New Gouramis Need Tank Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Corey90

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I just got Pearl Gourami in my tank and I would like to partially plant the surface of the tank.  I am looking for info on plants that wont spread too fast and take over the tank.  I have other plants and fish that need the light as well.  Any suggestions would be great.  I currently have a 75 G tank that is moderately planted.

Water sprite, cabomba and wisteria won't take over TOO fast. I cut back my wisteria once a month. Fry and gourami all love it!

Amazon frogbit maybe? Or dwarf water lettuce? :)

I used to have Wisteria floating at the surface and my Gold Gouramis loved it...that is until my Tiger and Rosy Barbs picked at it until nothing was left but the stem! 
laugh.png

Thanks for the ideas everyone.  

On another note I noticed today that one of them I believe it is a female is gulping air.  My tank is fully stocked and purchased 4 gourami in total yesterday but this is the only fish breathing from the surface.  Since she is the only one I do not think the tank has an oxygen deficiency.  Is there another reason she may be doing this that I need to look into or is it fairly normal behavior.  Her color and swimming looks fine.

Gouramis are surface breathers. They are part of the Labyrinth species of fish. You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

A lot of surface vegetation is very fast growing. If you buy just a bit of frogbit, in a few months you may be able to sell it to people online for profit. Just make sure there isn't so much that it blocks the gourami from being able to get to the surface. Also make sure that it is legal to obtain that species of plant in your state/country. In CA I cant get any surface vegetation because it's all been banned from the FDA as an invasive species.

My gourami takes a breath from time to time. Doesn't mean there's an NH3 spike or lack of oxygen unless you have cory's that are suffering. My cory even likes to take a jump from time to time. All I hear is a splash of water and I look over and he's all dark and proud of himself.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back