt. I really appreciate the advice. The crowntail gene was one of my thoughts. I’ve personally never had a fish with fin rot. So I’m struggling to see early symptoms or what that would look like
It really doesn’t look like fin rot to me, and I have seen plenty of fin rot.

As you said, daily water changes won’t hurt anything, so I would go with that.

Keep a close on eye him and update us if anything drastic changes. :fish:

It really doesn’t look like fin rot to me, and I have seen plenty of fin rot.

As you said, daily water changes won’t hurt anything, so I would go with that.

Keep a close on eye him and update us if anything drastic changes. :fish:
Thankyou so much. I will probably do 30% every 3-4 days. I don’t wanna stress him with too much water changes but I love to keep his tank very clean. I’m going to get new conditioner and try a master test kit as well. Will update with pictures in a few days to see a change. I really appreciate everyone’s help.

In a couple weeks, when half of the bettas fins have disappeared, we can all agree it isn't a crowntail and that it's fin rot ?

Actually it’s neither fin rot or crowntail. I’ve been having problems regulating the temperature the past week. Turns out the thermometer I got for the tank reads bad. I had to stick my food thermometer in there last night to check the temp and my thermometer for the tank is off by 5 degrees. I’m so glad I reached out to everyone because without all the advice and changing conditioners it would have never made me think about this. Always check the temp 2-3 times with different thermometers or one you know works! I got him a self regulating heater now and he is much happier. He’s swimming slower and can calm down much more. Thankyou everyone and I will send updates in a few weeks. He should make a full recovery and his upkeep will be much better Thankyou to everyone here. I’m so very greatful!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back